Send us a suggestion!

My Little Buddy's 1st Canyon, El Capitan, AZ

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by pyle762, Feb 2, 2018.

1. pyle762

pyle762

My family and I went through El Capitan canyon to celebrate New Year's Day. It was also my youngest son's first time through a canyon. He has been tagging along on hiking, hunting, fishing trips, etc. since he was old enough to walk, and now he has his first canyon down. He did really well on the tethered rappels and had tons of fun. The hardest part for him was scrabbling over the river rocks and his little legs got tired after hiking as far as we did.

El Capitan was a good canyon for the family. It is only about 1.5 miles total including the approach and exit (except for the person shuttling the car- Me :wavespin:) and all the rappels are short and easy. It packs a lot a bang for the buck with some really cool scenery. Everyone had a great time, and my teen age kids are getting pretty good at their skills with setting up rappels and retrieves, etc. (except for the 2:00 mark, where you can see where they feed way too much rope on the rappel side and shorted the pull side. :rolleyes: )

2. Kuenn

Kuenn

That's Precious!!

Really like the partner assist techniques for "little buddy". If only I could get my team to do that for me!

c1-COLLAGE.
    pyle762 likes this.
  3. pyle762

pyle762

That is awesome Kuenn! Thanks for the collage! By the way, those helmets are getting some good usage!
    Kuenn likes this.