Send us a suggestion!

multi-day technical recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joey Brink, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Joey Brink

Joey Brink

We are looking for recommendations for our next week of canyoneering in early September 2018. Last year we spent 5 days in Escalante, backpacking in to the mouth of Neon and descending Neon, Baker, and Ringtail. We loved backpacking into a remote location and setting up a basecamp, with lots of technical challenges nearby.

Something similar would be amazing! We're a group of 4 or 5. We like wet canyons, but have only ever tackled Class 3 canyons We would also consider technical multi-day trips without a basecamp.

Thanks for any recommendations! We'll consider anything on the Colorado Plateau!
  2. Ram

Ram

The Grand Canyon.....offers dozens of said opportunities. Cove Canyon might be a great first choice. Tatahatsu also. Upper Deer Creek area, the middle fork in particular,. Kanab Creek, if you have week or more, out of a base camp coming in from Indian Springs, can include overnights within overnight, including Whispering Falls, Rattlesnake, Kirk's Chasm, Scotty's Hollow, Crack Baby. The 150 Mile, Panameta, via Metcatamebia, is great, with adding Olo for several more days.

All that said, early September is mighty hot and one better be sure that recent storms make water needs easier. The travel in Grand Canyon is rigorous and often slow. Permits need to be obtained. All of these suggested route, require pack rafts, which is a big and wonderful plus, to the overall experience. Here lay "Expedition Canyoneering." The rewards are beyond evaluation. Prepare well and budget time.

Grand Canyoneering by Todd Martin is a great resource and can expedite the learning process. Do NOT underestimate the challenges though.

Safe Passage
    Ram
    Joey Brink likes this.
  3. Joey Brink

Joey Brink

Thanks for the recommendations Ram! I have a copy of Todd Martin's book and I've been eyeing these Grand Canyon routes with a lot of interest and caution. I've always thought we'll get there someday - but perhaps this is the year! We don't own packrafts yet - any recommendations for something affordable? I saw a group on another thread using the Kylmit light water dinghy. Lots more research to do, but your specific recs are a great jumping off point.

Still welcoming any other route recommendations!
  4. zul

zul

It's a full pound heavier than the others but the price is right ...

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Explorer-2-Person-Inflatable-Boat/dp/B000RZFBKW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530627991&sr=8-3-spons&keywords=explorer 300&psc=1

I've run Tatahatso and Silver Grotto with the Explorer 200. This cheap rig came up BIG when an expensive pack raft blew into pieces. We ran 4 miles in the Colorado with 2 people in the Explorer. Spread packs into the other rafts.

I glued a skeg onto one of mine. For longer paddles, it tracks real straight:

https://www.seaeagle.com/Accessorie...pl5G0QzXunTx7xFIH8XGeBr7PKiytvO0aAvBLEALw_wcB
    Ram and Joey Brink like this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

At CanyoneeringUSA, we have Supai Pool Toys available for rent. $30.00 per use-day - ie, days actually used ON the river. ONLY available for Colorado River trips. Reservations required (usually).

Tom
    Ram and Joey Brink like this.
  6. Joey Brink

Joey Brink

Thanks for the packraft recommendations zul and Tom! Great to know about some other options including rentals!
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Personally, I would recommend against going to most of the Grand Canyon in early September. It will likely be extremely hot, as in life threatening heat. Even an average day then is 101F/39C and it can be a lot hotter than that (up to 110F/43C).

I'd go somewhere in the Escalante or Sedona area. Also consider Long and Gravel Canyons. Maybe the West Canyon or Aztec Creek areas too. Mancos Mesa is a nice remote place full of slot canyons, but it would be a hot dry hike to get out there.

One thing to keep in mind is that early September is flash flood season. If you are on a multi-day trip it will be harder to get a weather forecast when you are out for days. Watch the weather closely.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Joey Brink likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Right Fork in Zion makes a great 3-day trip. Several trip reports are available on here.

Tom
    Taylor, Joey Brink and Tom Collins like this.
  9. Joey Brink

Joey Brink

Thanks for your advice Scott and Tom! The Right Fork in Zion has been on my radar for the last few days. I'm checking out your recommendations too Scott - Long, Gravel, West, Aztec Creek.

After Ram's initial recommendation for the Grand Canyon, I've been reading Todd Martin's book pretty thoroughly over the last few days. Concerned about heat as well, I think we'll shy away from most of the Grand Canyon trips. But I wonder what you all think about visiting Kanab Creek and the Eastern Tributaries (Whispering Falls, Rattlesnake, Kirk's Chasm) in the first week of September? In Todd's book, he lists the preferred season for these hikes as "spring, summer, fall", whereas many other routes have preferred seasons of "spring, fall". I know this is because the water in the slots can be very cold, and may not mean that the overland hiking is any more bearable, or is it? We have a full week and could make a nice trip here.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice!