Send us a suggestion!

Neon canyon

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Kurt Krause, May 28, 2001.

1. Kurt Krause

Kurt Krause Guest

Did Neon Canyon Saturday (May 26) and it was awesome. There wasn't a sole there besides our group. The Escalate River was running around 110 CFS, so we had to use a rope as a guide for the 8 river crossings. (there and back) The hike in was hot with warmer temperatures than normal in the lower nineties. We knew it was going to be an extra hot day, so we brought extra water. We dropped in the canyon about a half- mile beyond the Golden Cathedral. There was a bolted rap station set-up there and we proceeded to the next rapping point. There were a total of 3 raps before we hit the Cathedral. The water was cold, but refreshing. A shorty was all you needed. Getting to the top of the dome, we checked the slings and added a 30' footer. The rap from dome to the water was awesome with about a 20-meter free hanging rappel to the water below. Eventhough it was a lot of hiking to get to the Cathedral, it was worth it.

On Sunday we did Fortymile Gulch/ Willow Creek and it was full of nice narrows and lots of water. The water was almost warm with lots of non- technical narrows. Another recommended hike.

Kurt in Phoenix
  2. Hello, I'm a new member, but I've been canyoneering in southern Utah for thirty years, starting in the White/Gravel canyon area. Just got back from a complete descent of Neon Canyon in the Escalante, what an awesome canyon. It has it all. Going down Kolob Creek in early August for the third time, the second time from the top. I hope the Washington County Water Conservancy District will comply. It is good to find some fellow Canyoneers, this is the best sport in the world, bar none.
  3. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"><STRONG><EM>Hey all:</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"><STRONG><EM>Dropped neon a couple weeks back and found a *ton* of webbing at the rappell into the golden cathedral. Packed it all out. Just a question: how popular is Neon? (being from Arizona not being able to get up to the southern utah canyons as often as I'd like to, I'm curious how much traffic this canyon gets - judging by the trail on the rim, I'd say it's a fair amount....)</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"><STRONG><EM>Any suggestions on propogating proper canyon ettiquette in those areas which are frequented often by neophytes to the 'sport'? While exiting Neon, I nearly got squished by a boulder which I *hope* was not intentionally rolled into the canyon by some people above. Unfortunately, due to the size of said boulder, I *doubt* it was accidentally dislodged.&nbsp; Needless to say, it nearly ruined my experience of a beautiful location.</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"><STRONG><EM>Leroy: how were the flies? when we were there, they were vicious.</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="159065015-03072001"><STRONG><EM>-Stephanie</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV align="left" class="OutlookMessageHeader" dir="ltr"><FONT face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> leroy@sisna.com [mailto:leroy@sisna.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 03, 2001 8:06 AM<BR><B>To:</B> canyons@yahoogroups.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> [canyons group] Neon Canyon <BR><BR></FONT></DIV><TT>Hello, I'm a new member, but I've been canyoneering in southern Utah <BR>for thirty years, starting in the White/Gravel canyon area.&nbsp; Just got <BR>back from a complete descent of Neon Canyon in the Escalante, what an <BR>awesome canyon.&nbsp; It has it all.&nbsp; Going down Kolob Creek in early <BR>August for the third time, the second time from the top.&nbsp; I hope the <BR>Washington County Water Conservancy District will comply.&nbsp; It is good <BR>to find some fellow Canyoneers, this is the best sport in the world, <BR>bar none.<BR><BR><BR></TT><BR><TT>Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association<BR>http://www.canyoneering.net<BR><BR>Getting too much email from the Canyons Group?<BR>Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.<BR><BR>DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email<BR>to you each day summarizing that day's messages.<BR><BR>WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you<BR>must visit the web site to view messages.<BR></TT><BR><BR><TT>Your use of Groups is subject to the <A href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"> Terms of Service</A>.</TT> <BR>
  4. Kurt Krause

Kurt Krause Guest

Stephanie, I was up there over Memorial Day weekend and we didn't see anyone except for some kayakers on the Escalante River at Neon. It was an awesome hike. I'm glad you took all that webbing down, it was getting kinda bad. Did you drop in the canyon a ways up, and have to make the 3 raps before Neon?

Glad you didn't get squished by that boulder. Oh yeah, the flies ate us up. Had welts on my head for a week, but it was worth it.

