Send us a suggestion!

Neon Canyon - Finally

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MTN_DUDE, Nov 15, 2014.

1. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

Originally posted on my blog.

Here is the wonderful canyon I was finally able to get a group together and scramble through: the amazing Neon Canyon of the Escalante.

When I first started canyoneering a picture was shown to me of someone rappelling through these amazing holes in the sandstone. I quickly learned what canyon it was and I was undoubtable hooked.

That photo stuck with me through my canyoneering experience. Everytime I talked about canyoneer with other students, when tourists asked about what other canyoners there are, and when I searched through forums and guide books, Neon Canyon jumped out!

Fast forward to a few years when I assisted with a backpacking course at SUU. We backpacked into the bottom of Golden Cathedral and I just had to sit in awe and wonder about the canyon above. That was in 2013.
    [​IMG]
    Fall Break 2014, I had been planning a trip with my buddy Jesse to finally do the canyon we have been longing to do. Then I get a message from the backpacking instructor’s wife, who has been wanting to do the canyon longer than I have. She asked me what I was doing for Fall Break.
    “I have an adventure I’ve been planning for awhile.” I respond.
    “Shoot, well Jake, Austin and I were planning on doing Neon Canyon and we wanted to invite you along.”
    “OF COURSE!” Obviously I said yes. “Funny thing is, that’s the adventure I was planning.”

Now we have our rockstar team (we’ve been called the Justice League of the Outdoors by some): Jake, Christina, Austin, Jesse, Chris, Chelsea and myself.

We have a date to be out there.

It was ON!

We camped down the road from the Egypt Trailhead the Sunday night of Fall Break. The Egypt, well the entire Hole In The Rock Road, is the best to camp at.
    [​IMG]
    The next morning we were off early in the morning. Here is the video for the trip:
    Kuenn, Ram and bhalvers2002 like this.
  2. Ram

Ram

Lovely lighting in the Cathedral. When exactly was your fall break and what time of day were you there? That is a lot of water in there. The upper keeper was at the 2:42 minute point I believe and the big lower keeper was not to be seen, buried under mucho water,. Thanks for sharing.
    R
    MTN_DUDE likes this.
  3. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

We didn't run into any problems with the keepers, like you said a lot of water. The dates we were there was Oct. 19-21. I think we hit the cathedral at 2 pm.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Thirsty for canyon...

Awesome reflections on the golden cathedral rap! I've been in there twice, once with and once without those awesome reflections. It's pretty magical when its out in full form.
    MTN_DUDE likes this.
  5. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

Amazing video.

My family is visiting and we huddled around the computer watching this....dreaming of doing it all together!

This canyon is number 1 on my list to do and can't wait for it. Awesome video of the last rap. Beautiful lighting and music!!!
    MTN_DUDE likes this.
  6. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

I'd love to say there was something I did to hit it at the right time of day, but it was more we just showed up!