Send us a suggestion!

Padding

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Michael Eastern, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Michael Eastern

Michael Eastern

Has anyone experimented with using mountain bike pads in canyoneering? I'm especially interested in knee and or shin guards. My crew just finished a trip to do some swiftwater canyons in the PNW, and we ended up doing a lot of rappels on our knees and shins because the footing was too slick to be reliable and we were trying to avoid slipping/penduluming. I'm also planning on wearing my drysuit under protective layers next time we head up there, so I'm especially interested in making sure I have plenty of protection. I probably wouldn't wear my drysuit in the most abrasive environments like north wash and such.
  2. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

I wear my cave coveralls to protect my drysuit in these conditions.
  3. Michael Eastern

Michael Eastern

Link? What is it made of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Neoprene elbow and knee pads are pretty much default for all my canyon adventures, regardless of whether or not I’m wearing a wetsuit.

Wrestling knee pads seems to work very well. Those from Asics and McDavid are of particularly high quality.
    Kuenn likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Could you be specific about which pads you are thinking about? As in, a link to a product?

Tom
  7. Michael Eastern

Michael Eastern

I was thinking something along these lines - https://www.amazon.com/G-Form-Pro-S...ns&keywords=mountain biking shin guards&psc=1, but I'm not a mountain biker so it's not my area of expertise. I got the idea of mountain bike pads specifically because I know they have a lot of clothing with padding built in. I do really like the suggestion of a caving suit to go over a drysuit for PNW canyons. I'm also intrigued by the wrestling pads suggestion.
  8. risk

risk

In addition to elbow and knee pads I've used padded football shorts in canyons with lots of stemming, downcliming and squeezing before with great success.
  9. zul

zul

When doing skinny canyons, seems like the knee/elbow is what gets dinged up the most. I wouldn't bother with the shin pads, knee is still vulnerable. I don't think the wrestling pads will work to protect the drysuit, those coveralls seem best for that.

In the skinny canyons, most everyone wears elbow/knee pads. They are expensive and tare up in a single season. I have found that highly skilled climbers can get away without pads and it amazes me. Where I would be shredded, they walk out without a scratch. Hats off to those skills.

I use and like the fit/feel of the McDavid pads -- elbows wear out faster than knees - for me. I'm going to try these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B9KB4L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2QK9I3AAORRZQ&psc=1
    And will post up a review when I can. They are much cheaper as you get a pair for $13, McDavid $20 for each pad.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Those look good. Also, they look rather long, which helps keep them in place.

Tom
  11. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

I have been using https://g-form.com/ for all my whitewater stand up paddleboarding and they also work great for canyoneering. They pack very small as well. Not cheap but if you search online you can usually find some on closeout or a sale.
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero

You can get a whole season out of your armor? :)

I go through knees faster, but they both last twice as long when coated (sometimes repeatedly) with thinned roofing sealant.

The problem with the "highly skilled climber" approach is it takes a lot of time and energy. Just sliding down the elevators does tear up your gear, but preserves your muscles to fight an hour from now when they must be used. And in long canyons, particularly in worsening weather, speed is safety.
    zul and ratagonia like this.