Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Neon Canyon - Escalante, UT 8-30-2014

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Jeff Guest, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Jeff Guest

Jeff Guest

Be sure to watch in 1080P!

Neon Canyon is a very unique canyon with a beautiful free-hanging rappel at the end into the Golden Cathedral. It has been on my list to do for a very long time and I finally made it down to Escalante to go through this canyon. The canyon was tip-top full of water so there was LOTS of swimming and the keeper pothole was full so we could just swim right over the top. If you ever get a change to do Neon Canyon be sure to bring a wetsuit so you be comfortable and enjoy the beauty that is has to offer, and definitely bring a good water filter or iodine tablets to filter some water. You will need it for the hike back to your vehicle!

We Backpacked in and camped near the mouth of the canyon. It was nice to do it that way, but that also meant we had to carry more gear to stay overnight. That added a lot of weight to our backpacks.

I shot this video with my GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition camera at 1080p at 30fps and edited with iMovie. I had my GoPro mounted to my GoScope Extreme which is a telescoping pole and it works great with the J-Hook mount! Get your GoScope at http://go-scope.com.
    Jenny, Ram and Mountaineer like this.
  2. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

wow, high water !
  3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Awesome job! Feels like a movie, professional view points.

I need to get back there, I missed the "full meal deal" last time.
  4. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

Ah... this is much better than watching about the approach hike :D haha! Nice Job Jeff.
    Jeff Guest likes this.
  5. Ram

Ram

Neon can vary so much in its wetness. For a few days after a "flow through" flood, there will be more water than in Kaleidoscope. Often 300+ foot swims, up the canyon a bit. While Kaleidoscope is almost always wet and holds its wetness, with much of the canyon bottom being bedrock, Neon carries more sand through it and after some time, the water sinks into the sand and it will be drier than its neighbor many more days than not.
  6. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

yeah, when I did Neon, the water was much lower
  7. canyonexplorer

canyonexplorer

Jeff you make the best videos. Always enjoy watching them. Thanks for putting them together and sharing.
    Jeff Guest likes this.
  8. Jeff Guest

Jeff Guest

Thanks Canyonexplorer! It's nice to hear that people appreciate my videos :)
  9. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Where's Nick?
  10. Jeff Guest

Jeff Guest

John, Nick doesn't get out much anymore. He and his wife just had a baby a few months ago so that takes even more time out of his canyon time. I haven't really seen him in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Congrat's to Nick and his wife having a baby recently. I remembered that he really enjoyed getting out and doing some canyons back in the day.
  12. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

Love the video! Neon is dream canyon of mine! Gets me excited, thanks for posting!