Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Superstitions Parker Canyon 2-14-17

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Ram

Ram

Ah the smell of fresh rain in the desert! It rains, it stops, it rains, all the time offering a birthday afternoon light show. On the docket for the next day was Parker. I had done this canyon years before with Todd, one late January. We tossed in the Jug in the PM then. That evening many of the Arizona crew gathered at Roosevelt Reservoir, to tell lies....except with Zona exploration, you don't have to lie, or even exaggerate. A short story from that evening
    https://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/canyontales/ram/?i=adifferentbreed

With so many new canyons to do in the neighborhood, I questioned Wes and Todd.....Why Parker? The sparkle in their eyes convinced me and Jenny before the words were registered, for me anyway. Something about lots of water making it more exciting. When that sunk in, it made me nervous, but what the hey...we came here to be "shown" the goods and they promised goods. And the goods were delivered.

When I first did the canyon, we exited the chossy and ugly Cadillac exit. They promise more canyon. They promise the best of the canyon. They promise a much more pleasant exit. Who am I to argue? What Todd and Wes call exciting is when the anchors are covered by fast moving, foamy, water. Anchors down there somewhere, in the water. Alternatives found, making the experience more engaging. More "water in the face" rappelling, but nothing too scare me too much. A light rain arrives for our final rap. The exit hill made more pleasant due to the cooling effect of the drizzle. A wonderful day, also punctuated by colorful rock, moss and other eye candy. We drive to a new camp, as the sun shines, with nice views and the occasional cloud that sprinkles a touch of rain. We are poised for the next day's canyon. On a roll, thanks to our friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. robert kyslovsky

robert kyslovsky

Jenny Rocks...the other guys and Parker also looking okay...but Jenny Rocks!!!
    Ram likes this.
  3. Ram

Ram

You got that one right. We seem to be a culture enamored with youth. Also those with the loudest voices. But there is often the most to learn from those that won't demand to be heard. Who you have to ask. Who will stop if interrupted. It was great to watch Todd and Wes discover, in increments, how many "lives" Jenny has lived already. I have been encouraged by many to compile stories for a book of my experiences. Has anyone asked her? Her stories are so much more interesting. They have many forms, reflecting so many experiences, but the ones I heard recently, in more detail (ask, demand the detail) touch on others and us overcoming "what we think already" going into our daily interactions and how to "get out of our own way" and discover what others are really trying to say, ask for, give. Listen well and you will hear more than a tale of our own limitations, but of extraordinary people and their story, ignored, as they stand right in front of us, somehow invisible to us. Now that is compelling stuff. Jenny rocks? You bet. A whole mountain side's worth. But ya gotta ask and then REALLY listen...hint....ask about the disabled folks on river trips she has led.

Can she canyon? Oh yeah...... that too.
  4. MrAdam

MrAdam

Wow. All those pools everyone is standing in are normally swims. I will mourn the loss of one of my favorite slides in AZ.
  5. Ram

Ram

They pools and slides will be back! When is the only question. Hopefully soon. I think one of the slides was just bypassed this time due to the amount of water.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. Todd Martin

Todd Martin

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      192.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
    homerj, Jared Robertson, Wes1 and 3 others like this.