Send us a suggestion!

New Canyon Rope! Atwood Exclusive

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bootboy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Preston
    See above 1,2,3,4,5, and 6?
    The problem is not with the rope...
    You can mitigate some of the issues with ATCs by rapping only on 10-11mm rope.
    And limiting your rappels to 30 feet or less.
    And not getting them sandy or wet.
    :D
  2. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

I mentioned the ATC jokingly considering the very thorough prior discussion. But I do like my ropes with a little more beef... like me.
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

No comment :speechless:

Still need to figure out the exact price but it's looking like it will come in under the cost of the Grand. A little heavier, a little thicker, and a more durable sheath.

I'm really excited about this rope.
  4. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

So it's going to be cheaper but yet more durable? Where do I sign up?
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

That's the idea. What you're giving up is the weight savings and packability. The new rope won't have the Dyneema core that allows the Grand to be made so light and skinny. It will however be exceptionally static still. Consider it more of a "working rope" and less of a specialty rope. It should also be much more newb friendly.
  6. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

I'm not afraid of a few extra pounds, if I ever become, I'd rather lose them from my belly than from my rope anyways.
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I received a sample piece of the new rope and we’re going to change a few things to get it just right. Aiming for ~8.5mm and a firmer hand. Will likely add bulk in equal parts sheath and core. The current prototype has been tested and passes all important specs.

I don’t know what the final weight will be but it will be virtually identical to other ropes of its same size.

It will be a 75/25% technora/polyester sheath and a parallel or long braid polyester core. Aiming for at least 55% sheath mass.

Still deciding on the final accent color too. I will likely order multiple colors once this rope starts to sell.

Thanks for your patience everyone.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I thought I should add that I have an Atwood sandtrap and it was constructed to very high standards. I went out with an experienced friend (you know who you are) and he was impressed with the sleeve that it includes to reduce rope groves that his model did not have. Overall thumbs up from a satisfied customer..
    Bootboy and hank moon like this.