Send us a suggestion!

New Water Anchor Prototype: The Water Pocket

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bootboy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

It's alive. The current revision of the the prototype is going to lake Powell next week.

Stay tuned for updates
    Deagol, Rapterman and Cameron like this.
  2. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

I got to see this in action last month. Bootboy indicated he had tweaks in mind. Of course any good inventor always has changes in mind. It was a very solid rap and when pulled over edge it had not emptied and made a great big splash!

Chris Grove
    Mountaineer and Rapterman like this.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Recently got back from a trip where we had 20+ flawless deployments of the beta version 2.0. Its dry weigh has been reduced by more than half and it can nearly fit inside a nalgene bottle. Im going to be patterning and producing it in a limited quantity over the coming months
  4. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

I just did a canyon that we were trying to figure out how to ghost, and this was about the only reasonable anchor for one spot. Looking forward to getting one!

Chris Grove
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Coool!!!!!
    gerdman likes this.
  9. Ram

Ram

Got to watch the new version in action all spring. The thing empties beautifully and the geometry is just awesome. A safe low impact tool. I am the owner, courtesy of Jenny, of the water anchor that has seen the most use. Still we would used it sparingly as it took more time effort to set up. What I notice more than anything is that the Waterpocket, on top of working flawlessly, is used more often than the older version and is taking a larger percentage of the 4 primary ghosting techniques than the original version had.. This is a sure sign of its ease of utility and safety. Kudos
    Bootboy and Chris Grove like this.
  10. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Very nice tool, and most importantly taking the time to protect the rock even further as seen in the pics.

Inspiring on both.
  11. rick

rick

12. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

So COOL! :twothumbs:

And cool lookin...gotta figure out how to get a big bader. screened on there...
  13. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

The body is made from 500d Cordura and the liner is made from 70d nylon coated with a waterproof polyurethane membrane.
    Ram likes this.
  14. Canyonero

Canyonero

Bessie rocks!

I hope mine is in that "limited quantity."

I just wanted to give a shoutout for Atwood's potshots as well. I have two of Tom's and they only made it halfway through the trip before blowing out on both sides. The Atwood bag design is quite superior. I'm pretty happy with the fiddlestick and sandtrap too.
    Bootboy likes this.
  15. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I have an Atwood Sandtrap but I have not had a chance to really use it yet...
    Can't wait...
  16. mattwilliams

mattwilliams

That thing is bomber. Even though I have a version of the original Aguanchors, I will be on the beggin' list for one of the Attwood models. After having the pleasure of using it a few times, I see that there are a few things making it safer and more versatile than the Aguanchor.
  17. Canyonero

Canyonero

I don't think the word "bomber" should be applied to sandtraps or waterpockets. If you haven't watched one fail you haven't used it enough. Just make sure it's backed up with meat when it does.
    Ram likes this.
  18. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Some placements are certainly better than others.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Ram likes this.
  19. Ram

Ram

Sandtraps are OK with failures. That is why we consider 4 uses, 3 testers, one LAPAR to be standard. The water anchors actually have a larger "sweet spot." The difference between what holds a rapper and ease of pulling. This is due to the effectiveness of the Waterpockets emptying pre retrieval. BUT don't underestimate the force of a rapper and a heavy water bladder going over an edge can place on back-up person. The good news is the "state of the art" water anchor is behaving so well. Jim or Taylor....did any of the 20 or so applications on the last trip threaten to fail? My comfort with this system soars, just like my heart does! :smuggrin:
    Bootboy and mattwilliams like this.
  20. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Only on one or two occasions did we even tension the backup. I suspect odds of actually getting the anchor to pull were pretty low. On those occasions I noticed whoever it was that was rappelling made errors in technique, as it was not always the heaviest guy getting the most movement. A soft set and a smooth rappel certainly increases the margin of safety.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Ram likes this.