Send us a suggestion!

Opinions on different ropes?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NateFlet, Aug 10, 2018.

1. NateFlet

NateFlet

So I've been looking into purchasing a new rope, preferably in the 9mm thickness range and about 600ft in length. So far, I've narrowed my search down to the:

Blue Water 9.2mm Canyon Rope
    Blue Water 9mm Canyonator
    Imlay Canyonero 9.2mm

I will be doing all of my canyoneering in Hawaii (which means a lot of sharp lava rock). I would go with the C-IV, but the premium price is a bit out of range (college student problems I guess).

If anyone has experience with any of these ropes, I would like to hear any opinions on them. Or any good comparison between these ropes to help me get some extra info on them before I blast away the money.
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/toms-diatribe-about-ropes-march-2017-edition.24510/

The C-IV uses Technora as 100% of its sheath. Technora is an aramid-class fiber that is considerably more expensive, denser, has a higher tensile strength and is more cut resistant than polyester. It may or may not be more abrasion resistant - test data on this is mixed. Our friends in Hawaii are clear that the C-IV holds up much better to the cutter volcanic rock than the Canyonero rope.

The Canyon Fire uses a one-over-one 8 by 8 sheath, meaning the sheath is made of 16 bundles of fibers woven together. I designed this with as much fiber as possible in the sheath, which ends up being 56%. While the core determines the strength rating, the sheath is what we care about mostly when canyoneering. Once the sheath is compromised, we consider the object to no longer be a canyoneering rope.

By contrast, the C-IV uses a 2 over 2, 8 by 8 sheath, thus using 32 bundles of fibers to build the sheath. I have not cut up and measured a C-IV rope, but the implication here is that the C-IV sheath is somewhat thinner than the Canyon Fire sheath, which could be as much as half as thick, but then we have to factor in the larger finished diameter of the sheath, therefore it is likely to be 3/4 of the material of the Canyon Fire sheath. Thus, my claim, lightly supported by the offered evidence, is that even assuming somewhat better performance of the Technora fibers, the overall toughness of the ropes should be pretty much the same in normal canyoneering circumstances. As noted in Hawaii, one real cutter rock, the C-IV holds up better.

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/toms-diatribe-about-ropes-march-2017-edition.24510/#post-104302

Our friends in Hawaii, who canyoneer on very sharp volcanic rock, have tried the Canyonero, finding that it cut up pretty quickly. Their choice is the C-IV (plus edge guards when feasible) which lasts a lot longer. So on sharp rock, the Technora definitely lasts longer.

===

The Bluewater 9.2 Canyon, having less sheath and a nylon core, is likely to be less durable than the other two you mentioned.
    NateFlet likes this.
  3. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

I have a basement full of many different ropes, in particular all you listed. They all grow shorter. Of course some people do not like a particular rope for reasons not addressed here such as ease of tying knots, etc. For expedition canyoneering where every ounce counts, go for the expensive, lighter rope. Otherwise go for the less expensive.
    NateFlet likes this.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Avoid the Canyonator. The sheath is exceptionally whimpy for a 9mm rope.

Canyonero is you're best value by a long shot, but it handles like a piece of steel cable. This will be somewhat mitigated methinks by the fact that the Hawaii canyons are wet and sand-free and ropes tend to be more supple when wet and not full of sand.

The C-IV is a good rope but at lengths over 100' it gets to be a bit bouncy for my liking. It also weighs significantly less so if you're carrying 600' of it, you'll appreciate that.
    NateFlet likes this.
  5. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Actually, depending on the grade of polyester, they both have a specific gravity of 1.38-1.40. So density is the same. Technora actually has a slightly higher coefficient of friction, thus lending credence to the fact that while more cut resistant, actual abrasion resistance comes down to multiple variables when compared to PET.
  7. NateFlet

NateFlet

We usually do not creep the rope, but we do occasionally adjust the abrasion points if they seem a bit sketchy.
    hank moon likes this.
  8. NateFlet

NateFlet

I have used a 200' Canyonero in a few canyons out here and it seems to work great. The "steel cable" quality of the rope is not a problem at all for us, and is actually preferred by a few of my friends.

Does anybody have any idea if the Canyonero has a lot of bounce in larger lengths?
  9. NateFlet

NateFlet

Anyone also happen to have any experience with Sterling's 9mm HTP Static Rope? It's price is comparable to Imlay's 9mm Canyonero rope.
  10. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall

We use 9mm HTP a lot for both rescue training and caving. Great rope, very low elongation (you keep what you take on hauls) and climbs well, however I still prefer the Imlay 8.3mm for caving since it has a lower elongation and a tougher sheath - plus it's lighter to carry on the trail than the HTP.
    NateFlet and hank moon like this.
  11. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall

Correction on the above post. Elongation is about the same for both the Imlay and the HTP.
  12. NateFlet

NateFlet

As of now, It seems like the 9mm Canyonero seems to be my best bet around my price range. Ill just have to keep an eye out for those nasty edges.