Send us a suggestion!

New La Sportiva Shoe

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Jules, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jules

Jules Guest

2. Luke Galyan

Luke Galyan Guest

Thanks for sharing. I liked the exums. La Sportiva seems to fit my foot shape well (skinny feet).

For what its worth I am Loving the la sportiva BoulderX shoes. Pain in the but to re-lace though. I found this out after learning I tend to drag the top of my left foot when galumphing.

Luke

Jules julbur@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>La Sportiva's long awaited Xplorer that's replaced the River Exums. They don't look as robust to me. >http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/climbingapproach/xplorer
    >Julie >
  3. +1

Boulder X are great. One pair lasted me a full year which is better than anything else I tried.

Even though Boulder X has leather on the outside which makes dealing with water and slow drying and shrinking difficult.

Still, support, sturdiness and traction outweigh everything else. I even got the second pair for being afraid they would "improve" something to the worse.

Luke Galyan wrote:

> Thanks for sharing. I liked the exums. La Sportiva seems to fit my foot shape well (skinny feet).
    For what its worth I am Loving the la sportiva BoulderX shoes. Pain in the but to re-lace though. I found this out after learning I tend to drag the top of my left foot when galumphing.
    Luke

--

Anton Solovyev
  4. Buzz Burrell

Buzz Burrell Guest

The Xplorer is long-awaited. Compared with the Exum:

* It is more "robust" - beefier, stiffer * It is less of a running shoe - it is a classic "approach" shoe * With a full front rand and the Italian "pointed" toe, it is capable of more technical climbing/scrambling * The Vibram Idro rubber is outstanding - much stickier than other compounds, especially when cold

Summary:

* If you have a wide foot, this might not work * If you like to run, hold on to that last pair of Exum's * This rubber is so good, I wish they put it on other models

BB

PS If you really like to run, the new La Sportiva Vertical K is amazing - 7 oz(!) with more cushion and better grip than shoes weighing 12 oz.

> New La Sportiva Shoe > Posted by: "Jules" julbur@tpg.com.au ropegypsy > Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 am (PDT)
    La Sportiva's long awaited Xplorer that's replaced the River Exums. They don't look as robust to me. > http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/climbingapproach/xplorer
  5. Shaun

Shaun Guest

Thanks Buzz! Question what are you using on your running canyon adventures?

I've got narrow feet & need a different shoes for canyons with long approaches & not so tuff on the shoes. I'll use my 5.10s for the skinny canyons.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Buzz Burrell <buzzburrell@...> wrote:
    * It is more "robust" - beefier, stiffer > * It is less of a running shoe - it is a classic "approach" shoe > * With a full front rand and the Italian "pointed" toe, it is capable of more technical climbing/scrambling > * The Vibram Idro rubber is outstanding - much stickier than other compounds, especially when cold
    Summary:
    * If you have a wide foot, this might not work > * If you like to run, hold on to that last pair of Exum's > * This rubber is so good, I wish they put it on other models
    BB
    PS If you really like to run, the new La Sportiva Vertical K is amazing - 7 oz(!) with more cushion and better grip than shoes weighing 12 oz.
    > New La Sportiva Shoe
    Posted by: "Jules" julbur@... ropegypsy
    Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 am (PDT)

La Sportiva's long awaited Xplorer that's replaced the River Exums. They don't look as robust to me.
    http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/climbingapproach/xplorer

>
  6. Buzz Burrell

Buzz Burrell Guest

I actually don't know what I'll use this year. I've always used the Exum Ridge for everything, and archived a couple pair when they started to develop the Xplorer, so it's possible I may continue with them. Stray thoughts:

* The whole buckle thing eluded me - shoelaces work really well - why add weight and no function? * Having said that, I do note the 5.10 Canyoneer has a great look, quite distinctive, so they're doing really well with that and won't change. * I have a very wide foot - EEE - so I make the Exums work by pulling the laces out, then re-lacing skipping the first two eyelets - the Xplorer also has a low vamp (distance between the first lace and the front of a shoe is the vamp) - so that may work on them as well. * The La Sportiva X-Country is a bad-ass shoe you might want to check out - narrow, trim, with an aggro outsole. * The La Sportiva Vertical-K is truly amazing - 7 oz! - but with more cushion than 13 oz clunkers. Zero support, but wonderful on your foot. * Tony's new design, the New Balance MT 110 is very impressive - very different concept than the V-K - it is bonier with excellent control on technical terrain.

So … nowadays we have the wonderful option of many excellent tools to chose from instead of almost nothing … each route might be best done in a different shoe.

Have Fun.

And RIP Micah - you were a wonderful soul.

BB

> Posted by: "Shaun" trackrunner83@yahoo.com trackrunner83 > Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:19 pm (PDT)
    Thanks Buzz! Question what are you using on your running canyon adventures?
    I've got narrow feet & need a different shoes for canyons with long approaches & not so tuff on the shoes. I'll use my 5.10s for the skinny canyons.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Buzz Burrell <buzzburrell@...> wrote:

* It is more "robust" - beefier, stiffer
    * It is less of a running shoe - it is a classic "approach" shoe
    * With a full front rand and the Italian "pointed" toe, it is capable of more technical climbing/scrambling
    * The Vibram Idro rubber is outstanding - much stickier than other compounds, especially when cold

Summary:

* If you have a wide foot, this might not work
    * If you like to run, hold on to that last pair of Exum's
    * This rubber is so good, I wish they put it on other models

BB

> New La Sportiva Shoe
    > Posted by: "Jules" julbur@... ropegypsy
    > Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 am (PDT)

La Sportiva's long awaited Xplorer that's replaced the River Exums. They don't look as robust to me.
    > http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/climbingapproach/xplorer
    >