Canyon on, Kurt

--- In canyons@y..., "Martin, Stephanie Yoong B" <syoong@a...> wrote: > Hey all: > Dropped neon a couple weeks back and found a *ton* of webbing at the rappell > into the golden cathedral. Packed it all out. Just a question: how popular > is Neon? (being from Arizona not being able to get up to the southern utah > canyons as often as I'd like to, I'm curious how much traffic this canyon > gets - judging by the trail on the rim, I'd say it's a fair amount....)
    Any suggestions on propogating proper canyon ettiquette in those areas which > are frequented often by neophytes to the 'sport'? While exiting Neon, I > nearly got squished by a boulder which I *hope* was not intentionally rolled > into the canyon by some people above. Unfortunately, due to the size of said > boulder, I *doubt* it was accidentally dislodged. Needless to say, it > nearly ruined my experience of a beautiful location.
    Leroy: how were the flies? when we were there, they were vicious.
    -Stephanie > -----Original Message----- > From: leroy@s... [mailto:leroy@s...] > Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 8:06 AM > To: canyons@y... > Subject: [canyons group] Neon Canyon
    > Hello, I'm a new member, but I've been canyoneering in southern Utah > for thirty years, starting in the White/Gravel canyon area. Just got > back from a complete descent of Neon Canyon in the Escalante, what an > awesome canyon. It has it all. Going down Kolob Creek in early > August for the third time, the second time from the top. I hope the > Washington County Water Conservancy District will comply. It is good > to find some fellow Canyoneers, this is the best sport in the world, > bar none.

Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association > http://www.canyoneering.net <http://www.canyoneering.net
    > Getting too much email from the Canyons Group? > Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages.
    > Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
  5. How far above the Cathedral is Neon interesting? The one time that I was there we rapped into the canyon rapped/down climbed into the slot and there was one more rap off of a log (similar to Kelsey description). These were really fun but I did see additional slots further up stream that looked even tighter (at least from a distance) but it was to cold that day to investigate further (it had snowed most of the previous week). Can anyone tell me what the upstream section is like?

