Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Answered Neo and Wool Socks for Canyoneers (5.10)

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

from one of my customers -

Hi,
    I'm looking at the neoprene socks you carry, the Argos and Neosport. My question is: Do you need to carry 2 pairs of shoes, one larger to fit over the neoprene socks and one smaller for when you change to regular socks? Or can you actually use these for a full day of hiking and wading? I also assume that neither can be used without shoes. Any other pointers to choose the socks would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Clint

Hi Clint

I carry one pair of shoes, which are 1/2 size larger than my street size. I wear two pairs of wool socks for normal hiking, and pull a 2mm neo sock on over that for most wet canyons. For cold wet canyons, I wear the 5mm Argos socks with a single pair of wool socks underneath.

Basically, I buy the shoe that is long enough to not bang my toes, then fill up the space with wool. When the double wool gets wet, it tends to get less bulky, and thus sometimes I add the 2mm neo for bulk rather than for warmth.

The socks are socks, not really intended to be used in canyons without shoes.

Tom

(This is the system I have worked out that works for me; I know other people have worked out other systems.)
    Ram likes this.
  2. Ram

Ram

Years of neo sock wear can be bad for feet. Toe nail fungus is often the result. I used to be able to wear them all day long, day after day. No more. Wearing a sock underneath is quite helpful. Due to some blood clotting in my legs, it was recommended that I wear compression socks. You know those big tall black nylon things, fat older men wear at the beach? When did it come to this?!?! To my surprise, they have made an excellent base layer sock for all outdoor foot combos. Inside the neo, it adds a tight knit barrier from the sock. No more of the occasional rubbing that was an issue before. Makes taking all middle and top layer socks VERY easy to take on and off, as they are a pretty slick surface. It is now my standard bottom layer in boots, in the alpine environ too. No more hot spots on the feet. I was surprised, but pleased.

I like Tom, clothe my feet with as many socks as needed, to fill the shoe nicely. In drier canyons, a cotton layer is quite comfy too.
    SCard and ratagonia like this.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

So ram, does that mean you're getting fat, old, and hanging out at the beach more often?

Kidding aside, compression socks like you're talking about seem like a great idea. I'm going to try that under my neo socks on my next trip.
    Ram likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

It is good to have a tightly woven sock next to the skin, to keep the sand away. I'm using Darn Tough brand woolies for that purpose, and Costco wool socks for their bulk. Those tight compression socks could also serve that function.

Tom
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

FoxRiver makes a nice synthetic wool compression sock that I've had good luck with of late. Tight enough weave to keep sand out, quick dry, warm and comfy; although the water here is not frigid like in the canyons out there.

The 2014 NSS convention is in Huntsville, Alabama this week and I led a wet cave trip on Monday - layering the foxrivers with the canyoneers - best foot gear combo for wet caving I've used in many-a-year. Several in the group were quite interested in the leaders foot gear. :woot: Even had a couple from Idaho and a man from SLC, on the trip. They were familiar with 5.10s but not the Canyoneer.
  6. SCard

SCard

I have yet to find the sock that keeps the sand away from my feet. Which woolies are you using? Darn Tough and Fox River both seem to have lovely socks but I need names of the specific socks, people! :D
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Watch Ross & TJ Maxx also. Was in Ross a few weeks ago and they had 3 packs of 100% Merino Wools for $6-8/3pack. I bought every package they had. :D
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes, but... the question was where to get the fine-woven kind that do a good job of keeping the sand out, which is somewhat harder to find than just heavy woven wool socks.

T
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Ya. They were all Columbia and name brand stuff. I'm very happy with them for $2/pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Kuenn

Kuenn

Sorry, SCard. I've tried to find the specific name of the FoxRiver sock on their website, but to no avail. Soooo, they're blue...that's the best I have at the moment. Story of my life, about the time I'm sold on something, it's obsolete or past shelf-life.