Send us a suggestion!

No Kidding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Ram

Ram

Mr Canyon Monkey

I hope you do not mind my absconding with your photo from the picture thread. It brought a lot of things to mind. Much of it the best where this sport has gone and where it is headed. Observations, in no particular order.

1-Secure spot for back up of a sand trap although I am not sure the trap is being used vs. meat. Is the rope thru a devise and if it is, is it static or dynamic i.e. on belay so rope can be let out?
    2- The hose...there to protect the canyon. Good on ya! I assume it was used once the rap was set up. There are several other methods being used these days too. The apron on the sandtrap. A pot shot on the lip, often attached, to come down with the pull, etc.
    3-The sandtrap, probably not set yet. But several experienced eyes are wondering if that is the placement, whether there is a place for sand to empty out the sides
    4-Engaging an engaging canyon. This little slot was initially an anchor test piece, then a place to practice and develop ghosting technique, as tools were tested and used successfully.... and in spite of the canyon being published, it has remained free of fixed anchors and only rarely sporting webbing. I salute everyone who has gone and left it as is, while they tested themselves and learned.

When Brian Olliver who made the Gorging movie asked where he should take the big 4, from the movie, this was the suggestion. A place that requires teamwork and sports so many options on how to do the place.

I am proud of us, leaving this canyon a place to practice these particular skills.
    Here is the very first escape, then capture, back to back from the "Escapes and Captures" thread, both in No Kidding
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/escapes-and-captures.18214/

Great LITTLE canyon

Kelly in the hole in No Kidding Canyon - North Wash

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Ram,

I do realize the message was directed @Canyon Monkey, but as a member of this party I will attempt to take a swing at your questions too (if I may):

I surmise that the majority of the questions could all be answered with "the sand anchor is not fully setup/deployed within this picture". Kelly was the champ throughout the day and this picture was simply taken to highlight her significant contributions throughout.

I cannot agree with your sentiments more, a great canyon and a very unique experience.
    Rapterman, Ram and Canyon Monkey like this.
  3. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

RAM...Happy you absconded it :)

1-Secure spot for back up of a sand trap although I am not sure the trap is being used vs. meat. Is the rope thru a devise and if it is, is it static or dynamic i.e. on belay so rope can be let out? - Photo was pre set up . Great spot to back it up.

2- The hose...there to protect the canyon. Good on ya! I assume it was used once the rap was set up. There are several other methods being used these days too. The apron on the sandtrap. A pot shot on the lip, often attached, to come down with the pull, etc. - Your assumption is correct.

3-The sandtrap, probably not set yet. But several experienced eyes are wondering if that is the placement, whether there is a place for sand to empty out the sides - Was not yet set. The flap on the far wall was pulled out a bit to allow the sand to dump better. The lip was really nice as not too much sand was required. We had nice pulls all day.

4-Engaging an engaging canyon. This little slot was initially an anchor test piece, then a place to practice and develop ghosting technique, as tools were tested and used successfully.... and in spite of the canyon being published, it has remained free of fixed anchors and only rarely sporting webbing. I salute everyone who has gone and left it as is, while they tested themselves and learned. - Indeed. It is a little gem.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Ram likes this.
  4. Ram

Ram

Footage from No Kidding
    I recalll the full video of this part was great

5. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot