Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash No Kidding 12-29-18

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Ram

Ram

In the afternoon, after Maidenwater, I was struggling with what to schedule for the next day. The weather was improving, if still raw and cold. There were only a dozen and a half souls in attendance and no one came in overnight. The normal fare did not excite me....but then Jenny came up with the idea. "What about No Kidding?" The moment she suggested it, I knew it was the right choice. There were a slew of folks, new to FreezeFest, the area and ghosting and just enough experienced people to make it work. So we opened enrollment to "The No Kidding Ghosting School" and people started signing up.

I encouraged Basia and Jerzy to open a trip that was on their list. A descent of Monkey Business, as they had been on the previous year's No Kidding descent. I hoped folks would sign up with them too, as I did not want a huge group, in either canyon. It turned out to be a great day for them, with the canyon dry and the escape route challenging. I am wracked by guilt from splitting them off and could not relax until they came back into camp, at the edge of darkness.

So now we were stuck as a group of 13 I believe it was? A confession...while most do not like large groups, I find it hard to say no to people. I find joy in seeing all my friends, new and old, on hand. But these many people, in a "slow and go" canyon, in the shade, on a raw day? Deep sign. I guess so. As we are getting ready to leave, a car drives in. It is Mike Bogart. We had been out with him last year and he loves the ghosting ideas. He and Jenny are both talented innovators, from way back when. We would have to wait, as he scrambled to get ready.

One of the jobs that I used to have, was the being navigator. Not so much anymore, because I am too slow now. But I knew where to go.....so I hobbled as fast as I could, trying not to have the group pile up behind me. Went past the drainage I thought correct, a few minutes to the rim of Butler Canyon, confirming we were in the right place and Jenny and others led the way in.

We had lots of rope and toys and Bucky, Jenny, The Cap Reef folks and others, led on down. I moved from the rear, to near the front, back to the rear and observed excellent discussions on the techniques of the trade. Meat anchoring, trap setting and testing, sequencing, escapes, captures, back ups, fireman and all manner of ghosting on display and with multiple anchors set at the same time. Good teachers let others be "hands on" and so it was here. So this unwieldy group moved through the canyon like a small group, conversations of all kind buzzing about. Stories were told of the first descent and it's intense commitment and the evolution of the sport. Pretty magic stuff.

The lower part of the Kelsey exit was snowy and difficult. Assist was available and I certainly indulged freely. Thanks everyone. Once on the rim, 3 or 4 folks headed over to East Leprechaun, while the rest headed back to the vehicles. Food and fire awaited. I thrilled to the Monkey Business crew arriving, 2 hours later and closed the book on another successful FreezeFest adventure day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Good to see that Ranger Olson is, as usual, the best-dressed man in the canyon. #canyonsweater
    Ram, Jenny, Tirrus and 1 other person like this.