Send us a suggestion!

Need help choosing a wetsuit

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by nelsonccc, May 24, 2005.

1. nelsonccc

nelsonccc Guest

After having done several Zion canyons, I've decided that I need to purchase a wetsuit, probably within the next couple of days. I'm hoping someone can help me to decide wether to get a full suit or a farmer john/jacket combo or maybe something else entirely and what kind of thickness I need 3/2 or 4/3 or maybe even thicker. Any advice is appreciated.
  2. What type of canyons are you anticipating your use will be for 80% of the time? Looking for a Pine Creek type experience or Imlay?

3/2 full is a good place to start. 3mm John and Jacket offers lots of combo options plus is warm when worn together. 6mm on the body w/3mm on arms and legs. (John jacket combo can be bulky and heavy to carry if it's more than you need)

I own a 3mm vest w/attached hood that really pumps up the warmth of any suit I wear it under. It packs small, doesn't weigh much and turns my 3/2 full into a really warm unit when put together. Not necessarily warm enough for brutal cold but warm enough for all but the long, wet and really cold canyons.

Are you a full figured fella with a little insulation built in or are you 130# soaking wet and freeze while taking out the trash?

Fit of the suit is very important. A suit that leaks might make even 7mm a form of pseudo protection.

Hope any of that helped, Neil

nelsonccc nelsonccc@yahoo.com> wrote: After having done several Zion canyons, I've decided that I need to purchase a wetsuit, probably within the next couple of days. I'm hoping someone can help me to decide wether to get a full suit or a farmer john/jacket combo or maybe something else entirely and what kind of thickness I need 3/2 or 4/3 or maybe even thicker. Any advice is appreciated.

Mail Mobile Take Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
  3. nelsonccc

nelsonccc Guest

I'm a big guy, 220# and tend to run warm. I'm looking for something that will cover the shorter canyons in the spring and maybe do double duty in Kolob or Imlay this summer. I'm leaning towards a 3/2 full suit with a vest or jacket over it for the longer canyons. Thank for your response.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, neil wilkinson <mtngoat59102@y...> wrote: > What type of canyons are you anticipating your use will be for 80% of the time? Looking for a Pine Creek type experience or Imlay?
    3/2 full is a good place to start. 3mm John and Jacket offers lots of combo options plus is warm when worn together. 6mm on the body w/3mm on arms and legs. (John jacket combo can be bulky and heavy to carry if it's more than you need)
    I own a 3mm vest w/attached hood that really pumps up the warmth of any suit I wear it under. It packs small, doesn't weigh much and turns my 3/2 full into a really warm unit when put together. Not necessarily warm enough for brutal cold but warm enough for all but the long, wet and really cold canyons.
    Are you a full figured fella with a little insulation built in or are you 130# soaking wet and freeze while taking out the trash?
    Fit of the suit is very important. A suit that leaks might make even 7mm a form of pseudo protection.
    Hope any of that helped, > Neil
    nelsonccc <nelsonccc@y...> wrote: > After having done several Zion canyons, I've decided that I need to > purchase a wetsuit, probably within the next couple of days. I'm > hoping someone can help me to decide wether to get a full suit or a > farmer john/jacket combo or maybe something else entirely and what > kind of thickness I need 3/2 or 4/3 or maybe even thicker. Any advice > is appreciated.

> > Mail Mobile > Take Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
  4. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Where'd you get that vest with hood thing, Neil. That sounds like a good add-on to my usual thin, cheap suits.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "nelsonccc" <nelsonccc@y...> wrote: > I'm a big guy, 220# and tend to run warm. I'm looking for something > that will cover the shorter canyons in the spring and maybe do > double duty in Kolob or Imlay this summer. I'm leaning towards a 3/2 > full suit with a vest or jacket over it for the longer canyons. > Thank for your response.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, neil wilkinson <mtngoat59102@y...
    wrote:
    What type of canyons are you anticipating your use will be for 80% > of the time? Looking for a Pine Creek type experience or Imlay?

3/2 full is a good place to start. 3mm John and Jacket offers > lots of combo options plus is warm when worn together. 6mm on the > body w/3mm on arms and legs. (John jacket combo can be bulky and > heavy to carry if it's more than you need)

I own a 3mm vest w/attached hood that really pumps up the warmth > of any suit I wear it under. It packs small, doesn't weigh much and > turns my 3/2 full into a really warm unit when put together. Not > necessarily warm enough for brutal cold but warm enough for all but > the long, wet and really cold canyons.

Are you a full figured fella with a little insulation built in or > are you 130# soaking wet and freeze while taking out the trash?

Fit of the suit is very important. A suit that leaks might make > even 7mm a form of pseudo protection.

Hope any of that helped,
    Neil

nelsonccc <nelsonccc@y...> wrote:
    After having done several Zion canyons, I've decided that I need > to
    purchase a wetsuit, probably within the next couple of days. I'm
    hoping someone can help me to decide wether to get a full suit or > a
    farmer john/jacket combo or maybe something else entirely and what
    kind of thickness I need 3/2 or 4/3 or maybe even thicker. Any > advice
    is appreciated.

