Send us a suggestion!

FS New gear for sale

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Bootboy, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Hey everyone,

For those of you who are looking for a personal safety tether, like the Imlay clipster which is sold out. I have full strength, 60cm (24") safety tethers for sale. Assorted colors. Full strength, rated to 22kn made from 11/16" super tape. $15 plus free shipping. They have a polyurethane biner keeper in one end and with your choice of either a large eye for girth hitching or a tight eye for biners or a quick link.

Updated bomb bags also made to order. New webbing, Assorted colors. $30 with free shipping.

Also, my version 2.0 of the sand anchor (Sandtrap) should be available some time next month. It includes updated webbing, a bib for preventing wear on the webbing and reducing rope grooving and an optimized new shape. I'm waiting on a third party for the sewn eyes on the anchor straps. $90 and free shipping! Place orders now. Color choice upon request.

Get geared up for the upcoming season.

The Waterpocket water anchor is still in beta but I hope to have it dialed by mid season. Updates to follow

PM me with inquiries.

See you in the canyons.

Taylor

Sorry, no rope bags.
  2. skeeter

skeeter A holed piston is just an ashtray

Any pictures?
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Workin on it
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395348259.323119.

These pics are from an unfinished bag, my own personal bags are filthy.
    New webbing and pattern on the bags. The webbing is sewn in an X across the bottom and the webbing is sewn with one strap 360° around the bag. This design is highly resistant to blow outs. The webbing is 100% polyester which is much, much more abrasion resistant. The handles are made from bright orange 1,000lb polyurethane coated webbing which is extremely abrasion resistant and remains firm for a good grip when wet.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395349225.748688. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395349272.760148.
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

No pics of the sand anchor thingy right now. Stay tuned
  6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395353657.188316. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395353697.277009.

Protector on the distal end of the tether. Urethane sewn over the webbing to protect against abrasion in this hi-wear area.[​IMG]
    Mountaineer likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Polyester is more abrasion resistant than nylon????

You got something to back that up with?

Generally, they are understood to be pretty much the same in that property, pound for pound.

Tom
  8. skeeter

Is the tether designed to girth hitch to your harness but still have the biner keeper on the other side? In the picture it looks like the harness side is kinda small to girth hitch. Sorry for all the questions. Also are you doing the half twist in the hitch side to keep it straight?
    Those bags look awesome by the way.
  9. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

The polyester I'm using is a tighter weave, therefore it is more abrasion resistant. the weight is about the same but the polyester has 500 pounds greater strength
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Again, you got some lab tests or other data to back that up?

Tighter weave usually means smaller fibers. May or may not be more abrasion resistant. Certainly hard to justify a statement like:

"The webbing is 100% polyester which is much, much more abrasion resistant."

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - or at least SOME evidence.

And just to be clear, webbing manufacturers say all sorts of things about their products, which may or may not be true. Abrasion resistance in particular is very difficult to measure, and the standard lab test can be manipulated to produce almost any result desired. Please be skeptical of passing on such claims. Perhaps after using it in the field and doing a field-type informal test, such a claim could be made.

I will grant that 100% polyester is much, much more abrasion resistant than polyethelene webbing, and polypropelene webbing. You DID not say what you were comparing it to, but the natural assumption would be the other contender in a similar usage, which would be nylon. The "tensile strength" tends to correlate roughly with abrasion resistance, being, as it were, a measure of the amount of material.

Tom
  11. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I have double small eyes available now. The the half twist large eyes are about three weeks out. I farm out my bar tacking. That's why.
    skeeter likes this.
  12. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

It's really easy to justify the statement. no labs tests. Just real world experience with both. It's more abrasion resistant for same reasons YOUR ropes are more durable than a soft nylon dynamic rope; weaving tension. It can be reasonably inferred that I'm comparing it the webbing used in the same application. Which happens to be nylon.

I have made gear out of both types of webbing. The polyester has held up noticeably better to the specific type of abrasion which we encounter. CANYON ABRASION.
  13. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Tell me this Tom, what if any, are the draw backs of using polyester for this application?
    It absorbs almost no water like nylon. It is, in the real world, more abrasion resistant. Price is the same, working with it is the same. In my mind, for the given application, there are no drawbacks. It's a win for polyester.

Which is why I use it.
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

Polyester got a bad rap due to... Disco?

But there is also a technical reason. "Polyester" is a bigger family of fibers than "nylon", and much of the original stuff (60's, 70's) was not so good. It was generally not used for technical stuff because Nylon had come along earlier, was inexpensive, and did a great job. Polyester (Dacron) was used on boats; nylon (perlon) was used for climbing.

Flip things forward to now - yes, there are polyester fibers and webbings comparable in properties to nylon. But polyester is still associated with cheapy, poorly-made stuff. You buy a backpack at Walmart, the packcloth will be polyester. The straps, well, the current trend is to make the straps out of polypropelene, with a weave that makes them look like they are nylon. Half the price of nylon webbing. In other words... "polyester" is still associated with cheesy stuff; "nylon" is still associated with the best stuff.

If you are using high-quality polyester webbing, then it is good stuff. Certainly a guy who makes 100% polyester ropes has nothing against polyester as a fiber. If you are using polyester "Cordura" - ie, woven polyester fabric designed to look like Cordura - well that is definitely an inferior product. Nylon is "tougher" than polyester, and in fabric that is an important property.

Objective abrasion tests between webbing in the two fibers tend to show them pretty much the same. Purely tensile tests, nylon tends to be about 10% stronger when dry; polyester about equal when both are "wet".

Of course, I'm pulling these numbers out of my ... ear, so I cannot cite a source. Wikipedia is usually pretty good at some of this stuff, but the pages on fibers tend to be controlled by the lobby for that particular chemical, so...
    Mountaineer likes this.
  15. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I'm well aware of the stigma surrounding polyester. I'm somewhat versed in the history of polymers, Wallace Carrothers, yada yada...

The fact is that having made items out of both materials, the polyester webbing has held up better. Now whether or not that's a function of it being polyester, or a function of the way it's made I don't know and I don't care. I would not deliberately use an inferior product just for the sake of being different or make a bogus claim.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

I hope you or anyone else did not think that was my implication. You made a claim that it was "much, much more abrasion resistant" and attributed that improved performance to it being made from polyester. That seemed, and still seems to me at least, to be a bit of an exaggeration. Fred Phelps had scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning - and then died. I am NEVER having scrambled eggs again!
  17. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I know that correlation does not imply causation. But to me it seems like a fairly logical conclusion to have drawn.
  18. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

My products are first quality and highly functional.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. skeeter

I'm still in, from a readers standpoint I still feel the same. This is good looking gear. I also like the look of those rope bags. Plenty of room in this market.
    Shane likes this.
  20. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

(Old caver) conventional wisdom is that when wet, polyester rope is more abrasion resistant than nylon rope.

but...

re: rope abrasion tests. PMI used to have a test that clearly showed their caving rope (w/tightly woven nylon sheath) was far more abrasion resistant than Bluewater's. Of course, BW had a different test that clearly showed the opposite was true of their more supple rope.

Fun for nerds:

http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/Technical Bulletins/TB_Abrasion Testing Mining Working Ropes_JUN2013_WEB.pdf

http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/Technical Papers/TP_Abrasion and Residual Strength of Fiber Tuglines_APR2004.pdf

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/TP_Abrasion and Twist Effects on HighPerformance Synthetic_JAN2009.pdf