Send us a suggestion!

OT: Photo organizing software

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Tim Hoover, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Guest

I know some of the folks on this group are prodigious photographers. For that subset that keeps things organized, how do you do it? I've been searching for photo organizing/searching software without success. Does anyone have software that they really love for this purpose?

To be clear, I am only loking for organizing/searching software. Editing software I have plenty of. Specifically, I'm looking for an application that combines a simple relational database with some basic display functions. i.e. something that allows more than simple tags or star ratings. This seems like the most trivial and obvious thing one can do with a large collection of photgraphs, but I can't seem to find any software that does it.

Anybody?

Tim
  2. Hi Tim, I'm guessing you are looking for a traditional app and not an online app but I thought I'd plug Flickr. Flickr has an amazing number of ways to slice and dice your photos so you can find them again - tagging, sets, collections, groups, galleries etc. I can always find what I'm looking for by joining multiple tags. Downside is prodigious photographers would want a pro account - $25/yr.

For traditional software, I'd guess you could setup a MySQL db (open source) to do what you want - if you had time to figure it out.

-steve http://smestdagh.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message ---- From: Tim Hoover frisbeedog02@yahoo.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:56:08 AM Subject: [from Canyons Group] OT: Photo organizing software

I know some of the folks on this group are prodigious photographers. For that subset that keeps things organized, how do you do it? I've been searching for photo organizing/searching software without success. Does anyone have software that they really love for this purpose?

To be clear, I am only loking for organizing/searching software. Editing software I have plenty of. Specifically, I'm looking for an application that combines a simple relational database with some basic display functions. i.e. something that allows more than simple tags or star ratings. This seems like the most trivial and obvious thing one can do with a large collection of photgraphs, but I can't seem to find any software that does it.

Anybody?

Tim

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the "Edit My Membership" link, and change your delivery option. Press "Save Changes".

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
  3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Guest

Thanks Steve - I've heard good things about flickr but indeed I'm looking for something for the photos I have on my home computer. I've thought about a homemade database but that would be awkward for the display function. I just can't believe that something so simple isn't already commercially available.

Anybody else?

--- On Wed, 10/7/09, steve mestdagh s_mestdagh@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: steve mestdagh s_mestdagh@yahoo.com
    Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] OT: Photo organizing software > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 9:41 AM > Hi Tim, > I'm guessing you are looking for a traditional app and not > an online app but I thought I'd plug Flickr. Flickr has an > amazing number of ways to slice and dice your photos so you > can find them again - tagging, sets, collections, groups, > galleries etc.  I can always find what I'm looking for > by joining multiple tags. Downside is prodigious > photographers would want a pro account - $25/yr.
    For traditional software, I'd guess you could setup a MySQL > db (open source) to do what you want - if you had time to > figure it out.
    > -steve > http://smestdagh.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message ---- > From: Tim Hoover frisbeedog02@yahoo.com
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:56:08 AM > Subject: [from Canyons Group] OT: Photo organizing > software
    I know some of the folks on this group are prodigious > photographers. For that subset that keeps things organized, > how do you do it? I've been searching for photo > organizing/searching software without success. Does anyone > have software that they really love for this purpose?
    To be clear, I am only loking for organizing/searching > software. Editing software I have plenty of. Specifically, > I'm looking for an application that combines a simple > relational database with some basic display functions. i.e. > something that allows more than simple tags or star ratings. > This seems like the most trivial and obvious thing one can > do with a large collection of photgraphs, but I can't seem > to find any software that does it.
    Anybody?
    Tim
    >      
    > ---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to > make reading and searching easier.  You can use the > following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon > Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH > = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE > = Stuff for Sale.  Please use a Tilde ~ after the > abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup > page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > "Edit My > Membership" link, and change your delivery > option. Press "Save > Changes".
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups > Links

>      
    > ---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to > make reading and searching easier.  You can use the > following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon > Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH > = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE > = Stuff for Sale.  Please use a Tilde ~ after the > abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup > page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > "Edit My > Membership" link, and change your delivery > option. Press "Save > Changes".
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups > Links
    >     mailto:<a href="/group/canyons/post?postID=Mdx_KyoALo2FnfhM48JW1JAb-xoGgM67QmLQVV2uEwI66GnGvfMz0Lvwm-XixTc2xyeFkeG4EfXgt7YjJzdW9ySpZBjZ7N0173PbcNEx">canyons-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com</a
  4. Chris Trask

Chris Trask Guest

Tim,

I know some of the folks on this group are prodigious
    > photographers. For that subset that keeps things organized,
    > how do you do it? I've been searching for photo
    > organizing/searching software without success. Does anyone
    > have software that they really love for this purpose?