Teril
  6. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="095264616-05072001"><STRONG><EM>We missed the turn into the canyon and dropped in further upcanyon...rumor was there was a dead skunk floating in one of the swims, tho the only large readily identifiable dead thing was a scorpion the size of my hand. yuck.&nbsp; </EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="095264616-05072001"><STRONG><EM>We did make the 3 raps before the golden cathedral - others must have had to do this too, as it was bolted up.</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="095264616-05072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="095264616-05072001"><STRONG><EM>-Stephanie</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="095264616-05072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align="left" class="OutlookMessageHeader" dir="ltr"><FONT face="Tahoma" size="2">-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Kurt Krause [mailto:kdesign@home.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, July 03, 2001 8:06 PM<BR><B>To:</B> canyons@yahoogroups.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [canyons group] Neon Canyon<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><TT>Stephanie,<BR>I was up there over Memorial Day weekend and we didn't see anyone <BR>except for some kayakers on the Escalante River at Neon. It was an <BR>awesome hike. I'm glad you took all that webbing down, it was getting <BR>kinda bad. Did you drop in the canyon a ways up, and have to make the 3 <BR>raps before Neon? <BR><BR>Glad you didn't get squished by that boulder. Oh yeah, the flies ate us <BR>up. Had welts on my head for a week, but it was worth it.<BR><BR>Canyon on,<BR>Kurt<BR><BR><BR><BR>--- In canyons@y..., "Martin, Stephanie Yoong B" <syoong@a...> wrote:<BR>> Hey all:<BR>> Dropped neon a couple weeks back and found a *ton* of webbing at the rappell<BR>> into the golden cathedral. Packed it all out. Just a question: how popular<BR>> is Neon? (being from Arizona not being able to get up to the southern utah<BR>> canyons as often as I'd like to, I'm curious how much traffic this canyon<BR>> gets - judging by the trail on the rim, I'd say it's a fair amount....)<BR>>&nbsp; <BR>> Any suggestions on propogating proper canyon ettiquette in those areas which<BR>> are frequented often by neophytes to the 'sport'? While exiting Neon, I<BR>> nearly got squished by a boulder which I *hope* was not intentionally rolled<BR>> into the canyon by some people above. Unfortunately, due to the size of said<BR>> boulder, I *doubt* it was accidentally dislodged.&nbsp; Needless to say, it<BR>> nearly ruined my experience of a beautiful location.<BR>>&nbsp; <BR>> Leroy: how were the flies? when we were there, they were vicious.<BR>>&nbsp; <BR>> -Stephanie<BR>> -----Original Message-----<BR>> From: leroy@s... [mailto:leroy@s...]<BR>> Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 8:06 AM<BR>> To: canyons@y...<BR>> Subject: [canyons group] Neon Canyon <BR>> <BR>> <BR>> Hello, I'm a new member, but I've been canyoneering in southern Utah <BR>> for thirty years, starting in the White/Gravel canyon area.&nbsp; Just got <BR>> back from a complete descent of Neon Canyon in the Escalante, what an <BR>> awesome canyon.&nbsp; It has it all.&nbsp; Going down Kolob Creek in early <BR>> August for the third time, the second time from the top.&nbsp; I hope the <BR>> Washington County Water Conservancy District will comply.&nbsp; It is good <BR>> to find some fellow Canyoneers, this is the best sport in the world, <BR>> bar none.<BR>> <BR>> <BR>> <BR>> Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association<BR>> http://www.canyoneering.net <http://www.canyoneering.net> <BR>> <BR>> Getting too much email from the Canyons Group?<BR>> Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.<BR>> <BR>> DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email<BR>> to you each day summarizing that day's messages.<BR>> <BR>> WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you<BR>> must visit the web site to view messages.<BR>> <BR>> <BR>> Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service<BR>> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .<BR><BR><BR></TT><BR><TT>Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association<BR>http://www.canyoneering.net<BR><BR>Getting too much email from the Canyons Group?<BR>Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.<BR><BR>DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email<BR>to you each day summarizing that day's messages.<BR><BR>WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you<BR>must visit the web site to view messages.<BR></TT><BR><BR><TT>Your use of Groups is subject to the <A href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"> Terms of Service</A>.</TT> <BR>
  7. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"><STRONG><EM>Teril:</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"><STRONG><EM>Plenty of tight swimmy slots above the area I *suspect* kelsey dropped in.&nbsp; We wound up missing that entrance point and dropped in further upcanyon with more slots still to be viewed upcanyon from where we dropped in.&nbsp; Looks like others have entered in the same area we did, tho traffic in the canyon bottom was considerably ligher than that downstream.</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"><STRONG><EM>Water was very cold. (then again, we neglected the wetsuits for this hike)&nbsp; </EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"><STRONG><EM>-Stephanie</EM></STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color="#800080" size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align="left" class="OutlookMessageHeader" dir="ltr"><FONT face="Tahoma"><FONT size="2">-----Original Message-----</FONT><FONT size="2"><SPAN class="738555416-05072001"><FONT color="#800080" face="Times New Roman"><STRONG><EM>&nbsp;</EM></STRONG><FONT color="#000000" face="Tahoma"> </FONT><STRONG><EM>&nbsp;</EM></STRONG></FONT></SPAN><BR><STRONG>From:</STRONG></FONT><FONT size="2"> terilmort@aol.com [mailto:terilmort@aol.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 04, 2001 8:43 AM<BR><B>To:</B> canyons@yahoogroups.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [canyons group] Neon Canyon<BR><BR></FONT></FONT></DIV><TT>How far above the Cathedral is Neon interesting?&nbsp; The one time that I was <BR>there we rapped into the canyon rapped/down climbed into the slot and there <BR>was one more rap off of a log (similar to Kelsey description).&nbsp; These were <BR>really fun but I did see additional slots further up stream that looked even <BR>tighter (at least from a distance) but it was to cold that day to investigate <BR>further (it had snowed most of the previous week).&nbsp; Can anyone tell me what <BR>the upstream section is like?<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Teril<BR></TT><BR><TT>Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association<BR>http://www.canyoneering.net<BR><BR>Getting too much email from the Canyons Group?<BR>Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.<BR><BR>DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email<BR>to you each day summarizing that day's messages.<BR><BR>WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you<BR>must visit the web site to view messages.<BR></TT><BR><BR><TT>Your use of Groups is subject to the <A href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"> Terms of Service</A>.</TT> <BR>
  8. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Dear Teril:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Neon is awesome the whole way thru.&nbsp; Really awesome.&nbsp; Do the whole thing.&nbsp; It's all bolted up, like going down a canyon in Zion's, for the most part.&nbsp; Overall, I like it better than any canyon in Zion's except for Kolob&nbsp;Creek, my favorite.&nbsp;&nbsp;Except this canyon, of course is not in Zion's, though to me it has more of a Zion feel to it than an Escalante feel, perhaps because of the tech nature of it--ie, clip & go.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thought at the time it would have been more of a canyon which would require natural anchoring.&nbsp; Some of the drops, such as the Golden Cathedral drop, and the big drop above it still require use of natural anchors. The narrows are very tight for five miles, much of it requires taking off your pack to squeeze thru.&nbsp; And they really do last about five miles--or seem to last that long, at least several hours, which made the&nbsp;mid canyon hike quite strenuous for me.&nbsp; The very upper section has totally grand vistas and formations not to be missed.&nbsp;&nbsp;And the overall impression is the best technical canyon in the Escalante area by far--at least in my experience.&nbsp; It is not quite as pretty as Death Hollow, but has&nbsp;more required manuvers and drops, and the narrow sections are&nbsp; much longer and tighter.&nbsp; The Golden Cathedral is a wonderful rappel, but there are many other great sections of Neon,&nbsp;which would be missed by a low-canyon approach.&nbsp; Found a wetsuit farmer john 7mm helpful, especially if you go in high water.&nbsp; Two 50 meter ropes are needed, Steve Allen told me pre-hike that I could encounter potholes requiring bathooks, but they never emerged for us.&nbsp; This canyon is destined to be a classic and often hiked feature of the Escalante area for tech canyoneers. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Arial" size="2">Happy Hiking, LeRoy</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid;"> <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial;">----- Original Message ----- </DIV> <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4;FONT: 10pt arial;"><B>From:</B> <A href="/group/canyons/post?postID=TirzzL7_I8juuH-5_p1XGrMZrVlezjPrC6tCyDTGJ7jCjhQmZC_pni4t_6Lp2_JQxBaVHrBOJ0CT61s" title="terilmort@aol.com">terilmort@aol.com</A> </DIV> <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial;"><B>To:</B> <A href="/group/canyons/post?postID=WrxXrQmz0ouYzH6iO3TpERwJSvbWCrfnBtEpDwTqYqtfxUr-Op-2AYS1Od54-5dPkSYGUeMa60xIbR1CVPg" title="canyons@yahoogroups.com">canyons@yahoogroups.com</A> </DIV> <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial;"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 04, 2001 9:42 AM</DIV> <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial;"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [canyons group] Neon Canyon</DIV> <DIV><BR></DIV><TT>How far above the Cathedral is Neon interesting?&nbsp; The one time that I was <BR>there we rapped into the canyon rapped/down climbed into the slot and there <BR>was one more rap off of a log (similar to Kelsey description).&nbsp; These were <BR>really fun but I did see additional slots further up stream that looked even <BR>tighter (at least from a distance) but it was to cold that day to investigate <BR>further (it had snowed most of the previous week).&nbsp; Can anyone tell me what <BR>the upstream section is like?<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Teril<BR></TT><BR><TT>Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association<BR>http://www.canyoneering.net<BR><BR>Getting too much email from the Canyons Group?<BR>Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.<BR><BR>DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email<BR>to you each day summarizing that day's messages.<BR><BR>WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you<BR>must visit the web site to view messages.<BR></TT><BR><BR><TT>Your use of Groups is subject to the <A href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"> Terms of Service</A>.</TT> <BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
  9. Gary

