Send us a suggestion!

Outrageous Ouray Day with Canyoning Colorado

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christopher Mattera, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Christopher Mattera

Christopher Mattera

I wanted to take a moment and share with this community the outrageously great and affordable day my buddy and I had recently with Canyoning Colorado, a local Ouray business owned and operated by Andrew Humphries and his wife and partner Mairi. For a hundred and fifty dollars, nearly half the cost of the main mountain guide service in town, we were met promptly on time at 8am in the town park behind the visitors center for a six hour day featuring Angel Creek and Portland Creek. Leaving our car behind Andrew did the driving in the Canyoning Colorado truck and soon we were at the first trailhead. At this point we were outfitted with top of the line Vade Retro neoprene suits, Adidas Hydro shoes, and Edelweiss harnesses and scuttlebuts. Easily we were wearing half a grand in new gear, super comfortable and exceptionally functional. After enjoying lovely Angel Creek, we took a lunch break back at the park where we had first met Andrew earlier in the morning. We did not realize, but lunch was included in the price! We were prepared for our usual hiking lunch of a handful of trail mix, etc...but instead, Andrew took our orders and Mairi met us in the park with delicious fare from Maggie's Farm--a local eatery we had planned to try anyway, so it was a pleasant surprise. Maggie's gets high marks on Trip Advisor, and we soon learned why. Next up, after lunch (actually I ought to add we also had high tea at noon via Andrew's thermos, a nod to Mairi's English sensibilities) anyway, after lunch it was off to the Baby Bathtubs above the waterfall, and soon enough down the technical section of Portland Creek. The beauty of both canyon locations, despite their relative easy technically speaking, is not to be missed, and contrasts wildly against the redrock canyons on the Plateau. Also included in the price is the opportunity to spend some time with a fellow who has canyoned around the world on every continent except Antarctica, pioneered first descents on a global level, and trains all levels including experts helping them become...more expert-ly. As if the day, gear, lunch, transportation, and conversation about international canyoning were not enough, Andrew also sends you a TON of photos a few days after the hike. I took my waterproof canon and got some decent shots like the one below...BUT Andrew knows where to find the best shots having tramped through these canyons so often, and he sets the clients up with dozens of money shots. I believe he took over a hundred photos of our group of three. We bid Andrew farewell till next season when we will return for some bigger canyons with Canyoning Colorado, for sure! Having only a long weekend, by buddy and I, we then made for the La Sals (this was around labor day) and we had a great time descending Pleiades, Dragon Fly, U turn and Fins and Things...what great beauty and fun to be had in those little corners of the San Juans, the La Sals, and the Colorado Plateau (Arches). Give Canyoning Colorado a try, I cant imagine anyone not absolutely loving the experience.

[​IMG]
  2. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

Glad you had a great experience. I ran some ouray canyons earlier this year (self guided) and will for sure be going back next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  3. Andrew Humphreys

Andrew Humphreys

Thanks for the shout Chris! We had a great time with you too!