Send us a suggestion!

On Rope Canyoneering (rappel device, packs, rope bags, etc.)

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by townsend, Aug 22, 2016.

1. townsend

townsend

Has anyone used this new (at least new to me) rappel device? I found it online at On Rope Canyoneering, which operates out of Laveen, AZ. Here is a link to the gear store: http://www.onropecanyoneering.com/canyoneering-gear/

Note: tried to copy a picture to post in the thread, but it didn't work.

In addition to this rappel device, they manufacture some other canyoneering gear, specifically canyoneering packs and rope bags.
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

hoodoo.

No, but I have used something uncannily similar. :cautious:
    ScottM, Rapterman and townsend like this.
  3. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Eight is enough? - I'd say it's too many. Somebody trying to out-scrotem the modem of the totem? Or maybe the designer is a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan...in any event, I'm highly un-attracted to it. Kudos for effort, though. It takes a lot to bring something to market. Hopefully something interesting will evolve.
    Yellow Dart, ScottM, AW~ and 2 others like this.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

The square edges seem to me to be a huge impediment to smooth operation. The concept of it is ok but the execution could use some serious refinement.
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

Copy that. Rappelling is not equivalent to double-clutching and downshifting a semi. Once one finds their standard friction setting then 1, or maybe on a few rare occasions, 2 additional frictions settings are o-plenty.
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. Rapterman

Rapterman

Have tried it.
    Heavy.
    Bulky.
    Friction settings too high.
    Boot boy is right about the squared edges.
    The new standard for canyoneering boat anchors.
    :D
    townsend likes this.
  7. Rapterman

Rapterman

Uh Oh
    Hank is threatening me with that terrible graphic again...think of something NICE to say..:rolleyes2:
    Uh.....the new device feels SUBSTANTIAL
    and provides PLENTY of friction
    will probably EXEL with rescue-type loads
    and be helpful for scaring off mountain lions...
    Badgers
    Bees?
  8. Pierre

Pierre

I used it for the first time this past weekend. I would have to disagree with some of what's said. First off I use a multitude of friction settings depending on the length of the repel, wet or dry, and if I have a full pack with rope ect. or its almost empty. While my first impression was that it was a lot bulkier than the Critter in actual use it didn't feel any bulkier. I do agree that it seemed to have more friction off the bat than most other devices which for me "being a big guy" was good. We have been doing some big first D's with some drops over 450'. I liked having the easily adjustable friction without the feeling that the rope might pop off. It was also very easy to tie off so I could use both hands. After using it I would say the Hoodo and the Critter each have there strong suits but both are heads and shoulders above the competition.
    Rapterman and hank moon like this.