To be clear, I am only loking for organizing/searching
    > software. Editing software I have plenty of. Specifically,
    > I'm looking for an application that combines a simple
    > relational database with some basic display functions. i.e.
    > something that allows more than simple tags or star ratings.
    > This seems like the most trivial and obvious thing one can
    > do with a large collection of photgraphs, but I can't seem
    > to find any software that does it.

> I'm guessing you are looking for a traditional app and not
    an online app but I thought I'd plug Flickr. Flickr has an
    amazing number of ways to slice and dice your photos so you
    can find them again - tagging, sets, collections, groups,
    galleries etc. I can always find what I'm looking for
    by joining multiple tags. Downside is prodigious
    photographers would want a pro account - $25/yr.

For traditional software, I'd guess you could setup a MySQL
    db (open source) to do what you want - if you had time to
    figure it out.
    > Thanks Steve - I've heard good things about flickr but indeed I'm looking > for something for the photos I have on my home computer. I've thought about > a homemade database but that would be awkward for the display function. I > just can't believe that something so simple isn't already commercially > available.
    > Anybody else? >

Canon cameras come with some pretty nice software, such as PhotoStitch which lets you merge a panoramic group of photos into one image. Their utility CDROM also has an image sorting and viewing utility called FileViewer. If you know someone who has a Canon digital camera, borrow their CDROM and install those.

Chris
  5. tj_wetherell

tj_wetherell Guest

Tim,

I'd vote for Adobe Lightroom, or Apple Aperture. I use Aperture and really like it. It does have editing features, but you don't have to use them (I do, and now rarely use editing software). Both offer excellent preservation, tagging, and archiving features.

-tom(w)
  6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Guest

Tom I've avoided Lightroom because it seems like massive overkill for what I want, but I may have to break down and download a trial version. It just seems like $300 is a lot when all I really want to do is be able to find all my Landscape/Utah/canyons pictures! Every application seems like it wants to be the one-stop-shopping solution for photo handling. I far prefer to have specialized software for specialized applications, but maybe I'm out of the mainstream of what the developers (marketers?) are doing.

Thanks for the input.

Tim

--- On Wed, 10/7/09, tj_wetherell tj_wetherell@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: tj_wetherell tj_wetherell@yahoo.com
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: OT: Photo organizing software > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 11:46 AM > Tim,
    I'd vote for Adobe Lightroom, or Apple Aperture. I use > Aperture and really like it. It does have editing features, > but you don't have to use them (I do, and now rarely use > editing software). Both offer excellent preservation, > tagging, and archiving features.
    -tom(w)

---
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery > option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    >     mailto:<a href="/group/canyons/post?postID=IRM0iobHHZkYg70ir1k2yrXRRF8-B5x0nMdm6lv1iRabPVwAXd6P-0uAY_Yb2KRoieGO5TJ5_gPJOu0_mcDtaXWdRNhz0eP4f4E">canyons-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com</a
  7. Stan McQueen

Stan McQueen Guest

Have you looked at Photoshop Album? It came with a past version of Photoshop, but I don't know if it's actually marketed separately. It has keywording, searching, and other organizational tools. I have used it to keep track of images that are located on the computer as well as images that are backed up to CD/DVD. It tells me which CD/DVD the image is on, for example.

Stan

Tim Hoover wrote:
    > Tom > I've avoided Lightroom because it seems like massive overkill for what > I want, but I may have to break down and download a trial version. It > just seems like $300 is a lot when all I really want to do is be able > to find all my Landscape/Utah/canyons pictures! Every application > seems like it wants to be the one-stop-shopping solution for photo > handling. I far prefer to have specialized software for specialized > applications, but maybe I'm out of the mainstream of what the > developers (marketers?) are doing.
    Thanks for the input.
    Tim
    --- On Wed, 10/7/09, tj_wetherell <tj_wetherell@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > From: tj_wetherell <tj_wetherell@yahoo.com
    > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: OT: Photo organizing software
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com
    > Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Tim,

I'd vote for Adobe Lightroom, or Apple Aperture. I use
    Aperture and really like it. It does have editing features,
    but you don't have to use them (I do, and now rarely use
    editing software). Both offer excellent preservation,
    tagging, and archiving features.

