Send us a suggestion!

Neon Canyon 5/7 and 5/11

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Ericgodfrey, May 17, 2010.

1. Ericgodfrey

Ericgodfrey Guest

So the pictures in this TR are a little different than usual. On May 6th we hiked into Fence Canyon and did Neon on the 7th. We hiked quite a ways past where most of the guidebooks have you drop in but the whole canyon is so good you can kind of build your own adventure depending on how long of a day you are looking for. The canyon was great. Lots of water, jumps, slides, potholes, etc... The keeper's lip was still about 1 1/2 feet under water so it has yet to go into full keeper mode this spring.

After Neon we did Choprock and some other canyons around Escalante. On the 10th we met up with Ram who had the idea to do upper Neon from the Moody Creek trailhead. We didn't know of an exit but had some ideas of stuff that might work so we dropped in hoping we could get out. The upper canyon had a beautiful riparian section with an awesome slide, a few great slot sections, and swims. We were able to make it to our footprints from 4 days before which is where we turned around and found a sketchy, but reasonable escape from the canyon. As a result, I was able to do the entire canyon just in two day trips rather than one.

For the blog post I decided to put the photos in order, first from the upper section on the 11th, then the lower section down to the river on the 7th so the photos are in order as if we had done a trip from the top all the way down. Photos are on my blog:

http://utoutdoors.blogspot.com/2010/05/neon-canyon.html

Look for more TR's soon. I spent ten days down there and finally bought a waterproof point and shoot so I actually have pictures from all of them. :)