Send us a suggestion!

One-Trick Pony: A FreezeFest Flick

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dan Ransom, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

'Tis the season to share my latest short film "One Trick Pony." This is the story of Steve Ramras, his obsession with canyoneering and a totally absurd New Year's tradition in Bears Ears National Monument.

I put together a short teaser of this last week, but today I'm psyched to put out a longer edit. Thanks to many of you who were there last year and helped make this film possible. (I'm looking at you Wes, Chris, Nate, and many others.)

Hope you enjoy it!

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      41 KB
      Views:
    Ali Miller, danf, madman_lee and 23 others like this.
  2. Wes1

Wes1

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rapterman, Ram and Dan Ransom like this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne

Great piece! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. Kuenn

Kuenn

What an enjoyable 5 minutes 48 seconds that will certainly make you smile! Visuals and audio - excellent!!

I must say, I like the title but it is quite the specious label for the legend. Like calling Beethoven a "songwriter".
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Rapterman and Ram like this.
  5. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Hahaha. The backstory on the title is a joke between Ram and I from years ago. I started spending a lot more of my time in canyons in the Grand and elswewhere, while he was always going out into Navajo sandstone slots. If he ever invited me on a trip, I'd decline saying "all those canyons look the same." And I started calling him the "One-Trick Pony."

When we shot the interview, the first question I asked him was what that one-trick pony reputation was all about. I didn't intend to use it all, just wanted him to relax and joke on camera before we got to the rest of the stuff. But you have to admit, the fact the guy can't ride a bike tells you a lot about his obsession for canyons!

Don't worry, he's definitely a man of many talents. He's done some pretty impressive alpine climbing, but the real surprise might be he's rumored to be a fairly decent golfer.

Yep. Golf.
  6. Ram

Ram

Was bought a bike on my 5th birthday....stolen the next day
    Was bought a bike on my 6th birthday....stolen the same day...so it went back in New YAWK City, back then
    Never did learn to ride
    As for the golf....was never much more than a "Bogey" man. When he did see a picture of my swing, he mocked even that possibility...I only play, maybe for a day, on July mountain trips to the North Cascades of Washington anymore. After a few weeks of snow and rock, our crew's feet turn to hamburger.
    We rent the cart, clubs and all. Play LOTS of holes.
    I was a 4 year letter man in high school, captain of the team for 3 years. Got all the girls...NOT....oh and the team's record in my tenure, you ask? No wins, 64 losses.
    Now your canyon-golfer star is....drum roll.....Big John Diener, who was a scratch golfer, I think? Which is particularly impressive..... as like a baseball batter, the shorter swing of average height people is way less prone to flaw, so to play that well at 6" 7" is mind blowing.
    Thanks Dan, for telling all these people, all these lies about me.
    SAVE THE WILDERNESS!!! BEARS EARS!!
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  7. Kuenn

Kuenn

It's internet banter, what do you expect?

Maybe not the rockstar athlete but pretty talented at spinning a yarn...I've read some real zingers over the years. ;)

Lot of similarities between golf and canyoning: Wading, searching, improvising, sand traps, bringing a large bag of tools but only using 1 or 2 effectively.... lying about how good you are or are not. ;p

Keep working at that short game, you might need it in 20 years when you slow down a bit. We can hike the Robert Trent Jones golf trail in my backyard...bring John and Dan along too to make the foursome. :)
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. Gearhound

Gearhound

Nicely done! That looks like a really beautiful area!
  9. Brewhaha

Brewhaha Mountain Goat

Amazing! Well done!
  10. Rapterman

Rapterman

11. Disruptive_Rescue

Disruptive_Rescue

Looks incredible...
  12. Steve Kugath

Steve Kugath

A beauty Dan...as always amazing footage artistically pieced together. Such a creative genius!

Ram you are my hero...long may you wander the canyon realms!

SK
    Ram and Dan Ransom like this.
  13. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Ram, danf, Kevin and 1 other person like this.