-tom(w)

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to
    make reading and searching easier. You can use the
    following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon
    Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH
    = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE
    = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the
    abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup
    page on yahoo:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

> This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the
    &amp;amp;quot;Edit My
    Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery
    option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save
    Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email
    to you each day summarizing that day's messages.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you
    must visit the web site to view messages. Groups
    Links

mailto:canyons-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
  8. Hi Tim, Personally I'm comfortable with just using folders with my Mac. I have a number of folder categories that can expand including sub folders. I personally tend to relate to my images from the places and times I create them and use them in file names. Works for me...but Bridge software from Adobe can be useful as system for finding images and for group situations as well. It comes free with CS suites and is nifty for tweaking raw image files too. Scary Larry

Tim Hoover wrote:
    > I know some of the folks on this group are prodigious photographers. For > that subset that keeps things organized, how do you do it? I've been > searching for photo organizing/searching software without success. Does > anyone have software that they really love for this purpose?
    To be clear, I am only loking for organizing/searching software. Editing > software I have plenty of. Specifically, I'm looking for an application > that combines a simple relational database with some basic display > functions. i.e. something that allows more than simple tags or star > ratings. This seems like the most trivial and obvious thing one can do > with a large collection of photgraphs, but I can't seem to find any > software that does it.
    Anybody?
    Tim

--

Watch what you ask for...and be VERY specific

www.cytafex.com

web site of fine Photography
  9. Luke

Luke Guest

I started to think about software to do what you are looking for. I abandoned the idea for 2 reasons.

First

If I start using a program like that I would become dependent on it. The day the developer stopped further development or support would suck. I have been through this with music managing software and have luckily found a replacement that was much better any way. But then I needed to jump through some hoops to get everything converted to the new programs way of dealing with it. A lot of what is done with tagging pictures sorting is based on IPTC or EXIF tags which are standard (kind of). And some of the data is stored using proprietary methods which is what would lead to more pain when later switching to a new product (which would be inevitable). All this got me thinking about how bad I needed it. This led me to reason number 2.

Second

I realized I relate to my pictures the same way Larry does, by time or place. When I want to look at pictures I think to myself.. Remember when? That immediately brings to mind a place and or time frame. I keep a folder on my computer for each year. In each year's folders are sub folders with date and place or event for the name. For example 10-07-09~Angels Landing Trail with friends. If you work out a good naming convention things become quick and easy to find. The key is in working out a naming convention that works for the way you think. I always place the date first making sure each spot for a digit has two digits so the folders show chronologically. For example I do not use 9-4-08~KayakingBlackCanyon, instead it would be 09-04-08~KayakingBlackCanyon. Any way point being the folder system has proven quite effective for me.

The other up side of the folder system is, you will never feel the pain of trying to convert tags etc over to a new program or a new standard. Keep It Simple Stupid (where you can any way).

Ok enough of my rant. If you want to edit the IPTC and EXIF tags on photos but can't find a program you like try iTag. It is free ware developed by a programmer just for fun. It is simple and works well. It is one of the best I have found for that for what it is worth. I don't use the tags for finding my pics but some programs can access the tags to add captions for you etc.

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of Larry Lorusso Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 16:31 To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] OT: Photo organizing software

Hi Tim, Personally I'm comfortable with just using folders with my Mac. I have a number of folder categories that can expand including sub folders. I personally tend to relate to my images from the places and times I create them and use them in file names. Works for me...but Bridge software from Adobe can be useful as system for finding images and for group situations as well. It comes free with CS suites and is nifty for tweaking raw image files too. Scary Larry

Tim Hoover wrote:
    > I know some of the folks on this group are prodigious photographers. For > that subset that keeps things organized, how do you do it? I've been > searching for photo organizing/searching software without success. Does > anyone have software that they really love for this purpose?
    To be clear, I am only loking for organizing/searching software. Editing > software I have plenty of. Specifically, I'm looking for an application > that combines a simple relational database with some basic display > functions. i.e. something that allows more than simple tags or star > ratings. This seems like the most trivial and obvious thing one can do > with a large collection of photgraphs, but I can't seem to find any > software that does it.
    Anybody?
    Tim

--

www.cytafex.com

10. motovated490

motovated490 Guest

11. Tim,

Lightroom is a really great way to organize and quickly edit/tag/tone/export your photos, but I understand your hesitation at the price. But iTag is shareware (for PC, http://www.itagsoftware.com), so I recommend you try it. Uses the standard IPTC metadata protocol for tagging your pics, so your photos will always be searchable no matter what future software you use. Also, you can search by date range, so that makes it easy to find a certain trip folder of photos.

