Send us a suggestion!

New Water Anchor Prototype: The Water Pocket

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bootboy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

The main issue with a waterpocket over a sandtrap, moreso than the possibility of the water going overthe edge, is the backup isn't in as good of a stance. Hard to keep the line to the bag tight, hard to find anything to wedge yourself into, everything around you is wet, muddy, and slippery, water doesn't provide the friction that sand and rock does etc. It's just harder to back-up.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Marginal? Not the best word for it. Usually it is absolutely solid. What I love about it is that you use it FILLED every time. The amount of water does not effect the ability to empty it.

Advanced. I think that is the right word. Requires somewhat more care and experience than a Beginner anchor. On the same order as the FiddleStick and SandTrap.

:moses:
    Steve Woodford and Bootboy like this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Marginal, as you'll recall from upthread, is the word used by its manufacturer to describe it. I agree. Compared to a 12 inch tree, a 2000 lb boulder, a couple of well set bolts etc, it's marginal. Will I still rappel off it? Sure. Am I going to bounce around on it on the way down as LAPAR? Nope.

I also love the fact that you just fill it up. Now if I could figure out what happened that time you and I had trouble pulling it, I'd feel a little better.
    Steve Woodford and ratagonia like this.
  4. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Try Frog Hollow by the Hurricane airport. Just did it today doing final tests of the "Wanchor" aka Water Anchor. A few nice potholes, now completely full.
  5. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

6. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Is Frog Hollow the thing below Mollie's Nipple? I thought that was Gould's Wash.

I run the Nip every night for cardio; often have gazed east at sunset, thinking I should check that out sometime. Is there beta for it anywhere?
  7. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

No written beta as far as I know. We have been doing it for the last 10 years or so since Rick and Eric first bolted it. If you hike up from the bottom on the trail going up to the left of the canyon, over the top and follow the road for a mile or so, then cut right across to the wash. Go right down the wash. There are some interesting downclimbs(which some bozo has bolted the hell out of all the way down the canyon). The first rapel is about 250-300ft mostly on steep slope with a short freehang at the bottom. Wander down to the next slide into a pothole. Rap down to a very narrow ledge about 8ft above the ground and work your way to the left(facing the wall)and down. Usually some water here. Nice little problems further down and one last short rap to exit canyon. Have fun.
    Yellow Dart, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  8. adolfo_isassi

adolfo_isassi

Any updates on the "Wanchor" since Oct 2016?
    I'm interested in one.
  9. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Im finishing a run of several Waterpockets in the next 2 weeks. All are spoken for but 5. Please contact me if interested and think you can use it without killing yourself. I reserve the right to not sell one to you if Im not comfortable doing so. Price is $160 plus shipping.

Taylor
  11. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

The prototype of the new Wanchor has arrived and it's perfect. Plastic welded with TPU 2003 20oz Urethane which is more abrasion resistant than other materials. For extra protection of course, it is enclosed in the Sandtrap. Works very simply with a bottom and top drain and can be emptied with a 550 cord only. Weighs in at 30oz.
    $160 plus shipping. sasteve49@gmail.com

Attached Files:

• P1120449.JPG
      Filename:
      P1120449.JPG
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
    • P1120453.JPG
      Filename:
      P1120453.JPG
      File size:
      162.5 KB
      Views:
    • P1120451.JPG
      Filename:
      P1120451.JPG
      File size:
      157 KB
      Views:
    • P1120450.JPG
      Filename:
      P1120450.JPG
      File size:
      144.5 KB
      Views:
    • P1120458.JPG
      Filename:
      P1120458.JPG
      File size:
      161.5 KB
      Views:
    • P1120459.JPG
      Filename:
      P1120459.JPG
      File size:
      143.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Ijust shake my head when I read your post. The purpose of "ghosting" canyons is leave no trace. You leave bolts. But then again maybe you are the type of canyoneer who likes to just walk up, clip in and go. No challenge, no risk.
  13. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

^^^That and the sand displaced by a sandtrap would have just been moved anyway by the next flash flood in a month or two, not so with the "sand" displaced by a bolt.
    Bootboy likes this.
  14. Rapterman

Rapterman

Steve
    WOW that is nice construction:
    rare to see such fancy welding from us garage operators :)
    Have you got a friend at an 'inflatable' shop?
    Best
    Todd
    Steve Woodford likes this.
  15. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Yes, I shopped it out. Protoype worked fantastic. Made slight mods and going into production. Unfortunately, they have a military contract to finish first by a deadline, so the Wanchor will only be available by the 10th October for delivery. sasteve49@gmail.com
    hank moon, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  16. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Already have 6 orders. I can increase the order numbers anytime before the production date.
  17. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Most of current run are finished. Began shipping today. I still have a few up for grabs. Most are red, a few are Army green. I'll do another run of them beginning at the end of the month.

PM or email me at atwoodgear@gmail.com if interested.

I also weighed the Waterpocket. It is 1lb even. A stand alone unit that doesnt require tying up your sandtrap. Simple and purpose built. Hundreds of rappels logged safely. The most proven and tested water anchor available.

The Waterpocket requires a fiddlestick to use so from now on, a fiddle stick will be included with purchase of a Waterpocket.

I'm going to make an instructional video. Look for it in the coming weeks.

Taylor
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  18. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Taylor, your Waterpocket sounds like a great step forward in the water anchor saga which we have been experimenting with since 2010. I first tested a large drybag inside a Sandtrap back then and in conjunction with input from Ram, Jenny, Tom amd myself the game was on. Jenny came up with the first viable anchor, the Aquanchor. I dabbled around with mine , but was interrupted for a few years by unforeseen circumstances. Now I am back and designed the Water Anchor(Wanchor) which has been tested recently and works great as well. It takes literally 15 seconds to put in the Sandtrap, not "tying it up". The reason I placed it in the Sandtrap is for extra protection and also maybe because I am rather attached to my invention(the Sandtrap). It also fills exactly the same way as your Water Pocket. So maybe we will do a canyon together sometime. Good luck and be safe out there....
    Bootboy likes this.
  19. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Steve, I'm sorry if my post came off as critical of you wanchor. Just pointing out that the Waterpocket is capable of being used at the same time as a sandtrap on two different anchor problems at the same time. It's size and portability make it simple and easy to carry and a joy to use.

I totally understand your attachment to the sandtrap. You have indeed made a significant contribution to the ethics of ghosting, and you have my respect for that.

I've been out with Ram, tom, and jenny and they've all had constructive feedback on the Waterpocket. It's been in use full time buy several users for nearly 3 years now and has proven itself many times over.

My humble opinion is that it is the simplest and safest water anchor available. Such has been confirmed many who have used different varieties of water anchors.

Not to diminish the effectiveness of the wanchor.

I see and very much respect what you're offering.

Make no mistake that I admire your innovation but that at the end of the day, I made the Waterpocket to be the best available solution.

I hope to perhaps one do a canyon with you as well.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Likewise, be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

That's fine Taylor. I know Ram has mentioned that he loves the Water Pocket and Jenny too. I just wanted to see my idea come to fruition. If it becomes popular, fine. If not, I will use it anyway. I am a bit of a dabbler and inventor. Actually have a patent on something not related to canyoneering at all and a Prov on another. Just fun to improve on existing things out there. Finishing a canyon on Lake Powell back in 2009 with only 2 intact Potshots left to rap off, out of five, led me to design the Sandtrap. Innovation is the name of the game. Be safe out there....