Send us a suggestion!

Orderville Geology Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yellow Dart, Sep 5, 2019.

?

Ever licked a rock, just for kicks?

1. Yes

72.7%
  2. No

18.2%
  3. Leave my lickings outta this

9.1%
  1. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

On a recent hump up and out Orderville after dropping Englestad, noticed many large limestone boulders.

My friend MurrPurr, who has a geology degree herself, and I were wondering how they got there, what with the vast majority of the limestone around Zion peaking out around 3500' (the rough elevation of the Virgin River Valley as it flows from Rockville west and down off the Hurricane Bench).

For reference, we were around 5500' in Orderville when we noticed them.

Also noted a great deal of rounded and smoothed quartzes of varied color, some red agate too; common in Zion, but mainly found in the conglomerate layer around 4400', some 1000' down in elevation from Orderville. Not as curious as the limestone, but still interesting.

Do we have much for geologists or other rock nerds here in the CC that could shed some light on the limestone boulders?

I wagered glaciers in the Pleistocene, but MurrPurr did not concur.
    Ram likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Carmel Formation overlies the Navajo Sandstone, as does the Temple Cap. Both of these have Limestone members which are quite hard and persist while the softer rock erodes away from below them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmel_Formation

Tom
    Ram and Yellow Dart like this.
  3. Yellow Dart

Ahh, I always assumed those were sandstone. It explains the brilliant red and pink in the boulders we saw, the color of which I haven't seen in limestone here before. Thanks for the quick turn-around.
    Ram likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Also, altitude is not a good indicator, but it helps. Where you are in the stack is what is important, and the stack does not lie flat. But you knew that.

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

That's true of the Carmel, but does the Temple Cap really have limestone layers? I haven't seen any in the Temple Cap, but maybe it does in places? Maybe the very top?

The Carmel has a lot of limestone and it has some nice fossils with huge clam shells. There's a lot of them if you look around the base of R1 in Birch Hollow.
    Yellow Dart and Ram like this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes and no. Temple Cap has limestone, but not much. https://www.nps.gov/zion/learn/nature/temple-cap.htm
    Yellow Dart and Ram like this.
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

It may also be possible that said limestone boulders may be from strata above the Carmel and Temple Cap. Though layers containing rock of sufficient resilience to persist in the slots as presently formed do not typically lie in the stratigraphic sequence west of the Kaiparowits plateau, or are volcanic in nature.

As to the occurence of limestone in the Carmel and Temple Cap - a regularly observed phenomenon in many layers of the Colorado Plateau are "lenses". These are localized deposits of carbonate (or other) minerals that formed when there were temporary changes in the conditions that formed the surrounding layer, e.g., a shifting river bed flowing through sand dunes or the advance and retreat of shallow tropical seas (depositional conditions for limestone). After these temporary changes, the previous depositional conditions resume, like wind blowing sand dunes over now dry alluvium.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  8. Yellow Dart

While this relatively recent thread on geology is fresh, am looking for thoughts on these guys I found on a recent rip through Lodge. In all my outings in Zion, or southwest Utah in general, never have I see green sandstone before.

Any ideas on what made it this color? There was another chunk I found in the canyon, that I broke open to make sure it was green throughout, which it was. One on left is size of my hand.
    IMG_20191004_1705358.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Proably copper, but possibly chlorite. Volcanic ash or some organics an make sandstone green too, but usually that stuff is super crumbly and finer grained than what you see in the picture.

Green mudstone and shale is very common in Utah, but tends to be finer grained.

The green rocks above look like the copper bearing sandstones near Moab (especially Lisbon).
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Also, it could be iron in a reduced state (iron atom gained an electron from the elements its reacted with), as opposed to oxidized.

In the context of the geochemistry of the Colorado Plateau, iron that undergoes reduction reactions often yields green hues, while oxidation reactions yield red.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Yellow Dart likes this.