Send us a suggestion!

No Beta, No Post...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karl Helser, Mar 24, 2015.

?

No Beta, No Post ?

1. Agree

37.5%
  2. Disagree

62.5%
  1. Karl Helser

Karl Helser

What's up with so many Canyon Pages with no Beta? It's kind of a turn-off to see so many Canyons listed with no beta. Makes it hard to refer to this website for beta, or share with others in the Pacific Northwest. Bah!
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Jeremy is trying to sort things out in the Betabase, and for this purpose, he thought it useful to start blank pages for all these canyons. Not sure how he thought this would improve things.

Tom
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins TommyBoy

Most of the canyons in the betabase now came from importing the "super amazing canyoneering map". A project started by Bob Allen that was never meant to include beta, but simply be a way to tell people yes there is a canyon here. That way people who are looking for a little more of an adventure could find a canyon that was new to them but have the experience of an exploration by going without beta. Also with a name to search for usually you can find some general info about what you'll be getting yourself into if you want it, i.e. lots of potholes, x stemming, huge drop, need ghosting gear, etc. It won't be a step by step guide through the canyon, but it at least gets you pointed in the right direction.

I don't know how quickly Jeremy updates things these days, but if you have beta you want to share there is an email address in the betabase section where you can send him the beta you want posted.
  4. Karl Helser

Karl Helser

IMHO, most folks that contribute to this type of website, wouldn't develop a new canyon page unless they have successfully dropped the canyon. I thought Canyon Collective was that type of website...am I wrong?
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Generally yes. Just some birthing pangs...
  6. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

can anyone decipher the meaning of the poll question?
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Sounds like "don't post pictures of canyons that you won't give me beta for". It doesn't bother me either way. I don't think I have ever genuinely asked for info on a canyon and have been denied the beta.
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Sounds like "don't post pictures of canyons that you won't give me beta for". It doesn't bother me either way. I don't think I have ever genuinely asked for info on a canyon and have been denied the beta.

can anyone decipher the meaning of the poll question?

I believe he is speaking of the betabase. Many canyons are in there, but don't have information, other than conditions reports.

Keyhole Canyon is an example:

http://canyoncollective.com/betabase/keyhole.565/
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Actually, I think the OP is asking why the Canyon Collective Beta Base is filled with canyon names but no information on the canyons.

Tom
    Mountaineer likes this.
  10. Karl Helser

Karl Helser

In other words...Should you develop a canyon page, without any beta....?

I think the canyon pages will be much more accurate, and creative, if it was left up to the person that took the time to drop and explore the canyon. I'll throw out the example of summitpost.org, a very successful website, full of creative individual pages on mountains, peaks, routes... I realize this is canyoneering and not mountains, but I thought this website was going to be similar in that a person would drop the canyon, then submit the page which would include the minimum beta required to submit the page. They would also take ownership and maintain the page...adding additional beta and pics as time went on.
  11. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Ah, thank you Karl. I guess this is a question for Jeremy.
  12. Karl Helser

Karl Helser

It's a question I ask of all that use, and contribute to this site.
  13. french_de

french_de

I realize this is canyoneering and not mountains, but I thought this website was going to be similar in that a person would drop the canyon, then submit the page which would include the minimum beta required to submit the page. They would also take ownership and maintain the page...adding additional beta and pics as time went on.

this sounds a little like the description for

http://ropewiki.com/index.php/Beta
    Karl Helser likes this.
  14. Luca

Luca

The betabase was a fantastic idea, unfortunately it had a lot of self inflicted limitations and a heavy moderation approach. I tried to post a couple canyons, the moderation process took a month and a half to get my first canyon beta approved, but the map never made it. I then opted to post on Ropewiki.com, which is a more open site. A lot of people are using it now, you can find accurate beta on canyons in California, Nevada, Mexico, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and other regions. It also has a mechanism to remotely predict water flow levels which is very important for Class C canyons. Check it out, you may like it.
    Karl Helser likes this.
  15. Karl Helser

Karl Helser

I like it...Thanks!