Send us a suggestion!

North - Rider Canyon Loop Inquiry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brendan Sullivan, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

Greetings,
    I've been itching to do this loop in the Marble Canyon area for a long time and I have collected any possible beta to make it a successful trip (Todd Martin & George Steck to be precise). I wanted to inquire any info from fellow canyoneers and grand canyon addicts if they have any tidbits to assist me. I know there is the route along the river to Rider from North if the Colorado is "low" which requires a wade through stagnant water as specified by Todd Martin and then there is the high route that bypasses this section which is surely to be loose and exposed. My questions are...

1) Anyone reading this ever done any of these routes and have any recommendations?

2) What cfs level is the Colorado considered to be low?

I'm aiming to do this in late March if anyone else is curious as I am about this loop. Thank you for reading.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Currently, the Colorado River is "high".

Low would be like 6000 to 9000.

Tom
    Brendan Sullivan likes this.
  3. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

With sort notice, I'd suggest posting in the Grand Canyon Hikers and Backpackers group on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/GCHBA/
    There's a few people there who have completed that section.
    Brendan Sullivan likes this.
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Just a heads up,

Hiked out Rider the other day and a recent (within the last year) large landslide has rendered a portion of that “trail” rather treacherous. A member of our group dislodged some rubble and took a rather nasty ride, narrowly avoiding serious injury. It’s doable but is likely to be worse going down than coming up. It’s pretty bad.
    Brendan Sullivan and ratagonia like this.