Send us a suggestion!

New Zealand.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NorthBound, Nov 19, 2018.

1. NorthBound

NorthBound

Looking for beginner friendly canyons on the south island. Will be going for 3 weeks at the beginning of Feburary. Any advice or tips would be helpful!
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    Ram likes this.
  2. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

Here is a start. http://nzcanyoningassociation.org/. PM me your email address and I will connect you with two people.
    Ram and NorthBound like this.
  3. NorthBound

NorthBound

Thanks! Any info or people that I can meet there will greatly improve my timeline for other activities and climbing.
    Thanks again Sonny.

4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

I've got a friend moving there next year and have been looking at the prospects of a canyoneering and packrafting trip over there in 2020. Most info is found at kiwicanyons.org. I ordered the New Zealand canyon guide book off of Tom's website. Its pricey but is a must have as the canyons in the book are not found on the website. It seems like there are many companies that guide most of the canyons over there, so you can get a few clues by looking through their websites. Imp Grotto and Cross Creek are the 2 names I remember standing out in a quick glance through the book.

I'd be very interested in hearing your suggestions when you get back.
    Ram and NorthBound like this.
  5. NorthBound

NorthBound

Hey thanks for your input! Those two canyon seem pretty fun! I'll definitely keep track of the canyons and the waypoints for ya, if you want to do them in 2020. I keep seeing that book you mentioned. Seems to be "The" Definitive book for NZD canyoning.

Ram likes this.
  6. hobo_climber

hobo_climber

Hiya.

Kiwi here...

How beginner is beginner? Canyoning in NZ is very very "Aquatic". Cross and Imp are both easy canyons if you are used to a swiftwater (whitewater) environment but could be incredibly intimidating if you are not used to dealing with big volumes of water... The guidebook is a must have (if only for its coffee table appeal) but local, uptodate conditions are usually communicated via the kiwicanyons FB page.

The FB page is also a great way to hook up with a local crew (we're all pretty friendly :)) but if your not sure of skill level/want to get the best bang for buck then I would also suggest looking into taking a commercial trip. South Island operators as follows:

Abel Tasman Canyons (also operates the NZ Canyoning School) - Top of the south island
    Big Rock Canyons - Canterbury
    Deep Canyon - Wanaka
    Queenstown Canyoning - Queenstown
    Canyoning NZ - Queenstown

If you make it to the north island the hit me up, I'm always keen for an adventure...

Any other questions, just let me know :twothumbs:

Churr

Oli.
    Ram likes this.
  7. townsend

townsend

Ram likes this.