Mail Mobile
    Take Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
  5. Found mine @ Sport Chalet. They are not cheap, but since it's your base layer they take no abuse and mine has lasted into it's 3rd season now and has plenty of life left.

http://www.bodyglove.com/products/product_buy.php?uselist=showcase&selected_prod=http%3A%2F%2Fbodyglove.mwrc.net%2Fxml%2Fen%2Fproduct.xml%3Fproduct_id%3D286%26include_offline_products%3Dyes%26include_offline_retailers%3Dyes

Hope this link works, you may have to paste it into your browser. The item is the Body Glove Excursion 3mm Hooded Vest. Has smooth skin lining and all the bells and whistles, warm and comfortable. Your local dive shop would consider this a base layer item if they don't know what you are talking about right off the bat.

Neil

Tom Jones ratagoni@xmission.com> wrote: Where'd you get that vest with hood thing, Neil. That sounds like a good add-on to my usual thin, cheap suits.

Tom

6. I have seen people put shorties over their fulls. I only tried this once and was not pleased with the results. My set up was very restrictive. If you are not pinching pennies, renting for the odd long brutal cold canyon is always an option while owning a suit that fits your general 80% use.

If you keep at this, you'll be like many of us. My closet door in my office is open @ the moment and I see 3 wetsuits, a vest and my drysuit. :) Boys love toys!

Neil

nelsonccc nelsonccc@yahoo.com> wrote: I'm a big guy, 220# and tend to run warm. I'm looking for something that will cover the shorter canyons in the spring and maybe do double duty in Kolob or Imlay this summer. I'm leaning towards a 3/2 full suit with a vest or jacket over it for the longer canyons. Thank for your response.

7. Brando

Brando Guest

I got a camaro canyoneering farmer john off www.sierratradingpost.com, pretty cheap too. Keep an eye on it.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "nelsonccc" <nelsonccc@y...> wrote: > After having done several Zion canyons, I've decided that I need to > purchase a wetsuit, probably within the next couple of days. I'm > hoping someone can help me to decide wether to get a full suit or a > farmer john/jacket combo or maybe something else entirely and what > kind of thickness I need 3/2 or 4/3 or maybe even thicker. Any advice > is appreciated.
  8. gajslk

gajslk Guest

Just make sure that it fits well, a crappy wetsuit that fits is warmer than a great one that doesn't. You don't want rapid water exchange. Think tight. In my good suit, it takes a couple of minutes for my chest to get wet after I start swimming. It's only a 4/3 but it's way toasty. Smooth skin is much warmer but less durable than the ones with the cloth outer surface. I wear shorts on the outside of mine to protect it. One piece suits have the most warmth for the weight, and I've never worn a farmer john that was warm enough to be worth carrying.

Gordon

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "nelsonccc" <nelsonccc@y...> wrote: > After having done several Zion canyons, I've decided that I need to > purchase a wetsuit, probably within the next couple of days. I'm > hoping someone can help me to decide wether to get a full suit or a > farmer john/jacket combo or maybe something else entirely and what > kind of thickness I need 3/2 or 4/3 or maybe even thicker. Any advice > is appreciated.
  9. The longer I do this the more I'm tending to agree with the below statement. My friends who own John Jacket combos always tend to have more issues with water exchange, plus the weigh more and are bulkier to pack.

Neil

gajslk gajslk@worldnet.att.net> wrote: One piece suits have the most warmth for the weight, and I've never worn a farmer john that was warm enough to be worth carrying.

Gordon

Small Business - Try our new Resources site!
  10. orsdoc

orsdoc Guest

I have five different wet suits including farmer johns and jackets. I have to agree that for warmth per pound the full suit that fits tight and has taped seems is the best. There are times when the farmer john and jacket combo is nice but when it is warmth I want I get out the full suit.

Mark

> The longer I do this the more I'm tending to agree with the below statement. My friends who own John Jacket combos always tend to have more issues with water exchange, plus the weigh more and are bulkier to pack.
    Neil
    gajslk <gajslk@w...> wrote: > One piece suits have the most warmth for the weight, and > I've never worn a farmer john that was warm enough to be worth carrying.
    Gordon

> > > Small Business - Try our new Resources site!
  11. Christian

Christian Guest

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I ended up purchasing a 3/2 full suit. Looking forward to using it this weekend.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "orsdoc" <rosenmark@q...> wrote: > I have five different wet suits including farmer johns and jackets. > I have to agree that for warmth per pound the full suit that fits > tight and has taped seems is the best. There are times when the > farmer john and jacket combo is nice but when it is warmth I want I > get out the full suit.
    Mark

> The longer I do this the more I'm tending to agree with the below > statement. My friends who own John Jacket combos always tend to > have more issues with water exchange, plus the weigh more and are > bulkier to pack.

Neil

gajslk <gajslk@w...> wrote:
    One piece suits have the most warmth for the weight, and
    I've never worn a farmer john that was warm enough to be worth > carrying.

Gordon

Small Business - Try our new Resources site!