Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Morocco - March 29, 2013

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Erik, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Erik

Erik

After a late night drive, Morocco seemed like a great way to introduce several friends from Idaho to the North Wash area. We left camp mid-morning and after the short approach hike were ready to drop into the canyon less than an hour later. Several folks were a bit surprised by the cairn anchor and eyed it suspiciously. We were soon down the first rappel and down climbing to the small pothole around the corner. After stemming over the pothole, we passed under an arch and came to the next short rappel off of a chockstone. From there we had several short rappels and downclimbs to the bottom of the canyon right next to the highway. We were at the car in time for lunch and then headed over to Hogwarts for the afternoon.

The snowy peaks always provide a great contrast.
    P3298764ed.

The cairn anchor at the first rappel.
    P3298773ed.

Great formations above the canyon.
    P3298778ed.

Looking back up the first rap.
    P3298782ed.

Nice lighting around the corner.
    P3298795ed.

Down climbing to the pothole.
    P3298796ed.

Looking down at the pothole.
    P3298797ed.

Stemming over.
    P3298819ed.

Malia bridges over.
    P3298836ed.

The chockstone rappel.
    P3298853ed.

Another short down climb/rappel.
    P3298856ed.

Bridging over a small pool.
    P3298868ed.

Another cairn anchor.
    P3298880ed.

Gift wrapping a rock.
    P3298904ed.

Demonstrating her dancing on the final rappel.
    P3298926ed.

Featured Image for the Homepage
    slide.
    canyoncaper, Moab Mark, Bill and 3 others like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Wow, those cairns have once again gotten really big. :(

Tom
  3. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

It simple physics Tom. If you have 4 canyoneers weighing 140, 180, 195, 135. That means you need 650 pounds of rocks to off set the sum of the canyoneers weight. :D
  4. Stephanie

Stephanie

I think we were in there just a few hours after you. Perfect day for it!
    Erik likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I see the problem.

For future canyon descents, Mike, when all canyoneers rappel at the same time, we try to have everyone use their OWN anchor. :rolleyes2:

Tom
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

:D

Hmmm, got thinking a bit on forces. Taking the thread on a tangent a bit... We know it is actually less force on the anchor than the sum. Given distance of the rope, and then the bend over the lip, there is some additional friction in play which reduces the force. And if you rappel low (not as a lever), even less force is put on the anchor. Then if you add your body friction, less again. Good practices we know.

I read this, then pondered a bit toward a question on an actual mechanical force analysis. Has someone done this and then validated it with field experiment? I would be interested in reading up on any proof done: difference on length of rope vs. angle of the lip vs. anchor weight. What are the ratios? (anchor 95%, lip angle 4%, length of rope/terrain 1%, ??)

One example was Tom's post on pulling the water anchor, ouch. So we know the forces at play obviously do not approach zero, but it would be interesting to know how close it was for Tom? Would only 1-2 more lbs made the difference? Would a faster rap on the free hang part make up for say, a lack of 5 lbs? I hear about all these principles that help, just not clear on how much.

OK, bit of a ramble I suppose, but I'll post my pondering. In practice, if the anchor moves a bit, adjust. ;)
  7. Alane Urban

Alane Urban

We went through Morocco a few days after you. After being in Larry with Tom and inspecting and cleaning up all the anchors, I was ready to do that in Morocco. To my pleasure, they were all in good shape, easy rope pulls and solid. Thanks for doing that work so we didn't have to. Fun canyon - lots of play for a short one. And, Malia... love the rappel dance!
    Erik and msmnificent like this.
  8. msmnificent

msmnificent Moderator Staff Member

Nice pictures Eric! Alane, thanks for the comment about the anchors... we cleaned a couple, and it is nice to know that it is appreciated and others are out there making the effort too!
    Erik likes this.
  9. Doug Murray

Doug Murray

I've been trying to get into Morocco for a long time, and finally made it on April 5. It did not disappoint. A fun little playground will a lot packed into a small space. (After doing Irish canyons, these anchor cairns were downright HUGE. The anchors all looked good, with new webbing (thanks), we did move a rolled aluminum rap ring on one drop and replaced it with a rapide, however.
    canyoncaper and Erik like this.