Send us a suggestion!

Neoprene reaction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, May 31, 2016.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

My skin after doing Echo Canyon Friday. This photo was taken Monday night, so it was worse earlier. I seem to be allergic to neoprene. I've had reactions before, but they seem to be getting worse. :(

neoprene 001.JPG
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

I used to have similar reactions (only on foot/ankle) and so wear neos only when absolutely necessary, and use a wool liner sock. I don't mind having slightly cold feet most of the time and so tend to use neos more as a sand barrier than as insulation.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  3. Rapterman

Rapterman

:eek: OUCH!
    Kuenn likes this.
  4. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Do you also have a latex sensitivity? The use of long johns may or may not be a workable option. I think there are wetsuit made from polartec. Not sure what these are like (or cost, I think they are custom made). Like the dead toe nail-the sure sign of too much canyoneering fun!
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I'm not sure. I don't deal with latex often.

It's been permanently like that since at least 2003.
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

That sucks. Now you HAVE to use a dry suit! Just kidding. Buy it slightly bigger and wear some thermals inside.
  7. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Speaking of expensive alternatives to neoprene, I don't think that the Patagonia wetsuits are made from neoprene. I think that use some green product instead. Have not look into it for years because we, canyoneering ain't kind to $600 wetsuits.
  8. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Whoa! Does not look good at all.
  9. peakbaggers

peakbaggers "Beaten paths are for beaten men."

A few years ago we were doing the Virgin River Narrows and a friend of ours rented from ZAC's. He may have had a similar reaction, but his feet were more splotchy. Nevertheless it took well over a week for his feet to get back to normal. Some swelling went with it. He blamed it on the neo socks. We thought maybe it had something to do with whatever disinfectant ZAC's sprays on the neo socks. Best solution seems to be to wear a liner sock of some kind.