Send us a suggestion!

Paria floods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Ram

Ram

spinesnaper, Sam G and carol like this.
  2. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

That would have been interesting.
  3. Aquaman

Aquaman

That literally made me laugh out loud. Interesting, and scary.

As Ram said, hope nobody was in there. Does anybody know?
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Ram likes this.
  4. canyoncaper

canyoncaper

I drove over to Lee's Ferry today. The Paria had definatley flooded. It was running chocolate mud this afternoon. The Colorado was clear and. blue at mile 0. At Navajo Bridge the Colorado was chocolate mud - I assume from the Paria.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Mike Zampino and Ram like this.
  5. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

I have done Paria about 5 or 6 times. One always camps up on the berms and benches. I wonder if the typical bench is high enough to be above a 1000cfs flow? I also wonder how high water would be in Buckskin with that rate of flow?
    Ram likes this.
  6. Ram

Ram

Sent to me by Felicia. Seen this fella's videos before. This is from 2 days ago, near Big Water, just a handful of miles or so from the Paria area and likely happening at the same time as the Paria floods

Jolly Green likes this.
  7. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Ram

Thank you and Felicia for the video. In Buckskin, depending on where you were caught, that might be 6 to 10 feet of flow and probably lethal. In Paria proper, that looks like an unplanned lay over day, which should always be an anticipated contingency. As I recall every once in while Paria is hit with a 10,000-40,000 cfs flood event.

Especially solo, Paria can stir the imagination. The very first time I backpacked Paria, on the last night I woke around 3 am to relieve myself. I heard rustling and looked over at my gas primus brass stove (okay, this was awhile ago) and saw a small field mouse sitting in my stove. It froze in the headlight beam and urinated all over the stove. My first thought was, great huntavirus. Love that hike.

Ken
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Ram likes this.