But the biggest thing you can do is follow a strict naming convention for all your photo folders. I use this format: 20091008_UTAH_DING_DANG_SWELL (yearmonthday_keyword_keyword_keyword_keyword)

Rick http://frontrangeriffraff.com/
  12. I'm with Luke; I just use the native OS. I wrote a small program to help rename my photos; now each photo is a date; so they are in chronological order. Ex: 20091007D1-##, then goes to 20091007D2-##, etc. (this was an adaptation of a system I used from film before; the D in D1 means digital...) I add details of that pic in the name of the pic - who is in it, specific arch or mountain name, etc. I then group my pics into subdirs, ex: Main dir is Pics, under pics is 2007, 2008, 2009, etc. Under 2009 is 20090904 - UT, Canyoneering Swell.

This works great to find a specific picture. I can usually remember something about the trip; where I went, who I was with, etc; at worst case, I can search a specific year folder by state.

Since this is just using OS stuff; no need for software. The only downside; as I'm guessing you might have run into, is that I can't say stuff like show me all pics of Utah. For me, that would bring back too many pics anyway. I can search by subdir; so if I was looking for a pic of an arch, I could search at the main pics dir, and search for "Outlaw Arch" or similar.

This has worked for me; and I have far too many photos to try to change things up now.... (72.4GB for over 63,000 photos...)

Good luck! A.J.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <Bluu@...> wrote:
    I started to think about software to do what you are looking for.
  13. I'll second Google's Picasa for being user friendly, highly functional, free and updated constantly. Did I mention it's Google? They my own the world's data someday but they do have wonderful apps!

http://picasaweb.google.com/in2kelp

-Steve
  14. dale_eva.rm

dale_eva.rm Guest

No need to write software for renaming files. I've been using "Bulk rename Utility" for this purpose for years and it works great. For big trips I end up compiling the pics from multiple people/cameras and this lets me rename them all easily.

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Dale

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adventure_geek" <aj@...> wrote:
    I'm with Luke; I just use the native OS. I wrote a small program to help rename my photos; now each photo is a date; so they are in chronological order .....
    > Good luck! > A.J.
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <Bluu@> wrote:

I started to think about software to do what you are looking for. >
  15. Oh...it's for those windows people...

dale_eva.rm wrote:

> No need to write software for renaming files. I've been using "Bulk > rename Utility" for this purpose for years and it works great. For big > trips I end up compiling the pics from multiple people/cameras and this > lets me rename them all easily.
    <http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
    > Dale
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, > "adventure_geek" <aj@...> wrote: >
    > I'm with Luke; I just use the native OS. I wrote a small program to > help rename my photos; now each photo is a date; so they are in > chronological order > ..... >

> Good luck! > > A.J. >

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, > "Luke" <Bluu@> wrote: >
    >
    >

--

www.cytafex.com

16. watea192

watea192 Guest

Photo organization has not been especially well addressed in the marketplace, unfortunately. I used to work on this kind of software, but it has been a few years.

ACDSee ($49.99) has always been extremely well written software. Their latest version has new improved organization features (keywords, categories, metadata editing, etc). I haven't tried the latest version, but prior versions were of very high quality.

Adobe used to have a free Photoshop Album program, but it is discontinued. It had a good 'tagging' feature to help keep photos organized. I believe their "Elements" ($79) software has similar functionality, but am not sure.

Adobe Lightroom ($299)has more organization features, but still shy of a real database.

Picasa uses albums for organization, which is effectively like tagging (as you can add a photo to as many albums as you like). Picasa may get confused if you move/rename photos outside the program.

Picasa is probably worth giving a try, even for organization, as it has a slick and responsive user interface, is very good with lots of photos, and has an extremely good "I'm feeling lucky" image correction algorithm. Picasa also automatically saves copies of your original files, so you can *always* undo back to the original. There are many more features, and it appears to be extremely well designed and written.

As far as RENAME goes, if you have Microsoft Office, there is a "Picture Manager" program included (Start Menu: Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Tools: Picture Manager). This program is simple, but is good at basic editing. It also has a very good RENAME feature. It can also do bulk edits (ie, select lots of photos and rotate by 90 all at once). And it can handle very large digital files. (I had a hand in making this piece of software)

--brendan
  17. Luke

Luke Guest

If you want a free program with some pretty darn good renaming functions (date, time, incremental numbers, or any number of choices) try looking at Irfan View. It does batch renaming or resizing quite well with hundreds of photos at a time if you like.

Just throwing it out there.

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of dale_eva.rm Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 11:20 To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: OT: Photo organizing software

No need to write software for renaming files. I've been using "Bulk rename Utility" for this purpose for years and it works great. For big trips I end up compiling the pics from multiple people/cameras and this lets me rename them all easily.

Dale

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "adventure_geek" <aj@...> wrote:
    I'm with Luke; I just use the native OS. I wrote a small program to help rename my photos; now each photo is a date; so they are in chronological order .....
    > Good luck! > A.J.
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" <Bluu@> wrote: