Send us a suggestion!

New Canyon Rope! Atwood Exclusive

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Bootboy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Editing this thread to introduce a new line of high performance custom canyoneering rope to be sold exclusively by Atwood Gear.

The idea behind having custom ropes made exclusively for Atwood came from a belief that that a rope with the ideal combination of performance and value did not exist in the market. So I contacted several rope manufacturers and found one willing to partner with me in this endeavor. They have a long standing reputation as a premier, US based, manufacturer of premium quality ropes for a wide range of industries. They are ISO 9001 certified and their products meet or exceed applicable standards of a wide array of certifications for the industries they serve.

We started with something simple and are working together to create ropes of greater performance and value than any other on the market.

The first model being introduced is The Grand, as in Grand Canyon. The ideal rope for skilled canyoneers who venture far from the beaten path and need a rope that can meet the performance demands and weight premium of such endeavors.

The Grand has a diameter of 8mm, a polyester sheath and a parallel Dyneema core which give it exceptional strength and static properties, even for its exceptional light weight. The sheath mass is a whopping 63% !

It weighs a scant 2.65 lbs per 100 feet (39g/meter), has an average breaking strength of 5400 lbs, and static elongation of a mere 0.93% @ 300 lbF, making it the lightest as well as one of the strongest, and most static canyon ropes on the market.

All of this coming at the exceptional price of $1.20/ft

More models are in R&D and coming for the new year.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

edit
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

New rope is here.

WARNING: This rope is intended for advanced users and should not be used by those inexperienced with skinny ropes. Use only with figure 8 based descenders and not with ATC or tube style devices.

Please email @ atwoodgear@gmail.com if interested

[​IMG]
  4. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Im placing another order with new colors this week.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Currently 400' left. Contact me if you'd like all or part of it.

SOLD!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

WARNING: This rope is intended for advanced users and should not be used by those inexperienced with skinny ropes. Use only with figure 8 based descenders and not with ATC or tube style devices.
    [/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how badly does it handle an ATC? Is just due to lack of friction or is the sheath prone to slipping?
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

A couple points:

ATC’s are designed to be used with very different ropes in very different situations. They are designed for larger and/or twin ropes.

Because of this rope’s small diameter and the design of ATCs, the contact area between the rope and the device at any given moment is concentrated on a very small section of the rope. That and tube style devices’ propensity to develop sharp edges make a bad combo.

8 style devices have a much lager contact surface area with the rope, therefore the force and wear point at any given moment is much less concentrated and less likely to damage the rope or move the sheath.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Rapterman and Preston Gable like this.
  9. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

So your more worried about a sharp edge from a tube device cutting the sheath?

I love my SQWUREL for anything over a 100', but I still like my ATC for the ackward belly start where the SQWUREL likes to get distracted and snag on things.

Thanks for the info, I love the idea of rope that weighs way less and doesn't compromise on strength but your warning on the ATC will scare me away, at least for now.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
  10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

What I’ve described above actually applies to any rope under 9mm that gets used exclusively for rappelling.

You could get away with using an ATC I’m sure, but as the seller of this rope, I feel that it’s incumbent upon me to give users recommendations for maximizing the life of their purchase.

It’s not that my rope is any more prone to damage than any other 8mm rope, in fact, my rope has the highest sheath mass of any rope currently on the market. It’s just good practice for skinny ropes in general.

I’ve seen worn, sharp ATC’s core shot ropes before, so I’m just cautioning users .

Perhaps @Rapterman could further elaborate on why they recommended not using ATCs when they were distributing Bluewater Canyon Pro.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Rapterman likes this.
  11. Preston Gable

Preston Gable

Totally understand your point of view, you don't want some to take it out and on the first (or 100th) rappel on an old sharply worn ATC to bounce on it and coreshot it.

Skinny ropes don't take a beating nearly as well as the fatties no matter the construction. Unless it's a noob with a tibloc trying to ascend (it's dead no matter what it is)

I look forward to hopefully seeing your rope in the wild. If I ever get to rappel on one I promise to be kind to the owner and use my SQWUREL.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
  12. Rapterman

Rapterman

Because an ATC is a skinny canyoneering rope squeegee!!!!!!
    C'mon Bootboy, don't tiptoe around it...... dyneema core plus poly sheath (slipperyest +slipperyer)........

An ATC is gonna MILK that sucker
    :D
    Bootboy likes this.
  13. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Slippery indeed!

Another reason is that an ATC is not likely to provide adequate friction.

So theres 3 strikes against ATCs

1. More likely to damage the rope.
    2. Propensity to milk the sheath.
    3. Inadequate friction.

A 4th might be how droppable they are compared to a device that is retained on your rap biner.
    Rapterman likes this.
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

and...
    5. when rapping double strand, ATCs have a LOT of trouble with twisted ropes.
    6. when canyoning (flowing water canyons), ATCs are intolerant of crap on the rope. Ropes hidden in flowing water tend to get crap on them. Big problem. Don't show up to a class C canyon with only an ATC, please... unless you are Ram.

T
    Rapterman, Kevin and Bootboy like this.
  15. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Correction: Ram + handlers :)
    Yellow Dart, Rapterman and Bootboy like this.
  16. Rapterman

Rapterman

Ram?
    your turn to take a swing...
    :happy:
    Yellow Dart and Bootboy like this.
  17. Canyonero

Canyonero

Let's kick him while he's down.
    Rapterman likes this.
  18. Canyonero

Canyonero

Fixed that for you. :)

Seriously. I cannot figure out for the life of me why he loves that thing so much. I've basically completely abandoned mine for canyoneering purposes, and that's after climbing on it for > 2 decades.
    Bootboy and Rapterman like this.