Send us a suggestion!

Pack Raft Thread

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by townsend, Aug 10, 2017.

1. townsend

townsend

Maybe (or maybe not?) we need a single thread devoted to a variety of "watercraft" suitable for canyoneering adventures.

Here is one idea: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kokopelli-hornet-lite-packraft?1=1&utm_placement=8&referer=4W4VR3&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-08-10&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1502404145273.798250541515582927592385

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Specs
    • Kokopelli
    • Color: Blue sidewall, black floor
    • Sidewall construction: 70d double-coated nylon
    • Floor construction: 210d double-coated nylon, V-tape
    • All seams are sealed with 1 in (2.5 cm) seam tape
    • Chambers: 1
    • Inflation time: 3 min
    • Load capacity: 275 lbs (125 kg)
    • Outside dimensions, L x W: 85 x 37 in (216 x 94 cm)
    • Tube diameter: 11 in (28 cm)
    • Cockpit dimensions, L x W: 51 x 15.5 in (130 x 39 cm)
    • Weight, packraft with inflatable seat: 4 lbs 15 oz (2,223 g)
    • Weight, inflation bag: 4 oz (113 g)
    Included
    • Field repair kit
  2. joeb

joeb middle aged guy who lies around alot

what's the cost and anyone have experience with this model?
  3. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I currently have 3 kokopelli packrafts but not this particular "ultra light" model. The shape/design seems pretty much the same as with my Nirvana's just a different material. They can handle big water, no doubt about it.

When it comes to canyoneering adventures where weight matters the Supai Adventure boats are the way to go. I have the larger matkat model and one of their paddles for a combined total of 3.25 pounds.
    andrew vaughan likes this.
  4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

We've used the Klymit Litewater Dinghy for a few adventures in the GC. 35 oz and a much cheaper option than the Supai boats. That being said, I would upgrade to the Supai boat in a second if I was going to spend any real time on a river. The Klymits sit very high out of the water and have minimal back support. For big guys like me (6'6", 210), it's a stretch to say I actually fit on it. For me, it did great when I only had a day pack with me but when we did Cove this year with an overnight pack, it took on way more water and I was basically sitting in a bathtub the whole time. The smaller, lighter members of our group didn't have the same problem so it may be a more viable option for you little people. My random guess at a cutoff with a full pack would be 200 lbs. It did handle the minor rapids pretty well though. Bring some paracord to run around the edges to clip you and your pack to in case you tip.

Basically, if you are headed to the GC as a one and done, get one of those cheap-o $20 explorer rafts. If you want to try out GC stuff to see if you like it, the Klymit is worth using as an entry boat. If you are going to be running GC canyons on a regular basis, I would get the Supai or consider other more expensive options presented in this thread.

https://www.klymit.com/litewater-dinghy.html

Fit with daypack after Waterholes
    P2251039.JPG

A bunch of dinghys
    P2251040.JPG

Fit of a 50L pack after Cove
    P2241707.JPG
    Bill and townsend like this.
  5. townsend

townsend

Here you go, a light weight pack raft "paddle", only 20 oz.:

4-Piece Breakdown Paddle
    Designed for maximum portability, the Advanced Elements Ultralight Pack Paddle weighs 23.6 ounces, measures 88.2 inches when assembled, and breaks down to a travel-ready 23.6 inches. The durable aluminum shaft features a four-part construction with drip rings on either end that prevent the water on your paddle blades from reaching your hands or lap. For an even more compact setup that’ll cut 3.6 ounces off your pack weight, use only one middle shaft section between the two blades. A great pairing for the Advanced Elements PackLite or Klymit Lite Water Dinghy, this is among the most affordable solutions for light packrafting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Specs
    • Advanced Elements
    • Material, shaft: Aluminum
    • Assembled length, full setup: 88.2 in (224 cm)
    • Packed length, full setup: 23.6 in (60 cm)
    • Weight, full setup: 23.6 oz (669 g)
    • Assembled length, minimalist setup: 66.5 in (169 cm)
    • Packed length, minimalist setup: 23.6 in (60 cm)
    • Weight, minimalist setup: 20 oz (567 g)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/advanced-elements-ultralight-paddle?1=1&utm_placement=12&referer=4W4VR3&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2017-08-20&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1503230860336.670583745886271777075634

P.S. No, I do not work for massdrop, and never have, nor will. I have no relatives who work for massdrop. I don't know anybody who works at massdrop. Just forwarding interesting gear to engage your GAS (= gear acquisition syndrome).:thumbsup:
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

7. Herve

Herve

Interesting feedback Jolly Green. I've had a different experience with the Supai Flatwater and the Klymit (4 grand canyon trips, 2 with each). I'm over 200 pounds with my backpack so I was using the Supai above its designated weight limit. My experience has been that both take water as often but the Klymit is more maneuverable when it is full or water, because the bed is higher so it takes in a smaller amount of water. The Supai when full of water is real hard to stear at all. The Klymit is indeed not very comfortable, it feels like you are working your abs all the time to stay in position. I guess I should try the new Supai Matkat since I was using the Supai Flatwater beyond its specs!

Herve