Send us a suggestion!

Most isolated car camping spot in southern utah

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marlowe, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Marlowe

Marlowe

I am looking to take a small non technical group out to southern utah for some camping and maybe some ropeless hikes. I wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions for some bueatiful places to camp suitable for up to 8 days where you are sure to never see anyone else. We have high clearance and 4wd.
  2. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

no such thing as "sure" when it comes to car camping, but if you haven't been into the Maze area of Canyonlands, try accessing Maze Overlook via the Flint trail. Magical down there...
    Rapterman and John Styrnol like this.
  3. gajslk

gajslk

That's a tough one. Nice places where there's 8 days worth of decent hiking handy tend to be popular. Places where you are likely not to see anyone for 8 days tend to be not as nice ... and places where you are guaranteed not to see anyone for 8 days tend to be cow pastures.

Gordon
    Rapterman and Deagol like this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Maybe try the Sweet Alice Road and the Dark Canyon Plateau Roads on the north side of Dark Canyon. There are many hikes off the road and I've never seen anyone there on several trips. There are lots of great canyons, pictographs, and ruins to hike to in that area.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    JayVo and John Styrnol like this.
  5. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Great suggestion.
  6. Marlowe

Marlowe

Sweat, thanks for the tips. Ive been meaning to check out that dark canyon area.
  7. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Many entry's/exit's for Dark Canyon. Is Dark Canyon the longest canyon in Utah?
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Not by a long shot.
  9. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Well, I always thought it was 30 miles long, I just now read it's 40 miles. I never knew there were canyons longer than that here in Utah. Thanks.
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Well, I always thought it was 30 miles long, I just now read it's 40 miles. I never knew there were canyons longer than that here in Utah.

It's probably the 2nd or 3rd longest non-raftable/floatable canyon. The major river canyons, such as Desolation and Labyrinth are much longer. There is also Glen Canyon, if you count Lake Powell. There are also the river canyon such as Escalante, which is a continuous canyon from at least Highway 12 to Lake Powell.

Of the non floatable canyons, White Canyon is longer and possibly Sweetwater as well.

I've been meaning to check out that dark canyon area.

Even on the roads, you almost never see anyone on the north side and the Dark Canyon Plateau. There are actually a lot of canyons besides Dark up there that are good hikes.
  11. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Thanks Scott.
  12. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

FYI
    Flint Trail:impassable due to rock-fall and snow
  13. Red Cloud

Red Cloud

Was at the Hans Flat Ranger Station March 26 & 29 2015. The Flint Trail into Maze Overlook and other environs is OPEN - staff said it opened "mid week". Car camp permits are limited (I believe) to 4 nites in one spot. With permits though, one could move around and hike into certain zones where one may, see no one else. I know such spots in the Maze, but will not mention. Escalante region has other remote areas that are supreme and high on solitude. Glen Canyon Recreation Area also has many options. Easy to spend 4 nites in one area and then shift for another 4 nites. There is so much to see and explore in red rock country (BLM, Forest Service) zones included. (But are some of these properties at future risk of being taken over by the ALEC political crowd that have NO instinct or heart for the solace and majesty of desert ecosystems?)
  14. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean Master of the obvious

Marlowe, call me. If posted publicly, the "never see anyone" factor would be compromised. I have spots I can share though.
    Bill likes this.
  15. Canyonero

Canyonero

Me too but I'm worried someone would find the bodies if I publicized them.
    Sandstone Addiction likes this.