Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Morocco, L & Middle Lep, Hogwarts

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by E. Risa, Mar 30, 2013.

1. E. Risa

E. Risa

This was my second trip to the North Wash. Lee and I drive down from Logan, so we picked out two mini-slots to bookend the trip and planned to finish up our tour of Leprechaun on Saturday (R Fork the previous weekend). DSCF2511.
    Me, Friday afternoon, making the approach to Morocco look harder than it needs to. Our new slickrock motto for the weekend: if it feels like you're climbing, and the route description doesn't mention climbing, you're doing it wrong.
    DSCF2516.
    A pretty stripey wall in Morocco, before we tossed the pack over a puddle and busted the camera's pelican case. No more pics from Morocco... but the length made it an AWESOME first day late afternoon canyon, super beautiful fun little jaunt.

We started our Lep day in decent season, left camp somewhere around 9ish, and took the "head for the diving board" approach past the top of R Lep. The wind was blowing pretty strongly, and I was glad to be in the semi-protected bowl instead of over on the buttress approach (eek). The path across the desert to the head of the canyon is pretty well defined, looks like there's been a lot of cows wandering around up there too. Before too long we dropped in and right away it was skinny and gorgeous.
    DSCF2532.
    This part reminded me of caving.
    DSCF2560.
    Pretty much sums up the day right here.
    DSCF2570.
    Much, much later, heading under some chockstones.
    DSCF2579.
    Lee on a downclimb/photo op
    DSCF2598.
    It got dark for a little while at the end there...

And then we headed up the buttress to run the Left fork, also super fun, not nearly so squeezy. I thought the two combined made a nice, full day... and then I demolished more chips and salsa than I care to discuss. Full body squeezing/shuffling/etc through Middle Lep can make you hungry!

In the morning we got up and ran Hogwarts, which made a nice contrast in character to the downclimb- and squeeze- heavy Leps. Long, scenic, semi-free hanging rappels make this canyon totally worthwhile. DSCF2613.
    You rap UNDER this arch... stunning!
    DSCF2620.
    Cheesing it up towards the end of the canyon, I think that's Merry Piglet across the way in the background.
    DSCF2624.
    And what North Wash TR is complete without an "I trusted my life to that??" picture!
    I was semi-concerned about mentions of a mini-silo/KPH halfway through the route, but it was totally dry and after scoping it out we just dropped in and scrambled out easily. It looks like it would make a pretty good place to practice pack tosses at some point, too.

As of 3/24, all of the water in all three canyons was 100% avoidable, and conditions were dry in general.

All in all, a great weekend, four canyons, can't wait to get back!

edit-minor detail change

Featured Image for the Homepage
    slide.

Attached Files:

• DSCF2564.
      Filename:
      DSCF2564.jpg
      File size:
      131.9 KB
      Views:
    • DSCF2536.
      Filename:
      DSCF2536.jpg
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
    • DSCF2529.
      Filename:
      DSCF2529.jpg
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
    Jenny, Erik, MrAdam and 5 others like this.
  2. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Awesome!

[​IMG]
    mattwilliams likes this.
  3. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

Nice! Not sure how Hogwarts has evaded me to this point. Great pics and nice trip report. Thanks for sharing!
    E. Risa likes this.
  4. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

We were in North Wash this past weekend. Sandthrax was a mob scene.. camped elsewhere. Did Morocco, Miss Piggy, & East Lep.
    Would like to do Hogwarts sometime.
    By the way, Goblin Valley was also very crowded.