Send us a suggestion!

Need: Canyoneering Related Eagle Project Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inventme, Jun 25, 2017.

1. inventme

inventme Travis

Hi forum. My two boys are in need of an Eagle Scout project and would like it related to Canyoneering, if possible. Any ideas? Southern Utah area.

Thanks in advance.
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  2. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

I could use a personal pack mule on my trips otherwise I can't think of anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    scottensign likes this.
  3. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

I think if they created a brochure that promoted good canyoneering ethics and style, it would be very helpful to the outdoor community. Writing, editing, and publishing the brochure would be hard enough but the real challenge will be in getting the brochure out to the vacationing public. I envision little cardboard display cases with "BSA" and "Eagle Scout" printed on it. Then the brochures are neatly stacked in the display case ready for anyone to pick one up.

If the NPS and BLM would let you place the display cases in their permit offices or at trailheads, that would make them easily available.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  4. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Something like this?

https://www.canyoneering.net/docs/booklet.pdf

In the early aughts, the above was printed and distributed to outdoor stores, REIs, etc. Not sure how many printings, but it got around. If I recall correctly, it was also available at the Zion Wilderness Desk for awhile.

Attached Files:

5. GravityWins

GravityWins

Talk to the local land managers and see if they have a list of projects. The local BLM and Forest Service offices may have just what you need already categorized. Be aware they may also have restrictions on who can perform certain types of work. I know the forest service prohibits minors from operating some power tools on their projects. In a canyoneering specific project I can envision them being reluctant to have young volunteers performing tasks that require they be roped in. Talking to the land manager before the young men get too excited about a particular project will help prevent disappointment.

Some successful projects I have seen include graffiti removal, mapping of artifact and historical sites, revegetation, Information kiosk installation, and blocking off atv access to foot trails.
  6. inventme

inventme Travis

My boys would probably qualify more as "pack goats" vs. "pack mules".
  7. inventme

inventme Travis

Good idea, but sounds like it has been covered.
  8. inventme

inventme Travis

Thanks. That's a good start. I'll have them make some calls. Maybe they need some help studying protected species in Goose? :happy:
  9. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

That is a great booklet.
  10. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

In 2008 there was a test of personal locator beacons deep inside Zion National Park canyons. It would be interesting to test the current generation of emergency notification devices like the SPOT. While it is unlikely that these device would ping out of a canyon, determine what conditions permit a signal to be received in a canyon setting might be very useful knowledge.
  11. Kuenn

Kuenn

X2 with contacting land managers and NP service personnel; they usually have a lengthy project todo list for volunteers. There's always trail maintenance and erosion control, possible hand rail and signage repairs. Your boys might even be able to recruit some resources from the canyoneering community to help out.

Thanks for wanting to give back!
  12. Chris Harmon

Chris Harmon geckobiker