Send us a suggestion!

North Wash Conditions, 11-15-2009

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by TomJones, Nov 16, 2009.

1. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Was in North Wash this past weekend. The weather report apparently scared a lot of people off. Couple of squalls came through, thankfully mostly when we were back in camp, and a touch of rain here and there. Expect mud and a few wet spots for the next week or two, till it has a chance to sublimate off.

Did some Leprechauns and Hogs. Super fun. All anchors in place and looking good.

Tom
  2. cardlaw22

cardlaw22 Guest

Ah Nuts! I wish I would have been there and yes, my noob group (not the Mapleton boys) - the ones we were supposed to take through a canyon or two, were some of those who were spooked by the weather reports. Thanks for the report, Tom.

Scott Card

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    Was in North Wash this past weekend. The weather report apparently scared a lot of people off. Couple of squalls came through, thankfully mostly when we were back in camp, and a touch of rain here and there. Expect mud and a few wet spots for the next week or two, till it has a chance to sublimate off.
    Did some Leprechauns and Hogs. Super fun. All anchors in place and looking good.
    Tom >
  3. tworavens996

tworavens996 Guest

Hi! New to the sport and newer to the forum...

I'm headed to the North Wash for Thanksgiving with a small group, and the most experienced member wants to do Shenanigans. Sounds like fun except I'm not up for swimming in cold weather, though wading would be OK. Any way to tell how much water is in it? Or are there some very nice people who are planning on doing it early in the Thanksgiving long weekend and would be willing to give us a report? We're happy to offer bribes. :)

Cheers, Kelly
  4. carpeybiggs

carpeybiggs Guest

Shenanigans almost never has a swim, unless it has rained in the few days preceding. It drains very fast.

It can, however, have a waist deep wade. There is also a swim at the last rap if you miss the ledge traverse.

We were there a couple weeks ago, there was the wade in the upper section, but the final rap pool was mostly filled in with sand, though if you fell in you would have to swim or wade 10 feet or so.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tworavens996" <two_ravens_@...> wrote:

I'm headed to the North Wash for Thanksgiving with a small group, and the most experienced member wants to do Shenanigans. Sounds like fun except I'm not up for swimming in cold weather, though wading would be OK. Any way to tell how much water is in it? Or are there some very nice people who are planning on doing it early in the Thanksgiving long weekend and would be willing to give us a report? We're happy to offer bribes. :)
    Cheers, > Kelly >
  5. TomJones

TomJones Guest

... and it rained last weekend, a week after your journey-through, Mr. Biggs, which means that waist-deep wade in the early part might have filled up and be a swimmer...

The good news is that getting down the canyon is enough effort that all y'alls will warm up quickly after a brief, scantily-clad swim. Unfortunately, it is a tight, scrapey downclimb into that pool, so a balance between keeping the clothes dry and keeping the epidermis intact must be made.

At the end, CAN zip the packs if you bring at least one 80' rope. Can set up a guided rappel if you bring two 100' ropes. There is a small-holds traverse on the left wall after the rap. The key is that some of the footholds are under the water!

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "carpeybiggs" <carpeybiggs@...> wrote:
    Shenanigans almost never has a swim, unless it has rained in the few days preceding. It drains very fast.
    It can, however, have a waist deep wade. There is also a swim at the last rap if you miss the ledge traverse.
    We were there a couple weeks ago, there was the wade in the upper section, but the final rap pool was mostly filled in with sand, though if you fell in you would have to swim or wade 10 feet or so.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tworavens996" <two_ravens_@> wrote:

Cheers,
    Kelly
    >
  6. RAM

RAM Guest

And the pothole, up high, rarely holds water beyond a few days. While the guided rap is nice, at the last rap, the cost of carrying bigger ropes through the canyon can be high. What is the size and dimensions of your crew?. The ledge walk after the last rap is fun. Almost everyone makes it. Hee hee. Hold onto the rope at the bottom of the rap for the somewhat long first step and as Tom said, look for some of the ledge a few inches below the water line. If all the pieces fit, it is the area classic!! R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    ... and it rained last weekend, a week after your journey-through, Mr. Biggs, which means that waist-deep wade in the early part might have filled up and be a swimmer...
    The good news is that getting down the canyon is enough effort that all y'alls will warm up quickly after a brief, scantily-clad swim. Unfortunately, it is a tight, scrapey downclimb into that pool, so a balance between keeping the clothes dry and keeping the epidermis intact must be made.
    At the end, CAN zip the packs if you bring at least one 80' rope. Can set up a guided rappel if you bring two 100' ropes. There is a small-holds traverse on the left wall after the rap. The key is that some of the footholds are under the water!
    Tom
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "carpeybiggs" <carpeybiggs@> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tworavens996" <two_ravens_@> wrote:

Cheers,
    > Kelly
  7. tworavens996

tworavens996 Guest

Hey, thanks for all the info everybody!

We are a group of three. Don't know the exact dimensions of the other two - one tall skinny guy, one shorter skinny guy, and then myself at 5'7" and 125 lbs. I think we'll squeeze through well enough... but I'm still thinking this one might be more fun in warmer weather! I think we'll have an alternate adventure in mind, just for back-up.

Again, we appreciate all the beta. If y'all are in the north wash neighborhood for turkey day, stop by! We'll be doing up a dutch oven dinner, and desert may be something involving huckleberries...! We usually have extra.

k

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    And the pothole, up high, rarely holds water beyond a few days. While the guided rap is nice, at the last rap, the cost of carrying bigger ropes through the canyon can be high. What is the size and dimensions of your crew?. The ledge walk after the last rap is fun. Almost everyone makes it. Hee hee. Hold onto the rope at the bottom of the rap for the somewhat long first step and as Tom said, look for some of the ledge a few inches below the water line. If all the pieces fit, it is the area classic!! > R
  8. gbrandthart

gbrandthart Guest

Well if it's Thanksgiving then you should pack a big frozen turkey through Shenanigans. That's the tradition as well, just make sure the turkey doesn't have a chest circumference more than some magic number that only RAM knows. Besides, with a frozen turkey, if you run into any swimming you can float across on it.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Brandt

Cheers, > Kelly >
  9. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Actually, it is a good one to do when it is chilly out. Lots of work, not much standing around, and the chilliness allows the wearing of protective clothing. I agree with Ram n Dan, yeah, that pothole pool should melt into the ground by the time you get there.

Grim Crawl of Death... ha ha ha ha ha ....

Tom

Hey, thanks for all the info everybody!
    We are a group of three. Don't know the exact dimensions of the other two - one tall skinny guy, one shorter skinny guy, and then myself at 5'7" and 125 lbs. I think we'll squeeze through well enough... but I'm still thinking this one might be more fun in warmer weather! I think we'll have an alternate adventure in mind, just for back-up.
    Again, we appreciate all the beta. If y'all are in the north wash neighborhood for turkey day, stop by! We'll be doing up a dutch oven dinner, and desert may be something involving huckleberries...! We usually have extra.
    k
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

And the pothole, up high, rarely holds water beyond a few days. While the guided rap is nice, at the last rap, the cost of carrying bigger ropes through the canyon can be high. What is the size and dimensions of your crew?. The ledge walk after the last rap is fun. Almost everyone makes it. Hee hee. Hold onto the rope at the bottom of the rap for the somewhat long first step and as Tom said, look for some of the ledge a few inches below the water line. If all the pieces fit, it is the area classic!!
    R >