Gary Guest

I'm planning on descending Neon Canyon sometime next week and would appreciate any beta from anyone who has been down it this spring. I'm mostly interested in the condition of the keeper pothole. Thanks.
  10. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Gary" <kokopelli19@e...> wrote: > I'm planning on descending Neon Canyon sometime next week and would > appreciate any beta from anyone who has been down it this spring. I'm > mostly interested in the condition of the keeper pothole. Thanks.

I will be in there on Thursday. Reports from last week said it was full. It rained there 2 days ago. You probably won't even know it is there. Ram
  11. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Full = pretty long swims getting there, especially if you drop in up- canyon a bit. Might a wanna wear that rubber suit...

Its going to be a popular spot this weekend.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote: > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Gary" <kokopelli19@e...> wrote:
    I'm planning on descending Neon Canyon sometime next week and would
    appreciate any beta from anyone who has been down it this spring. I'm
    mostly interested in the condition of the keeper pothole. Thanks.
    I will be in there on Thursday. Reports from last week said it was > full. It rained there 2 days ago. You probably won't even know it is > there. > Ram
  12. Stevee B

Stevee B Guest

5/14 ago we counted 25+ (long) swims. Keeper #1 (with the bolt bypass left): We were able to stand on the lip of the pothole with water up to our knees.

