Send us a suggestion!

North Fork Upper Kings River - Broken Leg

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Eric Holden, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Eric Holden

Eric Holden Beer Maker!

2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Really cool video.

That is a lot of spinning on the way up. And it appears the person (I assume part of SAR) who helped setup the haul on the ground gets to finish the canyon. No more room on the helo!
  3. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Super cool, Eric - thank you for posting.
  4. Eric Holden

Eric Holden Beer Maker!

Unless weather rolled in, the helicopter most likely came back for the rescuer. I know that's how we roll.
    MrAdam and Mountaineer like this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

at the end: "We'd like to do a hot offload, then come back for the other t----" maybe Two, on that last word. Maybe picking up the other canyoneers. The timestamp is early morning if I am reading it correctly, which makes sense.

Tom
    Mountaineer likes this.
  6. Eric Holden

Eric Holden Beer Maker!

Reviewing the video i was able to pull an Lat/Long on the extraction site.
    36.900459, -119.059389
  7. Kuenn

Kuenn

Very cool rescue. I'm guessing that paying the price in vertigo is well worth it - being plucked from the canyon with a broken leg.

Ouch, the orientation of his right foot is disturbing.
    Deagol likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/09/02/4101101/ventura-man-who-broke-leg-rescued.html

Injured Ventura man rescued from Upper Kings River (video)
    BY BONHIA LEE

The Fresno Bee September 2, 2014 Updated 20 hours ago

A Ventura man was rescued on the Upper Kings River on Monday after breaking his leg while hiking with friends, the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputies received a call about an injured person just after 10 p.m. Sunday and were dispatched to an area just below the Black Rock Reservoir, east of Balch Camp.

Earlier that afternoon, the 30-year-old man was hiking with four friends when he broke his leg jumping into a pool of water, the sheriff's office said. One friend stayed with the man and the other three hiked out for help.

Nearly 20 search and rescue personnel and volunteers responded, but because of darkness responders decided to fly the man out at first light the next day.

The California Highway Patrol helicopter hoisted the man out Monday. He was flown to the closest helipad and taken to Community Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/09/02/4101101/ventura-man-who-broke-leg-rescued.html#storylink=cpy
  9. townsend

townsend

As w/ Hank, thanks to Eric for posting this. Fantastic bird's eye view of a rescue!
  10. Stevee B

Stevee B

From the video and satellite imagery, they appear to be sitting at the LDC right bank of the 3rd pool after the big 120' rappel, upstream from the narrow chute and subsequent "Sideways jump", a 22' from LDC right to left. There are no (commonly done) jumps between the big rap and sideways jump.
    I wondered if the canyoneer got injured at Black Hole above the big rap, but it wouldn't make any sense to transport him any further than the LDC right bank just after the big rap. So this must have been in that area between. Anyone from that trip care to confirm?