Send us a suggestion!

New Water Anchor Prototype: The Water Pocket

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bootboy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

The main issue with a waterpocket over a sandtrap, moreso than the possibility of the water going overthe edge, is the backup isn't in as good of a stance. Hard to keep the line to the bag tight, hard to find anything to wedge yourself into, everything around you is wet, muddy, and slippery, water doesn't provide the friction that sand and rock does etc. It's just harder to back-up.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Marginal? Not the best word for it. Usually it is absolutely solid. What I love about it is that you use it FILLED every time. The amount of water does not effect the ability to empty it.

Advanced. I think that is the right word. Requires somewhat more care and experience than a Beginner anchor. On the same order as the FiddleStick and SandTrap.

:moses:
    Bootboy likes this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Marginal, as you'll recall from upthread, is the word used by its manufacturer to describe it. I agree. Compared to a 12 inch tree, a 2000 lb boulder, a couple of well set bolts etc, it's marginal. Will I still rappel off it? Sure. Am I going to bounce around on it on the way down as LAPAR? Nope.

I also love the fact that you just fill it up. Now if I could figure out what happened that time you and I had trouble pulling it, I'd feel a little better.
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

Try Frog Hollow by the Hurricane airport. Just did it today doing final tests of the "Wanchor" aka Water Anchor. A few nice potholes, now completely full.
  5. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

6. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Is Frog Hollow the thing below Mollie's Nipple? I thought that was Gould's Wash.

I run the Nip every night for cardio; often have gazed east at sunset, thinking I should check that out sometime. Is there beta for it anywhere?
  7. Steve Woodford

Steve Woodford

No written beta as far as I know. We have been doing it for the last 10 years or so since Rick and Eric first bolted it. If you hike up from the bottom on the trail going up to the left of the canyon, over the top and follow the road for a mile or so, then cut right across to the wash. Go right down the wash. There are some interesting downclimbs(which some bozo has bolted the hell out of all the way down the canyon). The first rapel is about 250-300ft mostly on steep slope with a short freehang at the bottom. Wander down to the next slide into a pothole. Rap down to a very narrow ledge about 8ft above the ground and work your way to the left(facing the wall)and down. Usually some water here. Nice little problems further down and one last short rap to exit canyon. Have fun.
    Yellow Dart, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  8. adolfo_isassi

adolfo_isassi

Any updates on the "Wanchor" since Oct 2016?
    I'm interested in one.