Send us a suggestion!

News New Stealth Cow Grazing Area, on Hwy 24 near Factory Butte

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Our friend and colleague Cassy Brown and her vehicle Dutchy (R.I.P.) have identified a new area where they are grazing the special stealth all-black cows at night near Hanksville. We have known for some time that the carefully selected nearly-invisible cows graze along the highway between Hanksville and the Sandthrax campsite; but now they are also grazing them along the highway west of Hanksville, in the area of Factory Butte. They may also be in place north of Hanksville. Alert, paranoid driving and moderate speed are recommended along these stretches of highway.

Our friend received no physical injuries, though her pride was significantly impacted, the wallet assaulted and the vehicle totaled. Airbags and seatbelts, like vaccines, save lives.

Tom
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Glad to hear Cassy's ok!

Infamous Black Cows of the North Wash: traffic stopped, puddle drunk.

210286_1937467437712_1166185_o.
  3. scottensign

scottensign

My neighbor up the street was killed when he was hit one of those cows on the way to Lake Powell several years ago. I have no idea why ranchers are allowed to free range those cows on public land given their record of being a serious hazard?
  4. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

i have a friend who was very seriously injured (2+ years in hospital/rehab learning how to do everything again) about 15 years ago because he caught one of those cows between I-70 and Hanksville on UT24 at night and the resulting accident rolled his car several times. I agree with Scott, it seems a bit of a disregard for public safety to let these cows free graze. Our small community has already volunteered 3 stories alone regarding crashes with these cows. How many more accidents out there have happened as a result?
    Ram likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Political power in Utah is invested in the cow industry.

Tom
    Jenny and Ram like this.
  6. Kuenn

Kuenn

My sincere condolences to any who have suffered loss due to these unfortunate accidents. Glad to hear Cassy is all right - everything else is replaceable.

Yes, a black Angus strolling down the road at night is a bad combination...everybody loses. We don't have free ranging in my locale, but I was under the impression that free-range near state hwys or interstate is supposed to be protected by roadside fencing...maybe not. Be it as it may, those four-legged Houdinis will find a way to get there, fence or no fence. Driver beware!
    Ram likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes on the Interstate. No on State Highways, and the 'rancher' gets paid by the driver for the cow.

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  8. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

So, my black cow wandering on the highway in the dead of night totally wrecked your car and put you in the hospital for 2 weeks, but its all good, here's a bill for the cow.
    Ram likes this.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

And every cow hit just happens to be the most expensive cow the rancher owns.

Anyway, I wonder what the statistics on cow collisions along that road are? My brother in law hit one and I have heard several others have done so as well. Why don't they just put up a fence?
    Ram likes this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Who is "they"?

If it is county commissioners, and they are all ranchers...

It is expensive to fence out the cows for long stretches of rural highway. Are there fences in place that just don't really work?

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

In Colorado, it is CDOT. I can't think of any highways in Colorado that don't have right of way fences, even out in the middle of nowhere. Right now my project is on Highway 13 between Baggs Wyoming and Craig Colorado and we are putting up a ROW fence and it's about as isolated here as Highway 24 east and west of Hanksville.

Although it seems that ranchers should also help with fencing, they do not.

Expensive compared to what? Installed fence is about $3 a foot in isolated rural areas, but the fences are expected to last 50 years. Plus the Feds usually chip in safety money for such projects.

I don't know how much monetary damage cow collisions cost along Highway 24, but in the long run, but I really doubt that it would be cheaper than a fence, especially over a 50 year period.

20 miles of fence for example, would end up costing about $6336 per year based on a 50 year life cycle. I am guessing that the monetary damage to vehicles and cows, as well as possible deaths or injuries to people would be more than $6336 a year for every 10 mile stretch of Highway 24 that has no fence.

For cows, not really, unless a fence is cut, hit by a car, or damaged by a falling tree or flood. ROW fences don't keep deer and elk from crossing the road; they can jump them.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Ali Miller, hank moon, Ram and 2 others like this.
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks Scott. Good to have your expertise on this.

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  13. Kuenn

Kuenn

Unfortunately these all play out all too frequently.

As a small time hobby cattleman ( :punch: string him up) I have experienced every one of these scenarios that Scott mentioned. Add to it the drunk that takes out a section of fence and goes on his merry way. Neighbor calls, at 2am, "Uh, Kuenn, I think you have some cows out." "Sweet!"

I see both sides of the argument and got no solutions, other than, well....eat more chicken!

For the record, there have been 3 bovines over the past 20 years that have met there demise by auto-slaughter at my place. Never charged anyone for it. Never received a dime for the damage to fence or animal. (I'm not one for throwing salt in a wound.)

Again...driver beware.
    Ram likes this.
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

Is it a surprise that grazing laws in Colo-RAD-o and 'bama are more modern than those in Utah?
  15. Kuenn

Kuenn

I think you answered that correctly earlier in the thread. Something about political power/influence in Utah.
  16. Bosco

Bosco

I just drove 24 this morning and in the area of Hog Springs there were groups of them standing in the middle trying to drink water out of the center line rumble strips. A sad hazard it is.
    Ram likes this.
  17. Ram

Ram

How about this? Reflective tags punched thru both ears of every free range cow? The fact that has not happened makes me wonder if the ranchers don't want the money from hit cows. Just sayin....says the guy who hit a deer south of Colorado Springs, on the Interstate and a pregnant juvenile wild horse, south of Bluff, Utah on 191
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Scott Patterson, Dan Ransom and Kuenn like this.
  18. townsend

townsend

I haven't had the time to read this book yet, but I have read a review of it; I think this book provides some of the background for what's going on with the public lands of the American West, including cattle grazing:
    [​IMG]

This is an excerpt of the summary description of the book (from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/This-Land-Capitalism-Corruption-American-ebook/dp/B07JLY26G7):
    Ketcham begins in Utah, revealing the environmental destruction caused by unregulated public lands livestock grazing, and exposing rampant malfeasance in the federal land management agencies, who have been compromised by the profit-driven livestock and energy interests they are supposed to regulate. He then turns to the broad effects of those corrupt politics on wildlife. He tracks the Department of Interior's failure to implement and enforce the Endangered Species Act--including its stark betrayal of protections for the grizzly bear and the sage grouse--and investigates the destructive behavior of U.S. Wildlife Services in their shocking mass slaughter of animals that threaten the livestock industry.

To be sure, it's not just about Utah, but that is where Ketcham starts his narrative.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Ali Miller, Jenny, Ram and 2 others like this.
  19. ratagonia

ratagonia

Looks awesome. Thanks for bringing this up.

Tom
    townsend and Rapterman like this.
  20. Rapterman

Rapterman

Here on planet earth there are about 1.5 Billion (with a B) cows
    Or roughly one cow for every five people.
    Has anyone considered that that is just a little excessive?
    townsend, Jenny and Ram like this.