Send us a suggestion!

oh no - zion national park may be closed - best options?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by bollinger_joe, Apr 7, 2011.

1. All - glad I found this group site today - already been looking at the other postings and am learning lots.

Situation - am planning to go to Zion Nation Park next weekend with 14yr son & other dad/son - heard that it may close due to the budget debate. My son & I have done the basic Zion canyons prior (Pine, Keyhole, middle echo, etc) while the other two are complete newbies. Was going to take them down the basic canyons as we are familiar/comfortable with them.

Question - If Zion closes what would be good comparable canyons in southern Utah that will be accessible?

More details on the group - Everyone is in excellent condition, water savy with outdoor experience (Ocean Lifeguard/EMT, etc), have 4mm full wetsuits, have gear for everyone, etc., but not yet the experience for advanced canyons. will have two cars.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. Clay Palmer

Clay Palmer Guest

The Parunuweap also called the East Fork of the Virgin River is a nice canyon to hike. Go in from just south of Mount Carmel Utah off US89. To start go about 1/2 mile south of the Thunderbird Lodge at the Mt Carmel Jct of US89 and US9, turn off the highway just after crossing the little bridge over the East Virgin, follow the dirt road till you drive thru the river about a 1/2 mile in, continue till you come to the Private ranch and turn south and park beneath the big Cottonwood tree. Hike by staying on the road going on to the west. The canyon starts wide like the Zion Canyon then gets narrower and nearrower after it comes to an area called the Barracks. The Canyon now is about 10-30 feet wide and continues for many miles. Wading like in the Zion Narrows is required. Thre are also some interesting slot canyons in the upper and lower Sand Wash area north east of the Thunderbird, ask for directions at the lodge.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bollinger_joe" <bollinger_joe@...> wrote:
    All - glad I found this group site today - already been looking at the other postings and am learning lots.
    Situation - am planning to go to Zion Nation Park next weekend with 14yr son & other dad/son - heard that it may close due to the budget debate. My son & I have done the basic Zion canyons prior (Pine, Keyhole, middle echo, etc) while the other two are complete newbies. Was going to take them down the basic canyons as we are familiar/comfortable with them.
    Question - If Zion closes what would be good comparable canyons in southern Utah that will be accessible?
    More details on the group - Everyone is in excellent condition, water savy with outdoor experience (Ocean Lifeguard/EMT, etc), have 4mm full wetsuits, have gear for everyone, etc., but not yet the experience for advanced canyons. will have two cars.
    Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks! >