Send us a suggestion!

Order of the Marginal Anchors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bootboy, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

Maybe it was because the boat driver was intoxicated? :)
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

3. Canyonero

Canyonero

IMG_0956.JPG
    What do you think of this one?
    Bootboy and Jolly Green like this.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

5. ratagonia

ratagonia

The anchor looks like it is probably good.

Blue webbing? What century is this?

If you are not going to extend the webbing to the edge, there is no real reason to extend it half-way there. Also, the webbing is double-strand, when it could be single strand.

Tom
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

Not the responses I expected from you two. I thought that anchor was manky mank, so I didn't use it. I expected you guys to comment on the live, well-rooted, 6 inch tree 5 feet away. I fiddled that instead of using that manky thing. It was basically four chockstones in there (I guess they were worried the first would pop?) Apparently they held the last group, but I wasn't impressed with any of it. I thought about cutting it all out and putting it on the tree instead, but got lazy when I saw how hard the water knot was going to be to untie (sure, I can tie them in 5.78 seconds, but I certainly can't untie one that fast.) Here was my anchor:

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG
    Deagol likes this.
  7. Canyonero

Canyonero

Yes, I could have just cut the knot out, but again, it was getting dark and I'm inherently lazy anyway. Just thought it was odd to ignore a perfectly good tree and instead come up with some manky chockstones.

And the webbing was gray, which in their defense, does match the rock in the Superstitions quite well.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

9. Canyonero

Canyonero

I know, I know. I'm starting to feel guilty about it now as I sit here thinking about the custodianeering thread even before you linked to it. The truth is I could have cut ALL the sling out of the canyon since it was almost all fiddleable. If I could get Bootboy to make me a water pocket I could have taken it all out and ghosted the thing.

I probably should have taken the time to cut it out and put a black piece on the tree. Shame on me, but in my defense, we had a sprained ankle and hit the car 45 minutes after dark as it was.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Removing webbing anchors from a regularly-done canyon because YOU have the tools to do without is not cool. C'mon Canyonero, you know this cac! But, there is every reason to remove excessive webbing, and webbing draped around anchors you don't think are safe.

Or perhaps you are a member of the Church of the Sacred Sling?

:moses:
    Dave Melton likes this.
  11. MrAdam

MrAdam

That anchor has been in place and in use now for well over 5 years. Occasionally, the pinch point further up canyon will be used as a back up, but the rock in the area is so manky, that I trust the chockstone more than I would trust the pinch point.
  12. qedcook

qedcook

This is easily one of my favorite threads. Interesting, and at times scary! Love it.
    Bootboy and Ram like this.
  13. Canyonero

Canyonero

Of course. And naturally, what I think is mank is apparently considered by others to be a great 5 year anchor!

Rappel carefully, my friends!
    Jared Robertson, hank moon and MrAdam like this.
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

15. Canyonero

Canyonero

Tom-

I think I saw you describe somewhere how to wrap rocks like that for maximum security. Can you post a link?
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

It is on the list of things to do, but has not yet been done. I think.

T
  17. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

perhaps this is what Canyonero is referring to

18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Jeez. MY memory! :moses:

Looks like a Dan Ransom Video with me as the star. Not bad. Would be good to also add something about backing up and testing, etc...

The Pizza Slice has a three-way tieoff which is a little trickier.

More comments in this other thread: http://canyoncollective.com/threads/building-rock-cairn-anchors.18162/
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  19. Canyonero

Canyonero

Thanks. Although obviously that's different from what we see on the pizza slice. The link is even better, but still, not the same as that pizza slice. Anyone know any other good techniques?
  20. ratagonia

ratagonia

The video shows tying off a triangle rock by going around it once, then going around again at a different angle. And it did not work "the best", because it slipped a bit toward the narrow end of the rock.

The pizza rock is similar. But, start by going around it twice, then at 90 degrees around the rim of the pizza to secure the webbing against slipping off the pointy end of the pizza slice.

Tom