Keeper #2 (w/ the multi-arches preceding): Where is it? Couldn't even see the lip underwater. EZ swim-out to mud beach.

Water levels seemed to be dropping at a rate of about 12"-18" week (but I think they drop more at first and then level off and drop at a lower rate as time passes). You can probably anticipate the first keeper problem to be present but bypassable by the standard route on the left. The second keeper may just barely be starting to show itself, but likely won't challenge.

If it did indeed rain two days ago, I wouldn't worry at all. S

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagoni@x> wrote: > Full = pretty long swims getting there, especially if you drop in up- > canyon a bit. Might a wanna wear that rubber suit...
    Its going to be a popular spot this weekend.
    Tom
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Gary" <kokopelli19@e...> wrote:
    > I'm planning on descending Neon Canyon sometime next week and would
    > appreciate any beta from anyone who has been down it this spring. > I'm
    > mostly interested in the condition of the keeper pothole. Thanks.

I will be in there on Thursday. Reports from last week said it was
    full. It rained there 2 days ago. You probably won't even know it is
    there.
    Ram
  13. CodyB25

CodyB25 Guest

My friends and I are planning on hitting Neon Canyon next month. I've read some of the TRs on the websites but was wondering if anyone had any recent beta for us. Like what things to watch for or tricky areas. Any keeper holes right now? It will be our first time there so we're trying to get as much info as possible.
  14. holyoakm

holyoakm Guest

I wanted to do Neon Canyon this weekend. When I called the visitor center acouple days ago they said it was fine. Today, they said the river was too high to cross to get into the canyon. Has anyone been there the past few days? Also, is wet suits required?
  15. RAM

RAM Guest

Welcome to the group

I know of other groups who are headed down and you may get some info in the next day from a friend down there now. In the past, the river has been high enough to be challenging and then it would be a no go during certain floods, but mostly is is doable. The area around Fence tends to run 48 hours after the town of Escalante proper and we have found lowest water in the AM. The direct route to Neon would only have one crossing, the Fence way a few. One can go down and see for one's self. They can be cautious at the desk. Be careful. The river on the high side six June's ago. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0506chop/index.htm

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "holyoakm" <holyoakm@...> wrote:
    I wanted to do Neon Canyon this weekend. When I called the visitor center acouple days ago they said it was fine. Today, they said the river was too high to cross to get into the canyon. Has anyone been there the past few days? Also, is wet suits required? >
  16. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Just back from Neon/Choprock area.

Near the river, the green flies are swarming and totally vicious. I cannot recommend camping anywhere near the river, in fact, we planned to stop at Fence camp to pump water and could not.

Up above, the Cedar Gnats are similarly swarming and biting. Very difficult. We found a few places with enough wind to keep them off us, but in general with a 20 knot wind we were being devoured.

The river is up about a foot from two weeks ago. We found a crossing just upstream from Fence Canyon where we just barely made it across without being swept off our feet. So, waist deep and flowing strong.

Doing the direct line (bee line) to the mouth of Neon, you can walk upstream a bit and there is a crossing there which is among the shallowest. At this point, though, it still might sweep you off your feet, so I would recommend drybagging your gear. The river is fairly warm at this point.

We "pack-rafted" from Choprock down to Neon, and it was great fun. The river is deep enough to only bounce painfully off the bottom once in a while. The temperature is good, meaning in a 4/3 wetsuit, we were neither too cold nor too hot while floating the river. Careful planning is advised so that minimal time is spent doing a changeover in the green fly zone or in the cedar gnat zone.

Choprock was divine, of course.

Did Neon about two weeks ago. Water levels are down. Keeper is filled with enough sand to not be much of a keeper. I recommend against hiking down and camping, due to the flies and gnat. Camping at or near the trailhead is likely to be hostile too. I would only go down there with the idea that you might have to float/swim the river crossing, have your stuff fully drybagged and your people ready for this interesting style of passage.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "holyoakm" <holyoakm@...> wrote:
    I wanted to do Neon Canyon this weekend. When I called the visitor center acouple days ago they said it was fine. Today, they said the river was too high to cross to get into the canyon. Has anyone been there the past few days? Also, is wet suits required? >
  17. Tom,

Thank you very much for the update!

