Send us a suggestion!

New CRITR rappel device

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Rapterman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

Thank you very much to all who have contributed ideas and encouragement for development of the CRITR canyoneering rappel device.
    Desi and I really appreciate it! :)
    AND we could use MORE of your advice!
    We have been fabricating the CRITR2's in our own machining center and have reached the point where our 'out-put'
    of 200-300 units every few weeks is not keeping up with demand :help:.
    It is every equipment designers dream for a creation achieve 'classic' status; where a balance of function, safety, weight, simplicity, durability, and
    price come together in one product. Think: Imlay Kolob Pack....or Canyon Fire rope.
    For the past couple of years Desi, Carl, and I have been testing LOTS of CRITR variants (over 20 of them!) in an effort to 'improve' the CRITR2.
    For every small gain in one direction (say, reduced weight) some other value (like durability) is reduced.
    Now at a manufacturing 'cross-roads', we are asking "Is the CRITR2 a classic?" and is it worth the investment and financial risk o_O to keep up with current demand?
    To date, CRITRs have been a REALLY expensive hobby, but by investing in volume production they MIGHT make money.
    More retailors have been knocking.
    Also of concern is that we are getting hassled by imitators who are making noise about selling CRITR copies :facepalm:.
    Your thoughts on these matters are welcome.

CRITR3
    Complicating things further we HAVE a new CRITR design which moves in a slightly different direction that we really like!

CRITR3 field test 2.
    hank moon and townsend like this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

The CRITR3 is a design variation we had on paper from the beginning of the first CRITR.
    Originally we thought it too heavy, but now (at version number 14!) have solved that problem.
    It has mostly the same function of the CRITR2, but we have added 'feet' to the legs which creates additional friction settings 'on the fly'.
    Cut from the same block of aluminum as the CRITR2 (same height and width) and weighing in at 4.9 oz., the CRITR3 provides progressive
    friction settings that are helpful on LONG drops- 300 feet- or so.
    CRITR3 passes UIAA test and is in the canyons for thorough testing.

CRITR3 field test.
  3. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I'm not sure if it answers your question because I'm still in the CRITR, and haven't tried the CRITR2. I love it, and I'd reach for it before anything else, I'll buy another before I reach back into the archives of other devices that I now keep out of historical curiosity rather than an intention of ever using them again. Go CRITR! (2, 3, 4). I'm glad you crazy people have these expensive hobbies that make my life better.
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Kuenn, Dave Melton, ratagonia and 2 others like this.
  4. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

do the "feet" on the 'legs" make it harder to do a double wrap of rope around the arms/legs? Seems like it could be a possibility ??
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

Well...during my visit to ZAC last month, I picked up my seconded CRITR2 as a backup in case something happens to my first one while in canyon...that is how much I like it. Only wish I had seen it a week before I did last year when I purchased a different (but similar) device. My novice feedback...can you either print the sticker that was in the package on a clear sticker or cut it outlined to the shape (which I was stoked to see). I know both of those add cost, but it looks way better, see.
    uploadfromtaptalk1463168998427.

As for the CRITR3, maybe I missed it, but the feet must provide an additional friction setting for all friction options that is different enough from any of the others to warrant the changes? Or do the feet just add an A+++ of B++ setting and if you are using A, B or A+, there would be no benefit? Or, is it an "ease to add" vs a full rap of the legs and arms thing?
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. Rapterman

Rapterman

Good questions!
    The current version of the CRITR3 allows easily for a double wrap of rope around the lower leg or just hooking both double ropes on the 'foot'.
    So there is no 'interference' with any of the current CRITR settings (and cheez, was that a chore to work out:rolleyes2:).
    Clangingsymbol: The setting ZERO, ONE, and TWO are the same.
    At any time one can use 'panic wraps' : the A, A+, and A++,
    but sequential friction (SINGLE ROPE) works best by
    starting with ZERO
    then for more friction add Position B (up over the arm)
    then if more needed hook down around the lower 'foot'
    then for more move the brake hand out to the side which has a very strong braking effect
    then if you need even MORE friction then complete a wrap up over the arm.
    Four distinct friction steps above ZERO.
    We will have better photos/ demos soon.
    Love the sticker!
    FULL SIZED CRITR STICKERS COMING UP!
    Best
    Todd
    :D
    Deagol likes this.
  7. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

interesting. I am still on the CRITR1 and am happy with it. when mine wears out, seems that they will be improved somewhat.
    Rapterman likes this.
  8. Rapterman

Rapterman

We are considering the CRITR3 targeted to 'advanced canyoneers' (like yourself!).
    The CRITR2 ideal for general use (and a plus to beginners) owing to it's simplicity.
  9. Kuenn

Kuenn

Lots of admiration for the CRITR and it's progeny. But what really caught my attention (not to side-track the conversation) is the anchor-talent-magic from the above picture.
    anchor-magic.
    Now that's what I'm talk'n bout...:woot:
    Rapterman likes this.
  10. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

P.S. Being a larger sort, I don't really have a "too much friction" problem with the the CRITR 1 (especially when a big pack is added). In fact, it seems like it was built for me. So if anyone is looking to dump a tried-but-didn't-like-it model, lemme know!
    Rapterman likes this.
  11. Rapterman

Rapterman

Thanks Kuenn
    We are practicing at a climbing area by our house- nice 80 foot overhanging drop-
    and to keep things simple we have a self-equalizing spectra runner to two bolts with a canyon quick link
    set with a figure eight contingency in case of 'prototype malfunction' (of the stuck on rope type).
    :)
    Kuenn likes this.
  12. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

_afoto.

fairly authentic-esque for a boutique brand
    Rapterman likes this.
  13. Rapterman

Rapterman

Nooooooooo....
    The CRITR is the PRIMARY device.
    The ATS is the 'back-up' device.
    :D
  14. canyawningiscontagious

canyawningiscontagious

MOAR CRITRS put me down for 3 3's :)

PS, I love the new "feet" and can't wait to try it out!
    Rapterman likes this.
  15. CarlosValdez

CarlosValdez

I like the critr, i still have to find the sweet spot of friction for free hanging rappel, first one is still running fine has good wear properties, second one (critr2) havent tried it yet but i think the smaller hole will present some difficulties with my fat (11 mm) ropes i use.

It has attracted some attention from my fellows, maybe even to buy one for themselves as it's in a similar price range as the piraña here in mexico (well that if the dollar stops skyrocketting).
    Rapterman likes this.
  16. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Carlos
    CRITR2 has LARGER head opening than the original CRITR, which lowers the initial friction and should be
    friendlier towards your 11mm ropes.
    What setting are you using now for over-hangs, and are you rapping single or double strand?
  17. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Chase Rocking Pandora's

Anyone notice anything different about the photo? Just curious, I was there so I already know what is out of the ordinary.

HINT: There is a reason he's rocking the ATS and not the CRITR 2 on his harness.
    Rapterman likes this.
  18. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

CRITR not approved for use with 6mm "rope" :)
    Rapterman likes this.
  19. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Not sure on approval but ats provided more friction without adding addition wraps of the legs/horns making a nice sweet spot for this rope with the ats.

The reason I hate ats on +8mm ropes is the reason in functions so well On that rope.
    Rapterman likes this.
  20. Rapterman

Rapterman

I appreciate the opportunity to ask about rappelling with sub-8mm rope...
    Is this becoming 'more common' , and if so what brand and diameters of 'micro' rope are people using?
    Thanks CRNPRES! :)
    Last edited: May 18, 2016