Send us a suggestion!

new to canyoneering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ctilling, Jun 5, 2018.

1. ctilling

ctilling

Hi all,

I have started canyoneering in the last year and am pretty excited about the sport! Most on the canyoneering I have done so far has been in zion. My friends and I climb so we have felt comfortable descending some of the more straightforward canyons there. I just got back from a trip this week doing behunin and mystery. I'm looking to improve my canyoneering skills and am looking for recommendations for canyons outside zion that might fit in my skill range this summer.

Also if anyone one is wiling to take a new canyoneer along, I have my own gear and ropes and am happy to schlep heavy things along. I'd love to learn more skills from more experienced folks!

Conor
    Amy K, Anthony Dye, Yaron and 3 others like this.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

As a climber turned canyoneer, just be aware that there are a few unique skills to canyoneering. Don't get in over your head. Mastering crummy anchors and high friction rappelling, single rope rappel technique/adding friction as needed, pothole escapes, underestimating the ability of cold water to kill you, and high stemming are all ways a decent climber could get into trouble in canyons.
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. Jbancerewicz

Jbancerewicz Jerzy

Anyone who starts canyoniering needs time to learn new techniques from the new activitty. Very good if it is climber because he has overcome barriers like fear, panic
    I like to climb, and I like canyons
  4. ctilling

ctilling

Thanks for the advice! I'm really not that great of a climber, just mentioned that to give the idea that I have some experience handling ropes, though its clearly different then canyoneering. So far I have descended pine creek, keyhole, spry, mystery, behunin, echo, and cassidy arch. I'm basically just looking for advice on how to proceed from here. I know my natural anchor skills need work and know little of pothole escapes.

It seems like a lot of the other canyons in the zion area are a big step up in difficulty, though I was maybe thinking das boot later in the summer. Any other recommendations? I was looking at zero g and knotted rope?
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

Right, but the first time I read beta as a climber I was like "5 rappels, up to 100 feet. I do that just descending off a multi-pitch climb." There's a little more to it than that, and it's best not to discover that in Pine Creek with a 3/2 at 8 am on November 28th or at the bird perch in Heaps facing a 290 foot single 8 mm rope rappel or in the grim section of Kaleidoscope in a shorty in April or staring at a 30 foot pothole in the Waterpocket Fold.
  6. Rapterman

Rapterman

Conor-
    Congrats on ticking off some classics!
    To Canyonero's point I would HIGHLY recommend hiring or hooking up
    with some very experienced canyoneers to get instruction before 'stepping up' to harder canyons.
    El Cap is not where you learn multi-pitch.
    Imlay and Heaps are a bad place for trial and error...
    :)
  7. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

So you own static ropes, a rappel device, harness, helmet, etc already?
    I’m no trainer and I highly recommend classes to learn the best practice rather than a friends opinion on it.
    I’d be happy to invite you along next time we do something more laidback and have the space though.

Edit: Knotted rope is in keeper pothole mode right now I’m sure, which is okay if you go with people that are solid with potholes.
    hank moon, ctilling and Rapterman like this.
  8. ctilling

ctilling

Chasetharp, yeah I have all of my own equipment. Thanks for the offer, it would be great to get out with more experienced canyoneers. My schedule is quite flexible during the summer
    Amy K, Forc and hank moon like this.