Now, for somebody visiting Neon/Choprock for the first time, what would be your recommendation then, car camp somewhere further away with less bugs and day hike? I am not really familiar with the area enough to know camping options. Heading out tomorrow.

TomJones wrote:

> Just back from Neon/Choprock area.
    Near the river, the green flies are swarming and totally vicious. I cannot recommend camping anywhere near the river, in fact, we planned to stop at Fence camp to pump water and could not.
    Up above, the Cedar Gnats are similarly swarming and biting. Very difficult. We found a few places with enough wind to keep them off us, but in general with a 20 knot wind we were being devoured.
    The river is up about a foot from two weeks ago. We found a crossing just upstream from Fence Canyon where we just barely made it across without being swept off our feet. So, waist deep and flowing strong.
    Doing the direct line (bee line) to the mouth of Neon, you can walk upstream a bit and there is a crossing there which is among the shallowest. At this point, though, it still might sweep you off your feet, so I would recommend drybagging your gear. The river is fairly warm at this point.
    We "pack-rafted" from Choprock down to Neon, and it was great fun. The river is deep enough to only bounce painfully off the bottom once in a while. The temperature is good, meaning in a 4/3 wetsuit, we were neither too cold nor too hot while floating the river. Careful planning is advised so that minimal time is spent doing a changeover in the green fly zone or in the cedar gnat zone.
    Choprock was divine, of course.
    Did Neon about two weeks ago. Water levels are down. Keeper is filled with enough sand to not be much of a keeper. I recommend against hiking down and camping, due to the flies and gnat. Camping at or near the trailhead is likely to be hostile too. I would only go down there with the idea that you might have to float/swim the river crossing, have your stuff fully drybagged and your people ready for this interesting style of passage.
    Tom

--

Anton Solovyev
  18. TomJones

TomJones Guest

A dayhike of Neon short route from the trailhead is practical, the more-fun entrance also good. Past that it is hard because that would be a lot of hiking in the heat.

I think the gnats go away at night, but... during the day they were very difficult. It would be good to sleep at the trailhead (in a fully sealed tent) and hit the trail at first light, which is pretty early.

Or wait for better conditions.

Between the More Fun entrance and the Sport route is a keeper pothole. Many people go around, but that is no fun! It is not a difficult one to get out of, given a desire to do so and one potshot and some tiblocs. It is just a little tall for craning people up from the bottom, without the potshot rope to hold onto (I ended up putting tiblocs on the rope to keep the force closer to the rock).

I think I would bring some rubber, but not a full wetsuit. One of the few cases where a shortee is appropriate.

Good luck. We had phenomenal light in the Cathedral at 2 pm (10 days ago). Bring a pump to fill your water bottles at the Cathedral for the hike out.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Anton Solovyev <anton@...> wrote:
    Tom,
    Thank you very much for the update!
    Now, for somebody visiting Neon/Choprock for the first time, what would be your > recommendation then, car camp somewhere further away with less bugs and day > hike? I am not really familiar with the area enough to know camping options. > Heading out tomorrow.
  19. j b

j b Guest

If you've never been around those gnats when they're really dense, don't discount Tom's warning. They can be pretty miserable. I'd take mosquitoes any day over the gnats. Jeff

________________________________ From: TomJones ratagonia@gmail.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Thu, June 9, 2011 7:39:55 AM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Neon Canyon

I think the gnats go away at night, but... during the day they were very difficult. It would be good to sleep at the trailhead (in a fully sealed tent) and hit the trail at first light, which is pretty early.
  20. TomJones

TomJones Guest

We had some non-deet spray repellant that worked pretty well - for about 15 minutes, but they still swarmed around your face and got sucked in... cough cough gag!

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, j b <pofr2004@...> wrote:
    If you've never been around those gnats when they're really dense, don't > discount Tom's warning. They can be pretty miserable. I'd take mosquitoes any > day over the gnats. > Jeff

> ________________________________ > From: TomJones <ratagonia@...
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Sent: Thu, June 9, 2011 7:39:55 AM > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Neon Canyon
    I think the gnats go away at night, but... during the day they were very > difficult. It would be good to sleep at the trailhead (in a fully sealed tent) > and hit the trail at first light, which is pretty early.
    >