Send us a suggestion!

Nature of Purgatory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UtahNich, Nov 22, 2018.

1. UtahNich

UtahNich

I've read two descriptions for Purgatory. One says it will take roughly 3-5 hours and has very little water-holding capacity. Another says it will take 6-8 hours and can hold quite a bit of water - wetsuit required. That's quite a discrepancy, unless it was drastically changed by a flood sometime between the two write-up's. I was wondering what everyone else's experience with this canyon has been.
    ratagonia and Ram like this.
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I’ve only done it once, but time wise I think 3-5 is the better estimate. It was dry when we did it, but I can’t remember what its potential for holding water was.
    Ram likes this.
  3. Ram

Ram

Three to five hours is good, although one can take one's time and make a day of it, as the canyon faces south and can be quite pleasant in the colder months. It does have some water holding capacity in its lower part, but does not hold water, for long, after storms. An anchor or two, one mid canyon, one low canyon, often has to be rebuilt, after storms. A reliable spring, especially in the cooler months, is available at the bottom of the technical section. A nice and moderately easy canyon.
    R
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. Flatiron

Flatiron

Beta on canyons varies on different websites. IMHO the website describing Purgatory as 6-8 is consistently 'conservative' on times. If Purgatory takes you 6-8 hrs you probably took a 3 hr nap. Pick beta from one site, test it against your actual times and skills and then adjust accordingly. Or use a different website for beta.
    Ram and ratagonia like this.
  5. UtahNich

UtahNich

Thank you everybody for the good information!
    Ram likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

How did it go?
  7. UtahNich

UtahNich

Ah, well, I was planning on going this week, but it looks like there could be up to half a foot of snow there! Just have to wait for some drier weather!