Send us a suggestion!

Most ridiculous trip report ever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, May 15, 2020.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Fat Canyoner likes this.
  2. gajslk

gajslk

Dang. Now I have to add cigarettes to my list of essentials. :eek:
    Tom Collins likes this.
  3. W.B.

W.B.

Just wow. America, we truly are exceptional.
  4. CamAnderson

CamAnderson

[ACCIDENT REPORT]

My feet got muddy and I didn't bring enough jelly beans. Just wanted to make sure everyone can learn from my mistakes and this never happens again.
  5. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

6. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

Probably taking out of context....

"But we went four days after a huge rainstorm that completely flooded the canyon...slogging through mud, wading through cesspools of standing water up to our neck, sinking in quicksand, rappelling down boulders, and generally destroying our bodies.
    Protect your feet.
    Kevin bought some fancy water shoes for our canyoneering trip. You think they’re the right tool, but they’re not. (1) They don’t have a hard enough sole to walk on rocks and (2) you’ll cut your foot open with your own hiking pole in a CESSPOOL and have bubonic plague swimming into your open wound for two days. There were literally dead mice and bats in some of these cesspools. Not places you want bathe an open wound."

Four days after a rain storm.... cesspools...this guy hasn't experienced the true reality of canyoneering!!! I've been in Keyhole after an epic winter season...but not until July 4th weekend...that was a cesspool. I've been down The Jug, parting 1 inch of moss in front of me and swimming around a dead, floating and bloated Gila monster that still managed to have bugs eating it!!! And I ain't experienced nothing. You guys here tell me about extended walks on magots... AFTER smelling their prey for hundreds of feet in a canyon!!! Or pushing a bear carcass off the lip of a keeper pot...after rapping into the pot to start with...after hiking some ways down the canyon first!!! I've done the upper half of lower water holes after a wet spring...at the end of June...where I retired a brand new ATS after one canyon outing there was so much stagnant water to go through!!! And that was trying to be careful!!! I have a friend who I had to help clean a car after a week in Zion because we brought so much of the cesspool back with us that the carseats were a cesspool!!!

No joke...Buckskin is a serious place...and I am sure the account is ... dramatized ... to what extent l, I can not say!!! Have fun out there guys!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    NM Ben likes this.
  7. Smhunter1983

Smhunter1983

Hahahah this is great. Having done Paria Canyon (White House to Lees Ferry) I do know the slog of the mud. He just needed to do a tad more research and planning. Glad they made it out ok and didn't need rescue. (wonder if he knew about the middle out escape route?). I had a little issue with the GPS but when the canyon opens here and there you get a signal and it updates. Otherwise, he couldn't have picked a worse time to traverse that 4 days after a flood. I guess he could have picked a worse time, which would be just before it flash flooded.
    ratagonia likes this.
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

[QUOTE="Smhunter1983, post: 118174, member: Otherwise, he couldn't have picked a worse time to traverse that 4 days after a flood. I guess he could have picked a worse time, which would be just before it flash flooded.[/QUOTE]

I did the upper half last August right after it flashed. There was mud, but a lot of water to cool things off. The canyon was flowing (though the Paria was not). Since it was summer, I'm glad it just flashed, even though there was mud. It was also interesting to have a running stream throughout the canyon.