Send us a suggestion!

New Canyon Rope! Atwood Exclusive

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bootboy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Preston
    See above 1,2,3,4,5, and 6?
    The problem is not with the rope...
    You can mitigate some of the issues with ATCs by rapping only on 10-11mm rope.
    And limiting your rappels to 30 feet or less.
    And not getting them sandy or wet.
    :D
  2. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

I mentioned the ATC jokingly considering the very thorough prior discussion. But I do like my ropes with a little more beef... like me.
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

No comment :speechless:

Still need to figure out the exact price but it's looking like it will come in under the cost of the Grand. A little heavier, a little thicker, and a more durable sheath.

I'm really excited about this rope.
  4. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

So it's going to be cheaper but yet more durable? Where do I sign up?
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

That's the idea. What you're giving up is the weight savings and packability. The new rope won't have the Dyneema core that allows the Grand to be made so light and skinny. It will however be exceptionally static still. Consider it more of a "working rope" and less of a specialty rope. It should also be much more newb friendly.
    darhawk likes this.
  6. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

I'm not afraid of a few extra pounds, if I ever become, I'd rather lose them from my belly than from my rope anyways.
    darhawk likes this.
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I received a sample piece of the new rope and we’re going to change a few things to get it just right. Aiming for ~8.5mm and a firmer hand. Will likely add bulk in equal parts sheath and core. The current prototype has been tested and passes all important tests.

I don’t know what the final weight will be but it will be virtually identical to other ropes of its same size.

It will be a 75/25% technora/polyester sheath and a parallel or long braid polyester core. Aiming for at least 55% sheath mass.

Still deciding on the final accent color too. I will likely order multiple colors once this rope starts to sell.

Thanks for your patience everyone.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  8. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I thought I should add that I have an Atwood sandtrap and it was constructed to very high standards. I went out with an experienced friend (you know who you are) and he was impressed with the sleeve that it includes to reduce rope groves that his model did not have. Overall thumbs up from a satisfied customer..
  9. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

Any news on the new rope model? Didn’t see anything on the site.
  10. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Would you post the method used to determine sheath mass?
  11. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

The rope manufacturer has been extremely busy with preparation for a QC audit, which took place last week. The engineer that I work with was in charge of all the compliance matters and is now on a much deserved vacation. We’re hoping to resume production of the final product within a couple weeks.

Again, I’m sorry for the delay but it is coming.

It will be worth the weight, I promise
    Christian Felger likes this.
  12. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

By weight.

Braiders and weavers use materials in such quantities that using lengths is not a practical way to measure raw materials. All of their materials are measured by weight and length is approximated using the D-Tex or denier system.

When determining sheath mass, they simply count the weight of fiber used in the core vs the sheath by weighing what is left of a known quantity after the production run of a given product.

So you divide the weight of a rope (typically grams per meter) by the relative weights of the sheath and core fibers used for that length.
    Yellow Dart and hank moon like this.
  13. davantalus

davantalus

39g/meter is 2.62 lbs/100ft. Which figure has the rounding error?

Either way, that's a VERY light rope. Is the core is braided or parallel?
  14. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Not sure which figure has the error. Negligible though.

Core is parallel Dyneema
  15. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Probably in the g/m since that's a much smaller sample size than lbs/100ft.
    Bootboy likes this.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

I am interested in why you would want to know this? And what you know about the difference in performance between the two, as I know very little.

Tom
  17. davantalus

davantalus

I'm trying to figure out why it's the lightest 8mm canyon rope in the world, by a significant amount. Not being braided likely decreases weight. I'll leave the "Is it a good thing?" part of question for someone like Bootboy with more experience than I have, sorry I can't contribute knowledge on that. :\

If you asked if the Ferrari was 651 or 655 horsepower and they said, "Not sure. It's negligible." As an end user, you'd probably wonder why they didn't know.

I'd love to learn more about your testing methods and the exact numbers if you find out! :)

Thanks for the detailed response!

That's why I found the error. I was using the "smaller" units to update a rope comparison page. I've seen so many shady "oh that was proooobably a mistake in our favor that (we didn't correct)" numbers from every manufacturer that I don't even try to interpret them anymore. Lets talk about the C-IV elongation figures sometime for a fun ride. ;)
    Bootboy likes this.
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Since I have worked for a technical product company, I would know that the answer is this: "Because the marketing department has not decided yet what we are officially going to say". The horsepower generated by your Ferrari engine will vary based on relative humidity, altitude, exact formula of gasoline, and how your stallion is feeling on that particular day; so if you really want to know how many horsepower your engine is generating to the nearest "1", you might try a rebuilt 1964 VW Bus, which I can pretty much guarantee will generate darn close to 45 horsepower, just barely enough to get out of its own way.

Taylor may or may not have access to an analytic balance, but I am pretty sure he has not weighed out 10 samples each from 5 different production runs; and we really should get on him for not providing standard deviation information when he provides weights, perhaps... ;-)

Tom
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Bootboy likes this.
  19. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Or you could just say, "I don't know how horsepower is calculated"....ha ha.

I always appreciate independent product reviews that measure themselves, and, compare to a manuf's numbers. They can be pretty different.

I would think g/m would be fairly easy to measure. Some level of accuracy in your measuring equipment. Its a length and a weight. Not rocket surgery.
  20. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

My understanding, according to my rope maker, is that parallel cores tend to be more static.
    Braided cores tend to help the rope maintain its shape, i.e. not flattening when running through hardware. More of a consideration with bigger, softer ropes that are run through a wider variety of hardware.

There may be other properties that change based on braided vs parallel cores, but staticity is the primary consideration for our application.
    Tom Collins and ratagonia like this.