Send us a suggestion!

Park Fee Increase Proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canyonero, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=75576

This is supposedly to provide more funds for maintenance, but it should have the fortunate side effect of lightening the crowds (at the expense of lightening our wallets.)

$70 per car any every park you're interested in going to, but only $75 for a single park year pass. I couldn't find anything about what a National Parks Pass would go to, but at $80 it's a heck of a deal.

I'm skeptical it'll reduce crowding much, since lots of those visitors came from the East Coast or Japan and the park entrance fee is still the least of their expenses. It'll probably just tilt visitation even more away from locals toward those doing a once in a lifetime trip.
  2. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Canyonero said: I'm skeptical it'll reduce crowding much, since lots of those visitors came from the East Coast or Japan and the park entrance fee is still the least of their expenses. It'll probably just tilt visitation even more away from locals toward those doing a once in a lifetime trip.

I agree. That said, not too long ago I was lamenting the fact to friends that back in the day (okay the late 80s and early 90s) backcountry permits at grand canyon were no cost...even long multi day permits which came printed on multiple segments of Tyvek like paper material. Not so anymore. Free is long gone. But as my small group sat there at camp in the Ditch enjoying its magnificence after a day of canyoning recognized, regardless of the cost, its one of the best deals on earth.

That said, its a National Park, and in my humble opinion I believe every American, as birth right, deserves clean water, air, opportunities for quality education, comprehensive health care coverage, and unlimited access to NATIONAL parks and related backcountry routes.
    townsend, Kenmoto and Rapterman like this.
  3. Taylor

Taylor

I have no problem with the price increase. I'll still buy an annual Parks pass and be mostly unaffected by the increase.
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. estewesto

estewesto

The NPS needs to issue permits just to get into the park. I hadn't been to Zion in 10 years and I've been 4 times this year. I can't believe the over crowding. It's worse in Zion vs Yosemite. Soon they will offer passes for 250 a day to drive up the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. AW~

AW~

Ive never seen money spent on development lessen crowds, except for the construction delays.
    Given this is a tax and spend, I wont be expecting much development....Id actually think the deferred maintenance will snowball so more scare tactics can be used to increase fees. A tax and spend which legitimizes an incompetent outdoor tourism industry owned workforce IMO.

One of the items on the list is the Grand Canyon 20 mile pipeline, which is supported by the Grand Canyon Trust et al...."According to park officials, work on the new pipeline would start in early 2020, take three to four years to complete and cost $75 million to $124 million."..."The break prompted a lodge on the North Rim to cancel hotel reservations and tanker trucks had to haul in water to fill storage tanks for drinking water"..OMG, this is completely unacceptable? It was the perfect place to meet and organize against the Native American development plans?