Send us a suggestion!

Paria Canyon Permit System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spinesnaper, Mar 13, 2015.

1. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

If this devolves into a bitch, I apologize in advance.

In the past I think I planned ahead to obtain a permit for Paria Canyon (Wire Pass to Lees Ferry). No planning this year. Here is the thing, the BLM does not seem to have a mechanism for walk up permits. It seems the permits are all released ahead of time. What happens to permits when people don't use them, which for example happens all the time for Mt. Whitney? For Mt Whitney, you have to physically pick up the permit the day before or call by a certain hour the day before to have the permits set out for pick up after hours. If you don't call or pick up the permit, they are released after 2 PM so they are available for use. Does the BLM do this and just not have this information on their site? Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Ken
    Ram likes this.
  2. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

I have corresponded with John Diener of the Coalition of American Canyoneers. He will bring this matter before their next full board meeting. I think this is an issue that needs some advocacy. The current system is probably not so easy to administer and we all know that the permit system for the Wave managed by the same BLM agency must be overwhelming for them. However, with public input, I think the overnight permit system for the Paria Canyon can be made to better serve the hiking and canyoneering community.

Ken
    VegasHikeLife likes this.