Send us a suggestion!

News- Utah photographer gets place on stamp

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by canyons_owner, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Can't find any pictures of these

Utah photographer gets place on stamp

Tom Till has a simple reason for wanting one of his photographs on a stamp.

"I don't know where else 2 million people can see your picture," the Moab photographer says with a chuckle. "And that's just the first printing."

A 63-cent, first-class postage stamp of Bryce Canyon National Park, featuring a photo taken by Till, will be put into circulation on Friday. The stamp, which shows the canyon's famous redrock hoodoos, will be for 1-ounce rate mail to Mexico and Canada and 2-ounce rate domestic mail. If Till's handiwork looks familiar, that's because it is.

Several of Till's beautiful murals adorn the walls inside the Cedar City Regional Airport, displaying the beauty of Zion and Bryce Canyon national parks and other scenic spots around Southern Utah.

Or maybe you remember Till's photograph on a 2000 stamp featuring the Grand Canyon. That 60-cent stamp made national news after the U.S. Postal Service twice botched production, first by incorrectly listing the park as being in Colorado and then by reversing the photo's image.

"We did proofs on this one," Till says, laughing.

A serious stamp collector as a child, Till quit his teaching job in 1985 to become a professional photographer.

Since, Till has explored some of nature's most wondrous places, in the United States and abroad, snapping photos at every stop of the way.

The Bryce Canyon stamp is part of the USPS' Scenic American Landscape Series. The Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina are featured on a 75-cent stamp; California's Yosemite National Park graces an 84-cent stamp.

Cedar City Postmaster Vito Gasparro expects the Bryce Canyon stamp to be popular among collectors, locals and tourists.

"They'll all buy it to have it," he says, noting that collectors will be especially interested in first-day issue postmarks, which sell for 71 cents.

A third stamp featuring Till's artwork is on the way. He just isn't allowed to tell us what is pictured on the stamp.

"(The USPS) is very secretive, so I can't tell you about it," Till says.

When will it be unveiled?

"I don't know that, either," he says.

My guess is it'll be worth the wait.

Contact Cedar City Bureau Chief Steve Kiggins at 865-4522, or via e-mail at skiggins@thespectrum.com
  2. I tried to paste a picture of the stamp but was also unsuccessful. The photo was taken from Inspiration Point and probably 99% of the visitors to Bryce also take the same photo. It is a great publicity thing for the park and Tom Till, but we've all seen the same view. Ho Hum.

bruce from bryce

>From: "canyons_owner" canyons_owner@yahoo.com
    Reply-To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] News- Utah photographer gets place on stamp >Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:44:08 -0000
    Can't find any pictures of these
    Utah photographer gets place on stamp
    Tom Till has a simple reason for wanting one of his photographs on a >stamp.
    "I don't know where else 2 million people can see your picture," the >Moab photographer says with a chuckle. "And that's just the first >printing."
    A 63-cent, first-class postage stamp of Bryce Canyon National Park, >featuring a photo taken by Till, will be put into circulation on >Friday. The stamp, which shows the canyon's famous redrock hoodoos, >will be for 1-ounce rate mail to Mexico and Canada and 2-ounce rate >domestic mail. >If Till's handiwork looks familiar, that's because it is.
    Several of Till's beautiful murals adorn the walls inside the Cedar >City Regional Airport, displaying the beauty of Zion and Bryce Canyon >national parks and other scenic spots around Southern Utah.
    Or maybe you remember Till's photograph on a 2000 stamp featuring the >Grand Canyon. That 60-cent stamp made national news after the U.S. >Postal Service twice botched production, first by incorrectly listing >the park as being in Colorado and then by reversing the photo's image.
    "We did proofs on this one," Till says, laughing.
    A serious stamp collector as a child, Till quit his teaching job in >1985 to become a professional photographer.
    Since, Till has explored some of nature's most wondrous places, in the >United States and abroad, snapping photos at every stop of the way.
    The Bryce Canyon stamp is part of the USPS' Scenic American Landscape >Series. The Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina are >featured on a 75-cent stamp; California's Yosemite National Park >graces an 84-cent stamp.
    Cedar City Postmaster Vito Gasparro expects the Bryce Canyon stamp to >be popular among collectors, locals and tourists.
    "They'll all buy it to have it," he says, noting that collectors will >be especially interested in first-day issue postmarks, which sell for >71 cents.
    A third stamp featuring Till's artwork is on the way. He just isn't >allowed to tell us what is pictured on the stamp.
    "(The USPS) is very secretive, so I can't tell you about it," Till says.
    When will it be unveiled?
    "I don't know that, either," he says.
    My guess is it'll be worth the wait.
    Contact Cedar City Bureau Chief Steve Kiggins at 865-4522, or via >e-mail at <a href="/group/canyons/post?postID=a2Hd7BE665AvRY980k4NBIdh0Rwg5dObVgwGBQN5MFa_X2G3m7xc6ytyKUoQ362wXJYyD-117WIPeOPYEUYz-kyh">skiggins@thespectrum.com</a
  3. -------------- Original message ---------------------- From: "bruce silliman" weabruce@hotmail.com
    I tried to paste a picture of the stamp but was also unsuccessful. The > photo was taken from Inspiration Point and probably 99% of the visitors to > Bryce also take the same photo. It is a great publicity thing for the park > and Tom Till, but we've all seen the same view. Ho Hum.
    bruce from bryce

Here's a link to a story in the SL Tribune with a small photo of the stamp in question.

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_3525698

Peggy