Send us a suggestion!

Notice to Moderators & others - Yahoo Canyons name Hijacked and used

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by flutedwalls, Sep 20, 2012.

1. flutedwalls

flutedwalls Guest

Canyons group and moderators.

There is a post, three or four notes down, bearing my moniker flutedwalls. When the link is opened it relates to a money making scheme that has spread wide and far on the net.

FYI - I DID NOT POST THE NOTE, I have no instinct or interest in posting the note and I have NO idea how the posting arrived.

Someone/somebody connected with the IT portion of this site can hopefully divine how someone else was/is able to hijack another's yahoo canyon name and use it in public display; and prevent it from happening in the future. (I'm told that it's happened before?)

Months back I got an email with this identical $$ link connected to it. That email was sent by a frequent poster on this site. I have NO idea if the two are related/connected?

Thank You.

*The event in Zion, Left Fork, Subway. Tragic, heart breaking. The poor fellow, his family and friends. Reminder to me, safety is a function of paying dues, learning skills, having instincts, fitness, partnership, humility, confidence; and then operating in a manner that statistically avoids accidents; and then if and when an accident occurs, having the instinct and sense (training) to quickly resolve (in this case, a slip on the rope or webbing)a slip up or chaotic event. This reminder is to me/others; No wish or desire to be critical of the victim/partner at this point, especially under the circumstances.
  2. stefan

stefan Guest

hi steve

most likely your yahoo email account has been hacked and is being spammed from.

best thing to do is log into that account and change the password to something new and more difficult to crack

in the past year many yahoo accounts have been hacked.

stefan

On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:47 AM, "flutedwalls" flutedwalls@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Canyons group and moderators.
    There is a post, three or four notes down, bearing my moniker flutedwalls. When the link is opened it relates to a money making scheme that has spread wide and far on the net.
    FYI - I DID NOT POST THE NOTE, I have no instinct or interest in posting the note and I have NO idea how the posting arrived.
    Someone/somebody connected with the IT portion of this site can hopefully divine how someone else was/is able to hijack another's yahoo canyon name and use it in public display; and prevent it from happening in the future. (I'm told that it's happened before?)
    Months back I got an email with this identical $$ link connected to it. That email was sent by a frequent poster on this site. I have NO idea if the two are related/connected?
    Thank You.
    *The event in Zion, Left Fork, Subway. Tragic, heart breaking. The poor fellow, his family and friends. Reminder to me, safety is a function of paying dues, learning skills, having instincts, fitness, partnership, humility, confidence; and then operating in a manner that statistically avoids accidents; and then if and when an accident occurs, having the instinct and sense (training) to quickly resolve (in this case, a slip on the rope or webbing)a slip up or chaotic event. This reminder is to me/others; No wish or desire to be critical of the victim/partner at this point, especially under the circumstances.

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the "Edit My > Membership" link, and change your delivery option. Press "Save > Changes".
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >
  3. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Lot of that going around... Glen just got nailed too. Joe Budgen a few days ago.

May I suggest Avast: http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, stefan <wanderingutahn@...> wrote:
    hi steve
    best thing to do is log into that account and change the password to something new and more difficult to crack
    stefan >
  4. David

David Guest

All major email account providers (e.g. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.) optionally offer two-factor sign-in. I suggest everyone activate it. Typically, if the email system sees that you are signing in from a different computer it will send a text to your cell phone with a code for you to input. Most likely a hacker will not have access to your phone!

Here's an article on Yahoo's system: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/yahoo-mail-introduces-two-factor-authentication/9846

-David

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    Lot of that going around... Glen just got nailed too. Joe Budgen a few days ago.
    May I suggest Avast: http://www.avast.com/en-us/index
    > Tom
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, stefan <wanderingutahn@> wrote:

hi steve

stefan
    >