Send us a suggestion!

Partners wanted for Sept zion trip

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by NorthernRap, Jun 29, 2017.

1. NorthernRap

NorthernRap

Heading to Zion in Sept and looking for experienced canyoneers to team up with. We have spent 3 days with Tom Jones learning the ropes. We returned last year with Bill Westerhoff and Laura Dehl learning pothole escape with Imlay and Heaps as our goal. We are returning in September to do Imlay and Heaps. We have done multiple trips down Pine creek, Behunin, Spry, Birch, Subway, Mystery. Planning on doing Englestead, Telephone, Das boots and more before Imlay & Heaps. We will only attempt them if conditions are optimal and as a 2 day in order to enjoy them. Looking forward to hearing from you. What to do a 1 or 2 canyons prior to Imlay & Heaps in order develope a smooth working team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    ratagonia likes this.
  2. Chris Davis

Chris Davis

I'm just a singleton, but I'd be interested in hooking up with you. I'm going down around the weekend of July 29th (doing Middle Echo, Spry, Pine Creek, Behunin, etc.) but would like to return again in Sept. to do more advanced routes. I'm a climber at heart, live in the Salt Lake valley area and enjoy getting out in the mountains when I'm not in the slot canyons.

Last week, I led a group of 6-12 scouts through Birch and Keyhole; I was able to help out our BSA-certified guide by applying a leap-frog technique to get us through faster. I was able to take these boys out 5 times prior to teach them the ropes. The guide said it was the fastest group he's ever taken. I know my stuff, but am always excited to learn more. I haven't met Tom personally (although I'm a big fan of his gear and recommendations).

Anyway, get in touch with me at your convenience.
    Aussie likes this.
  3. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

If you guys want a basecamp in La Verkin, the house sleeps 20.
  4. NorthernRap

NorthernRap

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great time helping the scouts learn the ropes. Would enjoy chatting about canyoneering and the techniques we use. We typically single strand rapell with a biner block using a piranha or a squirrel on 8 or 8.3 ropes out of rope bags. Always interested in learning more.

5. NorthernRap

NorthernRap

Thanks for the offer, traveling with RV staying in Virgin for a month. Would enjoy meeting up or doing a canyon. Let us know.

6. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Hello NorternRap, it sounds like your team has some fun adventures on the radar. Curious, given your stated typical usage of biner blocks what is your preferred (i.e. most proficiently deployed) convert method?
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks for your kind words.

Just a note of nomenclature, I hope. A "guide" is a paid professional. You probably mean "leader". Unless you mean "guide". Guiding (ie, getting paid) is not legal inside the Park, and is not legal in Birch Hollow (BLM) without a guiding permit. In addition, the BSA does not certify "guides".

Tom
  8. NorthernRap

NorthernRap

What do you mean by convert method?

9. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

He's asking how you convert your biner block to a lower case a person gets stuck on rappel.
    ScottM likes this.
  10. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Thanks Brian. NorthernRap, just curious as to your rescue plan (if needed) while using biner blocks. Releasable blocks are typically only 2-3 seconds longer to deploy vs. biner blocks. I'm not trying to criticize, only ask due to the fact that you mentioned a desire to learn more above.
  11. NorthernRap

NorthernRap

Learned the biner block by ZAC. Never had a problem yet. Always willing to learn what do you suggest.

12. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

Northern Rap what are you dates in Sept as I'm looking for an excuse to run Heaps and Imlay again.
  13. NorthernRap

NorthernRap

Sept 10-30th. Sorry it took so long been in the backcountry.