Send us a suggestion!

New CRITR rappel device

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Rapterman, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

The Canyon Werks CRITR rappel device. Two years in the making, finally the machining center is buzzing aluminum! :):):)
    First operation, first two samples, first peek...
    Yes Hank, there are little paws on there.
    DSCN3718.JPG
  2. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean Master of the obvious

Wow, second new device unveiled in 24 hours. I love the experimentation that is going on! I mostly love that it is being undertaken by folks in our community that KNOW what we want and need, rather than big brands. Keep it up guys! I want a CRITR and a SQURIL to test in the big ditch next month, and I promise a full review when we get out.
    Blake Merrell likes this.
  3. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

Interesting. This is kinda what I imagined when Desi was explaining to me on the phone what you were trying to accomplish with this device. Looks pretty cool! (and people thought a Totem looked funny?? HAHA)

Looks like a mix of the Pirana and ATS :) :twothumbs:
  4. Rapterman

Rapterman

There will be better shots and video of the Canyon Werk's CRITR, soon, when we put the first samples to the test (both rappelling and break testing).
    Luke (bluegnome) is also coming up fast with his SQURIL.
    I think BOTH devices are going to be a big leap forward in 'variable control' while on rappel.
    It is going to be a great season for gear choices:)
    Thanks for your comments.
    Todd and Desi
    Jeremy Freeman and ratagonia like this.
  5. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

I will be very curious to see how these compare to the Totem and ATS ;)
    Brett Zenor likes this.
  6. PG Rob

PG Rob

Where is the SQURIL unveiled? How can I find it?
  7. dweaver2130

dweaver2130 Canyoneering Duo from AZ

I'm pretty excited myself, hopefully they will be out before my ATS wears out….(soon)
  8. Rapterman

Rapterman

Time line on Canyon Werk's CRITR is about 3-4 weeks (machining, anodizing, laser etching).
    For SQUIRL info someone needs to hit up Luke at bluugnome.com- he is the inventor and the first photos are on his buddies FB page.
    Hey Luke, how about a posting!
    Regarding wear issues- the CRITR is symmetrical so it can (and should be) flipped over often to spread the wear out. It looks like this will keep the part running at least 50% longer than other devices (Prana, ATS)
    Todd and Desi
    Chris Grove likes this.
  9. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

It looks like one of the characters from the old "Space Invaders" video game.. :cool:
  10. Bluu

Bluu

The design of the SQWUREL is done finally after a year and a half or so. I feel it is a very good device with little to no rope twist, easy on the fly adjustment of friction, a range of friction that can accommodate large and small people (on double rope or on single strand ultra thin slick stuff) and a couple other nice features.

I have no clue how to go about making this a real thing for sale but have begun my quest. Thanks to Todd for input and tips in the area of having stuff made. So since I am not as far into the process and am still trying to figure it out (can you say a little intimidated) I can not put a time line on when the SQWUREL gets let loose on the general public.

In the mean time I have a few prototypes (lots of personal labor in these boys so not the preferred way to make em) and will be using one myself. I will have some spares I will tote along as well to loan to people for the day when in canyon with me. If you are attending the Death Valley Fest next month say hello and I would be happy to show the little guy off.

For now youll have to settle for info that seeps into the interwebs via facebook and various posts. The SQWUREL is on its way but just not super fast since I have some learning to do and some cash to outlay to make it a reality. The version some of you saw in Mike's pictures from Spry is not the final version but VERY close to it. A few small tweaks were made in the final version to iron out a couple wrinkles and add some extra metal to the wear zones.

Stay tuned. But for now enjoy Todd's CRITR..... cool device that will be here much sooner than the SQWUREL.

Luke
    hank moon, bnwilso, MrAdam and 3 others like this.
  11. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

12. Brett Zenor

Brett Zenor

Very sick! Reminds me of a hybrid Sterling ATS mixed with a figure 8 device. Love to hear how it performs.
  13. Rapterman

Rapterman

Nice petroglyphs, Hank!
    CRITR looks like petroglyph/spaceman when upright and like a very large tick when hanging down from your harness biner.
    SQWUREL looks like.. a SQWUREL! (is that an acronym?????)
    It has been GREAT sharing notes and a waterjet run with Luke during development of SQWUREL and CRITR.
    It takes such a long time from concept to working part, Lukes creativity and enthusiasm have really been a boost!
    We luv ya man!
    Todd and Desi
    mattwilliams and hank moon like this.
  14. dweaver2130

dweaver2130 Canyoneering Duo from AZ

So me being big…what kinds of friction can I expect with either of these new devices.

I am 250lbs, 305 today with my Grand Canyon pack on, and rappel on 8mm occasionally.
  15. Bluu

Bluu

The SQWUREL will do ya good. That was one of the goals..... create a range of friction suited for small people and more importantly my big guy friends (you all know who you are) that hate rapping one single rope because they are too heavy. The SQWUREL will give plenty of friction even with youre big ol pack on and on 8mm single strand.
    hank moon likes this.
  16. Rapterman

Rapterman

Ditto for Canyon Werk's CRITR. Both devices were created to solve the issue of "big person, skinny rope".
    At a recent canyoneering seminar we were practicing 'pick-offs'- rapping down (single line on new 8mm) and attaching to a second person who is stuck on their rappel, releasing them from their rope, then rapping both people down attached to the same device.
    This is easily managed with the CRITR- rappel in on normal setting, lock off, pick off, and then keep an extra wrap on the device to rappel both people in.
    My wife can do this with me as the dead weight and control the rap easily even with two fingers.
    Parker Simper, our local guide/rescue tech has done multiple practice pick-offs with the CRITR with his weight 200+ lbs, and a second person 200+ lbs. and found it to be a piece of cake to control, also.
    In my shop, rapping off my scissor lift, I have had a maximum of me (145 lbs) and a sand bag with 400 lb.s of lead shot. Again, easy to control.
    yetigonecrazy, Tyler, Kuenn and 3 others like this.
  17. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Once everything is ready, it would be great to see this done in video format...
  18. Rapterman

Rapterman

Video, Yes!
    Just approved the first samples. Now the run of 1000 pc. starts.
    When the weather improves we'll try to shoot some video with a prototype.
    Deagol, hank moon and Blake Merrell like this.
  19. Kuenn

Kuenn

Very impressive! :twothumbs:
    For those who have never tried this exercise - it's not a trivial task. Looking forward to a video of the CRITR...including a pick-off and the setting changes would be great to see, as well as instructional.
  20. Rapterman

Rapterman

Uhh...previous statement should be amended to: "the lock-off and additional friction is easily managed by the CRITR!"
    The actual 'pick-off' - counterbalancing the other person and raising them slightly then tying them off and releasing their original device- this CAN BE a major thrash the first time (or two) through. With Desi and I, difficulties further compounded by 'partner stress' (Honey, are you SURE you know what you're doing?!!!).
    That everyone in the group was (ultimately) successful at this maneuver probably has more to do with Parker Simper's teaching skills and the tenacity of the participants, than the CRITR. (But the CRITR helps).