Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Neon 4/13/13

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by John Diener, Apr 18, 2013.

1. John Diener

John Diener

The work week had been stressful, so when Matt put forward the idea of a Neon trip on Saturday, it sounded like a great way to have some relaxed fun. An awesome group of folks signed on, and off we went. We dropped in what a friend calls the "forkchop" entrance, the first decent sized side-arm coming in from the north, which has a little fun in and of itself. We suited up in the main canyon once we spied a pool ahead, but it turned out the water never got much more than waist deep in the canyon - maybe on the drier side of average for Neon? Had only been there once before, and that was quite a few years ago, so I don't have much to reference. The upper keeper was almost dry, and the lower's sand floor was up enough that escape was not an issue at all. As expected, the golden cathedral was spectacular. We fiddlesticked most drops to prevent any additional rope grooving. Then, the long walk back up the hill into a strong wind and blowing sand.
    P1000111.JPG
    P1000118.JPG
    P1000120.JPG
    P1000123.JPG
    "forkchop"
    P1000125.JPG
    P1000133.JPG
    P1000134.JPG
    P1000138.JPG
    lower keeper, not in keeper mode
    P1000141.JPG
    P1000150.JPG
    P1000170.JPG
    P1000176.JPG

-john

Featured Image for the Homepage
    slide.
    Jenny, ratagonia, Marlowe and 14 others like this.
  2. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

Thanks for the TR! I am aching to do this canyon! Looks beautiful! :twothumbs:
  3. MrAdam

MrAdam

Is memorial day weekend to late to do Neon and Choprock? I assume it will be hotter, but we are from AZ and are used to the heat!
  4. John Diener

John Diener

MrAdam, I don't think Memorial Day is too late. If the temps are hot, just time your days so that the out-of-canyon hard work happens early or late.
    -john
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Cedar Gnats and Green Flies start making life nearly impossible around June 1. Deet does not really work, more like BBQ sauce for them.

But it can be good. Just, I think you will want a real tent if camping down at Fence. And early starts. Of course, NOW it feels like March...

Tom
    WaaWooAZ, MrAdam and John Diener like this.
  6. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen

I thought I'd read that the approach is from the north rim. Your photos appear that you did the approach from the south rim.

MrAdam, come say hi if you're down there that weekend. Our group will be down in the area, maybe at Fence then, maybe down further.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Deceptive. All that looks familiar from the standard north side hike. AND he went in at the Fork Chop, which is toward Choprock, to the north.

Tom
  8. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen

Thanks Tom! The pics did look deceptive. Back tracking or zig zagging up a hill in that first one threw me off. I've not done the technical part, but will be soon.
  9. John Diener

John Diener

As Tom said. A few of the pics were looking down Neon instead of up, confusing things. Have a great trip!
    -john
  10. Ziff

Ziff

John, glad you got a new camera!
  11. Absolute Gravity

Absolute Gravity

We were there the same day! Were you the ones we were shouting with from the rim?
  12. John Diener

John Diener

Ziff, a new camera that is always tethered to me in the canyons! AG (Tony?) - yes, that must have been us - we were in the side slot entry when you came by on the rim? The distance was just a little too far to recognize people. Looked like your group had a great run in Escalante - nice job!
    -john
  13. Absolute Gravity

Absolute Gravity

Yep, that was us. Anyone from your group lose a tent at Egypt? We came home with an extra one that for some reason got stuffed into one of our tents.

-Tony
  14. John Diener

John Diener

Tony, not our stuff. We were based back at the start of the Egypt road. Thanks for the heads up, though.
    -john